Winter Weather 2018

Post latest Canadian News and whether here
RachelM
Canada

Re: Winter Weather 2018

Post by RachelM » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 pm

kootenay kid wrote:We were snowed in for a couple of days, as the plows were very busy on the main highways. If you don't have a big pick up or the equivelant, you don't get out. For us, we have a little Aveo, with good winters, but couldn't get our driveway plowed as all our regular guys had broken equipment. Our neighbour came over and hand shiveled for us on New Year's Eve. At 63, I can't shovel any more. Just too hard on the old body. Beautiful and sunny today, at -6, I like to go for brisk walks, to see if there are any fresh critter tracks. Saw some Cougar tracks.
Hope the weather moderates for all you folks back east.
Have you considered an ATV? Thats what we use. We have a long country driveway and my now 60 year old father can plow the snow with it. My parents love it as it can do a lot of heavy lifting and carrying for them.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:22 pm

w had a brief break in the weather for two days and it was lovely, only -10 felt downright warm compared to what we have had and now back in the deep freeze, all those on the east coast in this weather bomb as they are calling it stay safe.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:06 am

Yay, plus 2 today, and snowing lightly. Yes, Rachel, we are considering an ATV with blade. Wouldn't mind one with a blower attachment also. Could do wonders with that set up. Can't buy an ATV/quad anywhere right now, as everyone else has the same ideas. Definetly keeping our eyes open for one, as it would be fun to go to the beach on one.....in the summer, that is.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi all. Have no farm animals but always love reading about the various tricks used to keep them healthy. All the best with surviving the winter. Cheers

Protector
Canada

Post by Protector » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:09 pm

[quote="helicopilot"]Thanks for the tips farmgal! I was certainly very concerned about the risk of fire and rigged things with fire in mind. I have a mix of chickens and a few seem a lot more cold hardy (small combs and wattles). Mrs HP conceded we would get a few more chickens this springs and I'll get Icelandic or BCMs for that reason. Plus a few more chickens should help with body heat in the coop!

Chanteclers we're breed to survive winters without heat. They have cushion type very small combs. Lay well and the roosters are about 9lbs and taste exquisite. They were developed by a monk in oka Quebec over 25yrs and are the only true Canadian registered chicken! The reason why they developed them was roosters we're dying and it was a big problem in the north where -50c happens regularly. Perfect homestead animal.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:53 pm

have you found I line of chanteclers available that produce eggs well and are in fact health hardy?

I and a number of girlfriends have worked with a number of available lines of this bird from Quebec an Ontario.. very poor standard available at least what I have seen personally.. one of those breeds that sound great on paper but have had a breed them all.. they are so rare in real life allowing some very poor backyard breeder traits into the breed.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:35 pm

I remember when I was looking into chicken breeds. The Chanteclers look great on all the websites, but further investigation showed that the majority around these days are all mixed breed and no where near the original. I ended up with a generic red breed similar to a rhode island red and had great success.
Purchased in the spring at a couple weeks old, I held them in a homemade brooder on the dining room table until they feathered out. They were in the outdoor coop early summer and got along very well all winter without any heat at all. Just a deepish litter for bedding and regular (3-4 times per day when -40) and all was good.

Return to “Canadian News and Weather”