Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post by farmgal » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi Vay.. Where you located in general, if nothing else, what zone are you gardening in? Nice on the rabbit compost, if you work it right, it will be moving along nice and fast this year, as rabbit is a cool manure, just need to heat it enough to cook some of those hay seeds and you are golden.

Are you doing any trimming on the cherry tree this spring or has that time passed? Yes the birds can be a issue for sure.. I am not looking forward to trying to deal with the tree rats when it comes to my nut bushes.. thankfully the farm cats keep them down big time.. they do love to hunt them.

A pergola sound lovely, are you planning mostly annual climbing garden producing or thinking Grapes?

I am expanding my strawberry bed, we pulled x amount of pots out of the normal bed which was total gone with the yard shake up and put them in rough for the winter.. this spring, I will need to go back and split them up and replant them all out into their new big bed and rows.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue May 28, 2019 6:46 am

My garden is in...not a lot of enthusiasm this year too many things going on
Resized_20190527_195631_2053.jpg
Resized_20190527_195631_2053.jpg (457.58 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
I still love the raised beds, so little work to weed. I must build more, maybe I can get two more built this year. Progress is incremental. We are going into June and there has been next to nothing for rain. This is becoming the new normal. Planted 30 small spruce.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu May 30, 2019 5:01 am

I think it was 3 days ago and I was up at 5:30- 6 o clock and the temperature on the deck, highest spot on the property read .5 degrees. Could not see frost on anything but still, now today the temp hit 31 degrees...crazy, and no rain to speak of.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm

OK, so here's the deal and I need advice.
We were looking at fruit and nut trees this year...a real hard look!
However, we will be moving in the next 2 years or so to my MIL's property. We do have access to it now and could have planted this year, but there is noone there full time to keep an eye on things and water them, etc.
In the end, we decided pretty much on what we wanted to plant, and where we wanted to put them on the new property and decided to wait until we are there full time. Problem solved right? NOT!
Last night the kids came home with a bare rooted walnut tree each from school! Great, we were planning on a few walnuts anyways.
The issue is, how do we plant these at the new property now and keep them alive.
We are usually there for a visit once a week, but some sort of automatic watering system seems to be in order.
Any suggestions?

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Thu May 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Well, lets see if any of these photos are small enough for uploading, we have been working on redoing the yard and leveling and putting in mixed fruit and herb gardens with annuals intermixed.

The first garden plot 1 is 6 feet wide and 22 feet long, its got a mix of annual flowers to fill in space until the second row of fruit bushes, herbal tea plants and so forth can grow enough to fill that space in.. the rows are seeded out into a mix of things.

The second garden plot 2 is 3 feet wide and only 14 feet long as it back up to the cemented raised strawberry bed (which hosts 54 strawberry plants, its fully planted out with a mix of fruiting bushes, rhubarb plant, and come again herbs and chives and garlic chives, along with some edible violets

The third Garden Plot 3 is 7 feet wide and 22 feet long. It is back planted into fruiting bushes, flowering bushes, spice bushes and more.. the front row is doing into cold crops, including cabbage and so forth.. the second row will be peppers once it finally warms up enough to put them out.

The round garden is just a pretty, no food value but its been done into pollinator drawing plants.

I will try and take photos of Garden Plot 5 and 6 soon as they are done but need to be planted out yet. Plot 9 still needs to be built this year.
Attachments
kgardenplot3boneplanted.jpg
kgardenplot3boneplanted.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
kgardenplot3backstopped.jpg
kgardenplot3backstopped.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
roundgardenplot4.jpg
roundgardenplot4.jpg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
kitchengardenplot2planted.jpg
kitchengardenplot2planted.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Thu May 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Denob wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm
However, we will be moving in the next 2 years or so to my MIL's property. We do have access to it now and could have planted this year, but there is noone there full time to keep an eye on things and water them, etc.
In the end, we decided pretty much on what we wanted to plant, and where we wanted to put them on the new property and decided to wait until we are there full time. Problem solved right? NOT!
Last night the kids came home with a bare rooted walnut tree each from school! Great, we were planning on a few walnuts anyways.
The issue is, how do we plant these at the new property now and keep them alive.
We are usually there for a visit once a week, but some sort of automatic watering system seems to be in order.
Any suggestions?
I would plant them on the MIL property and put a water pigola (sp) next to each one in ground and use that to keep them watered and cross your fingers. If you can't find or make a homemade version then, even just a compost pit with a pipe near the new tree so you can just put a mix of compost and pre-moistened peat moss and then fill that with water once a week so that the roots can find that water holding area.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri May 31, 2019 4:47 pm

peppercorn wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:46 am
My garden is in...not a lot of enthusiasm this year too many things going onResized_20190527_195631_2053.jpg

I still love the raised beds, so little work to weed. I must build more, maybe I can get two more built this year. Progress is incremental. We are going into June and there has been next to nothing for rain. This is becoming the new normal. Planted 30 small spruce.
what happened to your greenhouse?
I have my tiny garden going but not everything I wanted to plant but my lord with weather, I really do believe a greenhouse is the solution. small but year round production. I have firewood coming out my ears so not an issue for heating

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri May 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Clarence wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:47 pm
peppercorn wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:46 am
My garden is in...not a lot of enthusiasm this year too many things going onResized_20190527_195631_2053.jpg

what happened to your greenhouse?
I have my tiny garden going but not everything I wanted to plant but my lord with weather, I really do believe a greenhouse is the solution. small but year round production. I have firewood coming out my ears so not an issue for heating
The attached greenhouse is still being built, just that I have other demands on my time and money right now that are grinding progress to a halt, but it will be finished just is going to be longer than I thought.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:01 am

Denob wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm
Any suggestions?
Deer will likely be your biggest challenge. As soon as I bought the property, I planted a dozen fruit trees, deer ate them in two weeks! We were not living here, but even if we were, they would have been eaten, dog or no dog!
Fencing them completely in may work / bottom to over the top Bon chance!

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Finally a inch of rain!

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”