No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Clarence
Canada

Re: No shortages?

Post by Clarence » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Here’s something to ponder and set your hair on fire. I wonder if actual ration cards or whatever the modern ID tracking version of it will be, will come to pass this fall?

Obviously there are big Iffffs’s involved with severity of any second or third wave but let’s assume for planning g purposes, there is a second and ( insert favourite deity) a third wave hits in spring of 21. We see shortages of all manner of food or goods now. Future waves of historical greater numbers infected, would in theorY worsen the current situation. Per history, when things get scarce, higher prices are also a side effect.

So to try and avoid runs on Wally mart......, help diffuse anger from the poorer not being able to buy some foods, I can easily see government issued ration cards of old.

It actually makes sense from a government perspective and will help diffuse some of the anger.

On a separate note, my wife and I are nothing a lot less choice and higher prices on Amazon for some of the product not even available from conventional brick and mortar stores

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 am

Clarence wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 pm
Here’s something to ponder and set your hair on fire. I wonder if actual ration cards or whatever the modern ID tracking version of it will be, will come to pass this fall?

Obviously there are big Iffffs’s involved with severity of any second or third wave but let’s assume for planning g purposes, there is a second and ( insert favourite deity) a third wave hits in spring of 21. We see shortages of all manner of food or goods now. Future waves of historical greater numbers infected, would in theorY worsen the current situation. Per history, when things get scarce, higher prices are also a side effect.

So to try and avoid runs on Wally mart......, help diffuse anger from the poorer not being able to buy some foods, I can easily see government issued ration cards of old.

It actually makes sense from a government perspective and will help diffuse some of the anger.

On a separate note, my wife and I are nothing a lot less choice and higher prices on Amazon for some of the product not even available from conventional brick and mortar stores
Well, it is with caution I disagree with you on the ration card forecast (regarding food). I say with caution as a great deal of what you have forecast has been bang on, though only so with the glasses of hindsight has it shown to be so.

The problem that led to shortages, while multiple, the prime one was the failure to impose purchasing limits at the retail level as panic griped. It was aloud to be open season on purchases for a week or two. People were buying everything out in quantity, needed or not. The government wasn't needed to correct this, retailers did themselves. After a couple weeks they took point and placed limits on purchases that they could enforce at the till. Once they did this, the turn around began (slowly). I will say from my area within two weeks on the placing of limits. So there was roughly a rough month of hit and miss on availability then slowly stock began being available and staying in stock. I just don't see government rationing being needed, or coming in the future. Maybe I will eat these words.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 pm

Mr, peppercorn. Here’s why I say ration cards ( some gov form). What you say is to a great part accurate. There was some temp bulking up and then store limits were put in. As to product being available,mmmmm not from what I can see in eastern Ontario, but let’s put that aside for now.

Here’s what I have found and have at times, admittedly taken advantage of to avoid the limits.
    You can order pickup at Walmart and yes your limited in not only quantity but per above, even in what’s available. So to avoid limits, you order under dear wife’s name, then your name/ different email works. Then you can also walk into the store. Now I can hit a few stores one after the other in an hour and fill up the rear of a pickup with food and I could do so every day of the week if desired and repeat. . I can also hit surrounding towns. week after week until I run out of moneys.

So iffff my guess is correct and we do get wave 2&3; farms, distributors, processing plants, canneries, Plastic container companies,truckers, distribution chains ... Will all feel the increased pro rated impact as this tiny episode, then I am guessing, shortages will be higher. you will have the entrepreneurial sprit of a modern day black marketer or those with funds to pay high prices or to actually hire people to go shopping and stand in lines for them ( I know people in montreal who did just that/ hired a guy to take orders and stand in line to pickup and deliver.) you will have people showing up and there will not be any butter, meat, rice etc available and as we all know, once the rush or panic is on, stuff happens fast and furious.

Just simple human nature, Also the fact that people have and will have even less disposable income in the fall and winter ( new winter boots , coat, winter tires, need a new battery for the car.... and all the demands of living in canada with growing families or just plain old parts needing to be purchased for the winter will suck at everyone’s bank account. Oh and school supplies are a big draw on young families as well.

As to shortages, I am also seeing fewer and fewer products available on Amazon....

Just a guess based on past job experiences and observation of myself and my fellow peoplekind. truth be told the Monday morning quarterbacking is a simple method of validating a guess being accurate or a miss. I try real hard to keep personal opinions out of what I am trying to guess at. I look at history, reading of my fellow man, current political trend, what’s not talked about in the media ( and boy Or girl, is there a ton not being mentioned in the news about all the things going on)

So yah I see shortages, I see people gaming or being able to game the current process and ifff it gets worse and the government wishes to avoid some ugly chaos,I think they will have to find some way of either directly limiting purchases or put the initial onus on the stores to do just that, but current method would not limit purchases of those with money to game it. Will it ever?, no, but I feel if things get as bad as they could, I can see the gov taking a former hand in who gets what

Now here’s a real fun thought to ponder while working hard to keep oneself and their family in food, would they ever come looking to the farms like they did in the war to try and monitor what one is producing on their private property? You have hens, a cow that was pregnant... where is the offspring good sir! Look to history for the answers to today’s questions, a little different in looks perhaps, but fundamentals are constant

Clarence
    Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Read in the states, that there are 200 medications experiencing increased shortages. Sadly they didn’t list.

Filled a number of prescriptions two weeks ago and still only giving out one months worth. Pharmacist said they may change that to three months In July. Hard to get specifics out of people or agencies. That tells me there are still shortages and gov is afraid of those trying to stock up. Makes sense that meds are suffering the same labour or material shortage that other industries are.

thecrownsown
    Topic Leader
    Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:13 pm

Aside from items held up due to plant shutdowns that are more/less specialized (RTU's, etc.) most consumer goods are now back to normal in SW Ontario. You still can't get n95's, but pretty much everything else is stocked and on shelves. From Dollar stores, to grocery stores.
    https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

farmgal
    Canada

Post by farmgal » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:28 pm

Posts and shipping has been rough.. so long.. starting to really notice that one different things I am buying that I getting the last ones on display or the second last one.. so many things only have a few available.. its crazy how low some of my local stores are on "stuff" and its not even fully hit yet.
    http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
    Canada

Post by helicopilot » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:00 am

Local grocery stores and Costco are looking back to normal ish. Still no Lysol/Clorox wipes anywhere and the hand sanitizers all have weird names (GiGi’s anyone? What came of Purell??) but somewhat back to normal anyway, with seemingly a certain level of inflation. I would never have made it at The Price is Right, but it seems like goods are more expensive generally.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”