Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
peppercorn

Re: Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post by peppercorn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:41 pm

The temp has dropped to 0 C and its snowing!! Unbelievable.
Resized_20190607_1409.jpg
Resized_20190607_1409.jpg (105.13 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
That thermometer is at the highest spot on the property, I expect its cooler lower down. Its june for *censored* I'm a potty mouth sake

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:23 am

*censored* I'm a potty mouth
Resized_20190607_154216_.jpg
Resized_20190607_154216_.jpg (121.44 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:33 am

Farmers in Ottawa area are getting first cut of hay these days

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:00 pm

I was over at a neighbours, she has a garden by my fence line, I also have one on the other side of the fence, both our gardens are only 50 feet or so apart. Both were nipped hard by frost on June 8th. Know what wasn't? My raised beds, never lost a single plant in them.

Protector
Canada

Post by Protector » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:19 am

We got snow too and only a few asperagus shoots froze.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:46 am

Protector wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:19 am
We got snow too and only a few asperagus shoots froze.
So it wasn't just here that got it.
I am going to double down on building more of them insulated and constructed from pallet racking.

Protector
Canada

Post by Protector » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 pm

We got ours a while back but it wasn't funny. I'm afraid its going to happen 1-3 a growing season. In addition to frost 30-40 times. Very warm in between. It seems constant adaptation is our future. I hope im wrong

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Was at 1 degree here on June 8, very close to freezing, didn't lose anything that is planted out, thankfully. Almost felt like fall, when it is actually spring. We received just over 1/4" of rain over the weekend. We hadn't had any rain for two weeks, when we received about half an inch at that time.
Thank goodness we have a pump at the creek that is at the bottom of our property and 8 rain barrels. If the rain barrels get too low, we refill them with the water from the creek which helps alot.

Our gardens are boxes, containers and ground. Everything has now been planted out and is growing nicely. We have been eating a bit out of the gardens, such as spinach, green onions and going to start harvesting some chard in the next day or two. The lettuce is also ready to harvest from.
Haven't changed anything from what we grew last year, just trying a few different types of tomatoes that might be earlier.

So far looking at our apple and crabapple trees, we just might get fruit this year. We didn't get anything last year as they didn't flower or produce anything. This year, they have flowered and it looks like we just might get a crop off of them, which will be really good.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:05 am

Learner wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Was at 1 degree here on June 8, very close to freezing, didn't lose anything that is planted out, thankfully. Almost felt like fall, when it is actually spring. We received just over 1/4" of rain over the weekend. We hadn't had any rain for two weeks, when we received about half an inch at that time.
Thank goodness we have a pump at the creek that is at the bottom of our property and 8 rain barrels. If the rain barrels get too low, we refill them with the water from the creek which helps alot.

Our gardens are boxes, containers and ground. Everything has now been planted out and is growing nicely. We have been eating a bit out of the gardens, such as spinach, green onions and going to start harvesting some chard in the next day or two. The lettuce is also ready to harvest from.
Haven't changed anything from what we grew last year, just trying a few different types of tomatoes that might be earlier.

So far looking at our apple and crabapple trees, we just might get fruit this year. We didn't get anything last year as they didn't flower or produce anything. This year, they have flowered and it looks like we just might get a crop off of them, which will be really good.
Rain fall is becoming worse in spring time. I am at 2 inch total rainfall and its mid June now. I remember spring time from the nineties and often hard rains came in April, now maybe July?? But a killing frost in June was quite a surprise!

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:50 pm

When we moved into our present home 13 years ago in April, it had rained pretty much every day that month, with quite alot of rain. Almost seems to be within the last 10 years that it has changed to not getting that much in the way of moisture in the spring. The April showers May flowers saying doesn't work anymore around here.

We did have snow here about 15 years ago in June. We didn't have a garden then, so didn't have to worry about frosts and rainfall.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”