Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
helicopilot
Canada

Re: Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post by helicopilot » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:27 am

Damn Birds!! ;)

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Denob wrote:I've never given the rainfall a second thought to be honest. I always figured that since I have my own well that taps into an underground spring that I had all the water I ever needed. Then, last night it dawned on me...only two decent rainfalls here since planting day. I'm not worried whatsoever about the well going dry, but the ability to pump water out of it is a different story. Having some stored water has advantages, and not just for personal use and gardening...think wild fires. I am going to look into a few of those big water totes that I can fill with well water and be able to harvest rain water with as well. That will give me 4 water sources...
1 - deep well with electric pump
2 - shallow well with buckets and rope
3 - lake across the road
4 - water stored in totes
One is none, two is one, three is for me, four is more!
Denob; LOVE your "One is none, two is one, three is for me, four is more!" nails my MO perfectly

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:26 am

We are having a heat wave in Alberta, I went looking to find historical records and stumbled on to a very interesting site it has not been updated since 2010 but has the data records from 1950 to 2010 with a resolution of 10 sqkm for the entire province. it takes a little dicking around to get familiar with the site but the trend lines are interesting.
http://www.albertaclimaterecords.com/#
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:36 pm

Very interesting on that data Peppercorn, thanks for the link..

We had a bobcat come in and dig fence posts 4 feet down so that our new fence posts were below the frost line for our neck of the woods and I was a bit shocked to see that the ground was so dry even four feet down, even the clay was dry.. and its not july yet. The pasture has been holding well, the gardens are growing great and the rain we have been getting has been filling the rain barrels.

It gave me false sense of the farm doing better, where in point in a fact the ground is itself very dry.. We might have a few showers coming over this week and I hope we get them.. I have some outstanding crops coming and I can only do so much watering if needed.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:02 pm

Ps on a side note, while this strangely didn't hit the farm, on a weather note. Those in Ottawa are talking about the fact that last night went down to 9 and that many of the gardeners an hot weather crops got effected last night on June 25th, I figured at least it was not snow, like they got in Newfoundland :)

I expect the coming heat will be a big push in regards to all our cool weather crops, there will be a lot of bolting going on this week and next.. hopefully folks will be able to harvest those crops and replant that space in the garden afterwards.

On the flip side, my hay tree's are rocking it, and I will be able to take a full second cut off them over the next few weeks, I am truly surprised at the recovery and production rate I am getting on them.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm already seeing the bolting on some lettuce plants. I suspect there will be more in the coming days as the heat intensifies.
We are now in a fire ban for most of Quebec. We have had some rain recently, but I'm guessing not enough to make up for the dry spring.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:09 am

We are now coming up to July , and the rainfall total is 3 inches. Just 3 inches. If your in alberta you really need to look at that map I linked to, incredible site specific information, growing days, days above 0 C, days above 5 C, Above 10 C , rainfall in the spring, in the summer, in the fall...its just a wealth of info

My area has a two week longer growing season than in 1950, crops can be planted 10 days sooner than in 1950, 30mm less yearly precipitation than in 1950, Average winter temperature is 5 degrees warmer than 1950 and I am all for that one..
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 am

Still....
rain.jpg
rain.jpg (148.29 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
And I heard on the radio we could get to 33 Friday. I don't function well at those temps.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:20 pm

with the humidity, which at times seemed like it was pressing on you, yesterday 44 and our new record on the past weekend 47.. I agree.. I do not function well at these temps, no ac, effecting sleep, effecting whole body after so many days straight o it, when your night time LOW is 26 with 76 percent humidity in your house, sleep is hard to come by despite basement an fans ec

The gardens have held ok for it but today is cooler and if they are right that we have more coming, I am not as sure they will hold as well

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 pm

Farmgal: I have never experienced 47 degree weather.....never! Today it's 22 and raining. Can you figure iut how to send us some of your excess heat? Just kidding!, although I am wondering where our summer went.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”