Gardens in 2017

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Gardens in 2017

Post by farmgal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Well, its that time of the year now.. can you believe its going to be Feb in a few days

So who is starting onion seeds or very hot pepper plants in the next two weeks?

Who is going to be spending the next few weeks prepping and getting their winter sowing projects out and on the move?

What are you winter sowings this year?

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:37 am

Have plans to get some seeds started this week. At least the peppers. Usually just pick up onion sets when its time for planting.

RachelM
Canada

Post by RachelM » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 am

Got my seeds in the mail a few days ago, but won't be starting anything until the end of the month. Although I did bring the bag of soil indoors, since I left it out and it's a frozen brick.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:15 am

Any recommendations as to when I should start my seeds indoor? I have looked at a few websites, but I'm confused since some of my crops (tomato, pepper, cucumber) will go into the greenhouse. Other crops (cauliflower, broccoli and some other cucumbers) will go in the garden. I'm in the Edmonton area. Some sites offer recommendations, but differences are not made whether the crop will be grown in a greenhouse or in a garden.

Any suggestions?

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:52 am

Unfortunately, I did not grow all my greens in the greenhouse for my winter garden. I was simply too busy and had a lot of unlucky family incidents that occurred in 2016. I'm glad to see a new year and hope this year has some more positive things on the home front! I'm excited about the new possibilities for our 2017 garden. We have improved the garden by adding double the space and boxes. Last years garden was awesome mid summer but the group was hit hard by hail. I have decided to change up my potatoes as I found last years experiment was not as good as 2014/2015. These last potatoes produced about 20% less and did not store as well as ones produced in prior years. Our group decided for 2016 that we would order four types of potatoes we had not tried before and we all grew them with different techniques. All of us were only so-so about the results. As far as the rest of the garden-I'm going to trying a variety of squash to see which will do best in this area. The rest of my boxes will contain my usual. All my other seeds are on order and should be here within a week. I order all my seeds from Salt Springs Seeds and have for years! Eagerly waiting for April!!!

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Rachel, For sure, you need to have time for your dirt to thaw and warm up.. I have a few big bags in the little barn, and I have only brought one in the house so far.

Helicop: I know your area, and in a general things, you don't want to plant anything outside before May long weekend and even then sometimes, you can have frost till the first week of june for the real tender plants .. now for greenhouse, that makes things a touch more tricky, because its going to let you do a lot of things early but how early really depends so much on what kind of day and night temps your greenhouse is holding, it also depends on if you have a cold sink in your greenhouse (raised beds, with a lower area in the middle of the greenhouse that the cold will "sink" into) also if you have any heat sinks in the greenhouse itself, example dark or black water barrels that take in heat all day from the sun and thermal and releases it back into the greenhouse during the night..

But in a direct answer.. Mid Feb is the time we want to plant onion seeds (not sets), and we are coming into our pepper seed starting inside, I recommend the baggy method for starting the seeds and then into their trays with a heated bottom. The next few weeks are perfect for starting your winter sow seeds in the greenhouse itself, and as for tomato's, your earliest ones that are going to go in the bigger pots for the greenhouse, you can start at the end of Feb, but hold off till mid-march for starting your larger numbers that will be moved to the ground outside May long.. AS for cucumbers, you can start them in mid-march, and have one or two big plants growing in the greenhouse for early cuc's but otherwise, just start four weeks from your may long weekend, just remember to harden them off really well.. you want them ideally short stout and thick at 4 to 6 true leaves when putting them out, so they should not be started to early.. for regular garden cucumbers.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Sounds like great plans for your coming year Dakota, its always a good thing to be studying what produces better for your area and for storage, I think many of us will be expanding our gardens this year to help grow more food.

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks farmgal! I knew you would offer some great info for Helicopilot. Wondering how different your growing is where you're at compared to here? We lived in Ontario on a farm near Base Borden for 3 years but I was much younger and don't remember.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:54 pm

raised in alberta the first 26 years of my life and had my own garden within my moms big garden from age of 8.. gardened very tradional as child-teen and even into early 20's but really eye open and extanded when in nwt an Nunavut.. had to learn new ways of things an doing..

I am zone 5 here on the farm..

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for the tips indeed Farmgal! I have a day off today so I'll try to do some garden preps, including arranging pick up of pea straw bales and getting some seed starting soil. My next few weeks will be busy with work so I might be a bit late with starting the seeds, but better late than never.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”