Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
Learner
Canada

Re: Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post by Learner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Looking at the weather forecast for the next week shows that we should be having a good amount of rain coming, we'll see if it actually happens or not. We usually watch everything go around us and we don't get anything.

The next hope is that any precipitation doesn't involve the hard snowballs pelting down, which they are currently forecasting as a possibility for today.

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:29 pm

We got just shy of half an inch of rain last Thursday/Friday with no frozen rain, which was a good thing. Apparently more rain coming this week.
The gardens are doing really well with the rain and somewhat cooler weather. Just wish there didn't have to be so much wind with it all.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Protector wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 pm
We got ours a while back but it wasn't funny. I'm afraid its going to happen 1-3 a growing season. In addition to frost 30-40 times. Very warm in between. It seems constant adaptation is our future. I hope im wrong
As. No one I k ow has a crystal ball that works, I would if possible, focus on greenhouse type setup for legumes. I am no gardener but listening to everyone, I see a lot of pain and effort being destroyed by Varying weather.

Peppercorn mentions raised beds and I am sure they have an edge over ground but they too cost money and hail would still destroy a nice crop.

I have my very small experimental ground garden but boy am I really considering a greenhouse

Best of luck to all in their efforts

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 am

After a rather dry spring, it seems like it just been raining nonstop for the past 2 weeks. We’ve received a couple of inches of rain during that time. The garden is generally coming along well, but the dampness is taking a toll on my strawberries. During a short lull in the rain today, I picked as much as I could and ended up with a large basket. Unfortunately there was also a large basket equivalent that I removed from the plants, the berries were rotten. Tomatoes planted outside of the greenhouse remain tiny and the leaves are shrivelled up.

No corn came up this year. I was trying an heirloom breed apparently great in the local area’s climate. Must have been old seeds or the crummy spring.

Looking at the forecast, it’s all showers, showers and more showers...

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:28 am

This has been the second coldest, spring I can remember, all heat loving plants not in a green house are doing badly. This may also be one of, if not the worst for being overcast.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Protector
Canada

Post by Protector » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:12 am

We've been getting rain almost every day. The wells real happy

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:43 am

If we think we have it bad I cant imagine this.. Was in Europe summer of 2001, records were being broke then, some places nearing 40 C, mid 30s anyway and I thought that was bad. I cant imagine 45C what the hell is this going to do to crops!
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:46 am

Nothing has happened on my attached green house build this year. Everything has come to a stop as I have decieded That I want a 12x 42 foot cement pad poured to build the green house on. I don't have the wallet capacity do that this year, and without the foundation I cant do anything so Next year hopefully I get the pad put in. I have a cement mixer but my body is saying don't even think about it!

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm

peppercorn wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:46 am
Nothing has happened on my attached green house build this year. Everything has come to a stop as I have decieded That I want a 12x 42 foot cement pad poured to build the green house on. I don't have the wallet capacity do that this year, and without the foundation I cant do anything so Next year hopefully I get the pad put in. I have a cement mixer but my body is saying don't even think about it!
You can easily pour it later on. I have two garages built on concrete pads that I had up for years and then when money was available I poured it in. Put “ten-test” ( an asphalt type board) around the pads that will have concrete touching them. This helps keep pad a little independent of the slab. Every one floor manufacturing or single level office type structure I did while in construction and there were dozens upon dozens of them, had the slab poured after the structure was up. Just pop your drains and other conduit requirements in and you will have no problem. Don’t forget to cover them so debris doesn’t go in. Just plan for slab thickness and any other related coordination issues and all will be well.

One issue and that is “saw cutting” between columns. You do this to control shrinkage of concrete slab. If you have a bunch of tables up, this will be more difficult. If you don’t care about controlled shrinkage lines, then no issue. For any beds, you want to start using before you pour, you will either put a concrete pad under the legs at right height or simply pour around any table leg/s.

Levelling or grading of cement will be harder to do if you have stuff setup

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:57 pm

alrighty, this you don't see often....
Resized_20190729_125239_7148.jpg
Resized_20190729_125239_7148.jpg (220.25 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
I have a couple raised beds of German butterball potatoes producing these, and even odder on each plant they are in clusters of three. I will save these seeds and maybe try them next year, I havnt grown potatoes from seeds before.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”