Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post by farmgal » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:48 pm

ok.. went away for long weekend and lots of catch up reading to do..

I have the plant led lights that I use in house only for plant starts.. works great.. does use power! always at least a ten dollar bump per month when I start my early plants. and you would need a lot more for a green house as I am running thre long shelves

second nikki is awesome, we are facebook friends, I have friends here in Ottawa area that she as interviewed for her radio show, you have to have the plants started at a certain stage and they git dormant mode dec-jan and first half of feb, then the sun light angle changes and you get growth starting again as long as you keep the snow shovels and or swept off. cole has a great system where you do the covered crops in ground with hoop house in a double layer that works like a trick!

third.. high hoe came this weekend and dug the 19 by 19 by 3.5 foot base for my big old storm garden-food producing permaculture berms around it, also clears some more trees around my main garden area.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Grapes are done for the year. that's crazy soon.. We had our first hard frost on SEPT 9th! that's five weeks early compared to the stat norm in our area.. and the weather temps are all over the place.. 43c last week, less then a week later hard frost and now at moment we are in below normal temps on the cooler side..

Very hard weather on the garden and plants.

Having said that.. pasta sauce batch put up.. so many peppers, grape juice put up, grape jelly put up.. Zucchini Relish done for the year..

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 am

First winter turned to summer without spring and now summer to winter without fall, must have 6 inches of snow in my yard!
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:25 pm

wow, I knew you had snow coming but not six inches.. let me know if it melts or if that is it.. winter is there
Did you get everything off the garden?

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 pm

I’ve had 2” now for three days straight. Supposed to get to mid single digit and maybe melt down today, possibly mid tens this week. I still have half my potatoes in the ground, some beets and been plants who are now obviously dead...

Greenhouse is kept warm with a small heater and I still have tomatoes going strong there.

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:49 pm

We had about 5" of wet snow. As of today (Monday) it is mostly all melted. Now there is more rain forecast. We are getting all the moisture now that we didn't get over the summer. The forecast for here is for a couple of nicer days then back to colder weather. Still have chard, carrots and beets in the gardens. Have the onions and garlic hanging in a shed drying, but they are taking forever with the cool weather and no sun. Finished digging up all the potatoes just as the rain and cooler weather started. Pulled all of the tomatoes and now have them on ripening on the kitchen table. Will be canning the ripe ones this week. Have already made green tomato pickles, mincemeat, green tomato jam and some red tomato jam.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks for the update Learner, They said we were going to have frost this weekend but it missed our farm so things are still trucking along.. I did another batch of salsa, ground cherry jam and Mock (zuccinhi) pineapple fruit.. We don't have much left on tomato's.. they are in the final push which is fine, they have been producing well since end of july..

Its fall today at a cold wind with a temp of ten.. I am glad to hear your snow melted.

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:29 pm

sadly, I got almost nothing this year.... over 24 dozen tomato plants and it has only been in the last 2 weeks that there has been tomatoes on the plants. It looks like I will be doing up a few "mini greenhouses" to see if I can get the tomatoes to keep growing.

Others that I have spoken to had the same kind of issues - lots of flowers, lots of bees but not fruit setting.

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 am

Killing frost coming this weekend here. Over the last couple of days have gotten over half an inch of rain. Plenty cold here.

In the middle of summer didn't think there were going to be much on our tomatoes, lots of flowers, but no fruit. Then, all of a sudden there was all sorts of tomatoes growing. Ended up with a decent crop in the end.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Fianlayy had flowers on tomato plants but only had fruit in late September. Picked them all off on weekend and all still hard green.

Carrots were limited in quantity and are stew ready / so short they don’t need cutting.

Beats are tiny.

No beans or peas grew.

No green thumb but I have had far better success with less effort in the past.

While not gardening, deer and turkey populations are the worst I have seen on the property since 1995. Same comments from farmers nearby. Going to have to rethink approach and efforts for next year.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”