Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
peppercorn

Re: Gardening or Gardens 2019

Post by peppercorn » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:47 pm

Here is a question, how long are the potato seeds good for? can they be saved for 3-5 years, longer? Wonder what the failure rate is? It seems we had just the right amount of steady wet weather, and cold overnight lows to trigger the production of these.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Here in eastern ontario, it’s been warm and dry for past month. Really leaning towards a greenhouse or cold frames to help buffer against swings in weather. Smaller but more ongoing yields throughout the year and also means less preserving. Or am I missing something????? Never did a garden for 100 food requirements. Help! :oops:

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 am

So I have decieded no more gardens for me, only raised bed gardening and greenhouse gardening. I think its been since 2014/2015 or so that I started moving to raised beds and the verdict (for me) is in..its the only way I want to garden, even if I have to reduce the range and quantity I grow. I have had some problems and adjustments to make, more like a learning curve using raised beds but overall its just been more productive with way less work. This year I was hit with everything, Killing frosts in late June, hall storms x2. Killing frost didn't even touch my raised bed plants, and not that I planed for this but the hail storms that shredded my garden didn't do any damage to my raised beds as I had chicken wire frames over them to stop nibbling from deer, but it turned out the chicken wire took the punch out of the hail, it did no damage to my raised bed plants and the hail was so bad that I must have lost 3/4 of my Saskatoon berries. My "ground" garden is pathetic by comparison to the raised beds. I am going to get on Kijiji and find some more cheap pallet racking to build more raised beds with.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:45 am

So I checked with some nearby neighbours thinking they might have potato plants producing seed balls but no, it looks like it is just me, and just in my raised beds. I found a great article on potato seeds, storing and germinating them, fascinating stuff. As it says here.."True potato seeds are typically long lived, retaining good germination for at least fifteen years at 70° F (20 C), showing almost no reduction in germinability (Barker 1980). By reducing storage temperature to 40° F (5C) or less, they may retain acceptable germination for 50 years or more". That's just incredible.
Here is the full article. https://www.cultivariable.com/instructi ... seeds-tps/
potato seeds.jpg
potato seeds.jpg (71.88 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
If anyone else had potato's make seed balls this year, and your near me, Edmonton to Red Deer area, I would be happy to trade with you. My seeds are from German Butter ball potato's. I would like to get some other kinds to experiment with.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:18 am

I’ll check and see if I got seed balls this year.

Garden is hit and miss. I’m getting ridiculous amounts of zucchinis, my root veggies seem to be doing well. No corn came out, my squashes didn’t do so good. Peas are fine, but beans were stunted with the lousy spring, the second batch planted isn’t looking great either. Cucumbers didn’t work out outdoor, but those in the greenhouse are thriving. Tomatoes are so far behind! Lots of flowers, but no fruits and only those in the greenhouse are producing, the ones outdoor are also stunted and blighted. Peppers are pathetic while onions are quite behind.

Berry crop has been on par with the past couple of years.

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:44 am

Most of our gardens are doing okay for the most part. Didn't plant beans this year, as will be finishing up a surplus this winter from two years ago. Will be planting them next year. Tomatoes have fruits, none ripe as of yet, but will have some. We don't have a greenhouse, so they are all outdoors. Am getting zucchini this year and the cukes have been slow and are just producing now. Last week we got down to 3 degrees overnight one night, the poor plants were so cold in the morning, but didn't freeze, thank goodness.

Peppercorn, I have 4 potato seed balls from Chieftain potato and will send them to you if you would like. I just don't have the time to experiment much as I would like to. I don't get up that way often and just can't see it in the near future, so the only way would be through mail.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:05 am

Down to 4 degrees here a few nights back. I would love to have your seed balls. If you could mail them, that would be fine. I owe you.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:35 am

Pics from a few weeks ago. Cold dry spring, followed by a week long heat wave, followed by cold and very soggy summer...

Outdoor cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers are yielding nothing. Squashes are enormous but a bit behind. Beans and peas are just catching up, weeks behind.
Attachments
E68FDF7A-A8BD-43E3-871B-6B81F23BFD7B.jpeg
E68FDF7A-A8BD-43E3-871B-6B81F23BFD7B.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 2386 times

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:58 am

Other view.
Attachments
IMG_0285.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2384 times

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:02 am

One more...

Shows the deer-proofing / peas and beans trellis. Experimenting with zucchinis in pots. Plants grew WAY faster, but by mid-July, those outdoor outgrew the potted ones by a long shot and out-produce them as well. Advantage though is I can lift the pots and bring them indoor if there is a frost warning or hail storm coming.
Attachments
IMG_0294.jpeg
IMG_0294.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2383 times

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”