Gardens in 2017

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
peppercorn

Re: Gardens in 2017

Post by peppercorn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:34 am

Same here, I set my plants outside to get some sun maybe 6 -7 days ago. it must have been too cool before I brought them back it, everything is now stunted, 50 plants will maybe be a right off.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm

well, the good news is its end of march... start them again :)
Live an learn and it need be, remember you can always buy starts from the garden center if all else fails :)
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:18 pm

peppercorn wrote:Same here, I set my plants outside to get some sun maybe 6 -7 days ago. it must have been too cool before I brought them back it, everything is now stunted, 50 plants will maybe be a right off.
Give them a chance to come back.. what kind.. tomatoes will most likely recover now if they were all pepper babies.. hmmm.. that could be a different ball game

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:40 pm

.. what kind..

Cherry roma tomatos, peppers, Yellow tomatos, Roma tomatos. Principe Borghese tomatos, Rio Grande tomatos, and Cucumbers.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

Gave up this AM. Some tomatoes are on life support and a few may come back. I've re-seeded the peppers and marigolds (I use them for companion plating). I'm out of tomato seeds, so I'll go in town and buy something off the rack - I learned a lesson about having all my eggs in the same basket!

althetrainer
Canada

Post by althetrainer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:14 am

It's too cold here in Calgary to leave my plants out even just overnight. I grow them indoor under grow lights. Just last week, I got 50+ little tomatoes as my last harvest of my first winter crops. Cloned two new tomato plants a month ago to replace the first two that I just removed. These two should last until late May when we can start planting outside.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:33 pm

it is so true, you can take a cutting from your favorite, root it up late fall, over winter and in the spring, trim an create many more babies ready to go out in the same way.. thanks for reminding folks of that way of doing so

Limitkiller
Canada

Post by Limitkiller » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm going to try basically wild planting beets on a friend's property. Choose a location, amend soil as best as I can with locally available materials, plant seeds and see how it goes.

My wife and I are also going to try our hand at indoor growing of vegetables and herbs.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Beds are tilled, walk paths are mulched with straw and wood chips. Last year's sprouted potatoes are planted in my front yard's "flower beds" while I'm waiting for my seed potatoes ordered online. Onions planted. Zucchinis in pots in the greenhouse. Picking up my saskatoon berries trees from the County Ag dept next week (5 for $12... I'm guessing they'll be about an inch tall, but hey). Haskaps and red currants bushes should be in in a couple of weeks. Discovered that one of the tree we have on a property is a pear tree, meaning we now have 2.

I'm happy... will be happier with some guarantee that spring will stay!

Finally, tore down an old aluminium "garden shed" that had no use, was an eyesore and a safety risk with the (no so) little ones. Realized that the shed was filled with mice droppings, so masked up, poured out copious amounts of diluted bleach and cleaned up the place. Tin Cats mouse traps now strategically located around the property, pending the right opportunity to get a Real Cat ;)

RachelM
Canada

Post by RachelM » Thu May 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Does anyone have experience with Jerusalem Artichokes? I have a small patch near our driveway that I'd like to expand elsewhere. How can I got about multiplying them?

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”