Long Term Food Storage---Done Cheaply!

Post links to Preparedness and Survival Resources in Canada.
tazweiss
Canada

Re: Long Term Food Storage---Done Cheaply!

Post by tazweiss » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 am

A thought I just had for sealing the 2 liter bottles. Save your old candles. When you have a bunch of stubs melt them in a can. After putting the cap on the 2 liter bottle, turn it upside down and dip it in the liquid wax and you have an instant seal. Just a thought.

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

RobandSue

Post by RobandSue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:29 pm

For the Bottle idea u could also try a small black rubber O ring on the neck of the bottle as well they are dirt cheap and u can get a large amount for very little....here is a link for a supplier for bags and O2 absorbers i have found here in Canada, the prices are very good specially on the O2 absorbers...http://www.bridensolutions.ca/tools-and ... t-aid-kitshope something here helps..btw new to the site and we are just getting our preps going so...ty for the great resources to fall on to in this site...

RobandSue

Girlcancan
Canada

Post by Girlcancan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

I use the big glass canning jars to store my beans, rice and pasta. Suck the air out with a foodsaver, date it, and use what you store. This way I only buy my staples when they are on sale and I have plenty to last my family for months. I'm a big fan of flyer thursdays. :)

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Between gallon glass jars, 3, 5, and 6 gallon food grade buckets with gamma lids, as well as the odd Tupperwear canister, our rice , beans, oatmeal seem to be keeping very well. Speaking of rice, our local Wholesale Club has Basmatti rice on really cheap this week. I have lots in stock so did not get any.

Karnit

Post by Karnit » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:57 am

Here is another article on inexpensive food to put in those bottles...

http://baconandeggs-scifichick.blogspot ... under.html

K

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Karnit, thanks for the link! I'm not a huge fan of beans but the recipe on that site convinced me to get some for my stash. Right now, everything is in individual bags in a 5 gal pail (I didn't do the full amount suggested, maybe 15%) but will mix and put away in jars and "dry can" when time permits.

Return to “Canadian Preparedness and Survival Resources”