What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Learner
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by Learner » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:43 pm

Also for the foodsaver, to store stuff, we also use canning jars. There is an attachment you can get that uses the accessory port that will take the air out of the jars and they will be sealed. There are the two sizes you can get, wide mouth and regular mouth. Only place seeing them was at basspro and amazon.

SetiCruncher
Canada

Post by SetiCruncher » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:22 pm

Acquired an M-3200 Mask and a rather light supply of filters this week. A couple different retailers claim the filters are N95 rated so I may try and find some more filters (and maybe another Mask or two), but I'll wait until after the credit card bill comes so I can pay that off and start fresh, that particular bill has been a little scary since all this COVID stuff started :D

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri May 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Keep replenishing the larder, a child who was going stir crazy in an apartment and unable to hike or camp in parks has moved back in for a bit. Teleworking so no difference. Being a smart child, they had a good stash of food and some of that came with them and with new purchases, we will maintain and continue to build up reserves.

And I now have a youthful set of hands to help with my garden! A great thing indeed. Other child also followed the old mans advice and had a decent stash and also topped things up in January and early February. Also beefing up Their garden.

Went looking for Mylar and oxygen absorbers and boy are amazon.ca choices down !!! .com had more but many refused to ship to canada

Peaks
Canada

Post by Peaks » Sat May 09, 2020 11:03 pm

Invested in a Foodsaver this week and some bags. I like it! Easy to use. Picked up another 10 lbs of rice, 10 lbs of pot barley and 6 lbs of assorted dry beans. A few packages of hot dogs, sausages and pea meal bacon, yum.

No flour or other baking materials (beside baking soda) to be found. Limits are still on most items. I’m concerned about supply chain issues (mentioned in another thread) but I’ll just keep adding slow and steady to the stockpile.

Also waiting impatiently for good weather (snow and hail in May!!) to put in a flat of tomato plants I got today.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 pm

I keep buying within the purchase restrictions, even if just not to give impressions of panic buying/hoarding. A package of canning jar here, an extra jug of vinegar there (anticipating the wave of shortages this fall).

Picking up extra seeds for those harder to save in the off chance that next spring see shortages. I save my own cucumber, squashes, tomatoes, beans/peas and obviously, potatoes. But for onions, carrots, beets... it’s easier to pick up a couple of extra seed packets.

I have about 2 dozen seed potatoes in the ground and I’m cleaning up my beds ready for planting next weekend (still see zeroes in the forecast for the next couple of nights).

The plants I’ve started from seeds are doing well. The hardening process is a workout, moving tomato and pepper pots up and down the stairs, moving them in/out of sun and wind... but so rewarding when it’s done.

Bought deer deterrent spray after seeing a few fat ones munching in my early flowers. My main garden is fenced but the second garden I’m preparing isn’t... yet.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon May 11, 2020 8:17 am

helicopilot wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 pm

I have about 2 dozen seed potatoes in the ground and I’m cleaning up my beds ready for planting next weekend (still see zeroes in the forecast for the next couple of nights).
90 seed potatoes in the ground for me, as of mid April (insulated raised beds actually). I expect to be eating potatoes from the beds by the end of the month. I will get another 50 or so potatoes going by the end of this week. I just cover the raised beds at night, and that has been protecting them from frost.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Mon May 11, 2020 8:03 pm

20 kg flour
10 liters dishsoap
Had Lysol wipes and rice on the list, but Costco was out.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon May 25, 2020 11:39 pm

In case folks had not stocked up lol

Bug spray.. get extra bug spray..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm

I’ve picked up a few mosquito coils. The skitters are bad already!

One extra 20lbs propane tank.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Tue May 26, 2020 7:10 pm

The majority of the garden is in...finally.
We still have some marginal seedlings in the house, and I will try to find homes for them once the heat passes.
There were a few things that were hard to find...potatoes and strawberries.
Luckily, a fellow prepper helped out with that BIG TIME...thanks to them (you know who you are).
We have now stocked up on a one year supply of meat (beef, pork, poultry & fish) and can bump that with beans and legumes.
We also stocked up on some flour & rice. I believe with a good potato crop we will have starches at the one year supply this fall, but we will top off the pasta a bit anyways.
We also got 2 more pounds of yeast.
As a note about yeast, we have an opened pound in a plastic container in the fridge that has been there for well over a year and it's going strong.
We found some cheap chinese masks for $1.49 so we picked up a half dozen. They are not medical grade, N95 or anything like that, just plain reusable face masks.
We also made a few ourselves.
I continue to pick up canning lids whenever I can find them for $2.doz.
Next on the list is a 3rd deep freezer and a boost to the gas supply to keep it going.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”