What fruit are you growing

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
Dakota
Canada

What fruit are you growing

Post by Dakota »

Cold Hardy Kiwi- Hey all, thought I'd see if we could start a topic on -what works where- as far as fruit bushes/trees/vines.
We have apple trees, huskup bushes, raspberry, strawberry, saskatoon berries but my newest addition is the cold hardy kiwi. We live mid west Alberta and they are growing at incredible rates. They are a smooth skinned sweet and slightly smaller version of the regular kiwi. You will need a good solid trellis for the vine to grow on as they get pretty hefty. They are said to produce 50-80lbs of fruit per female plant. You will need one male plant to every 4/5 females.

helicopilot
Canada

Re: What fruit are you growing

Post by helicopilot »

Had never heard of the hardy kiwi, but will surely consider them when we move back to AB! They seem low maintenance and the yield looks decent, good source of vitamin C and unlike their bigger cousins, you can eat them without peeling them. I've read that they don't keep well, so what do you plan to do with your harvest (jams, jellies??)
HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady »

I am in Eastern Ontario and have saskatoon bushes, green pepper plants, thai bird pepper plants, strawberries and herbs (cilantro, basil, chives, dill and rosemary) Most except the peppers and basil are almost done for the season.
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”
Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota »

Helicopilot-I purchased them in July and the plants have grown more than three feet in that time. Plant them as soon as your back as fruit production takes a few years. Their delicious by the way.
PrepHer
Canada

Post by PrepHer »

I have strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, sour cherry, saskatoons, and three kinds of apples.
I've tried unsuccessfully to grow pear and nectarines.
ratdogmom
Canada

Post by ratdogmom »

Black and red currants, raspberries, Haskap berries...and rhubarb...a few strawberry plant we set in the garden that were bought as hanging baskets last year.
I only use rhubarb as a "fruit" so I'm counting it ;)
I'm the lady you're stuck behind in the grocery store with the over loaded cart filled with cases of tuna, peanut butter, huge bags of rice and the weary looking husband
Learner
Canada

Post by Learner »

Apples, cherries, plums, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, red currants, jostaberries, elderberries, grapes, crabapples and Saskatoon's.
Danux
Canada

Post by Danux »

Learner wrote:Apples, cherries, plums, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, red currants, jostaberries, elderberries, grapes, crabapples and Saskatoon's.

What kind of grapes are you growing, Learner? Do you have to do anything to winter them? I've sampled Valiant grapes grown in southern Saskatchewan (just planted near a dark, south-facing wall), they were excellent - plump, sweet, and juicy. But I thought that was the only variant that would grow well in Canada.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

hmmm, fruit, apple, pear, peach, cherries (four kinds) plums, elderberry, chokecherry, Chokeberry, High Bush Cranberry, Clove current, Red, Black and White Currents, three kinds of gooseberry, blackberry, rasberries, )four types) Strawberries, (four types) Rhubarb, Grapes, (three kinds) Hardy Kiwi, Blueberry, josta berries, huskup berries, and a odd comeback again yearly gooseberry, mulberries I think that is it at the moment..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio »

Damn girl. That's friggin amazing.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”