What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
peppercorn

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by peppercorn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:18 am

I dont know what to say to that. I have not noticed a taste difference though I am not known for having a refined palate. Maybe given enough time in plastic I would notice. I would find it interesting if other could taste the plastic from storage?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:29 am

Canadian Tire sells the food grade 5 gallon pails, with lids for something like 7-8 dollars. I know that you can get 20kg of rice into one, the last kg takes a bit of work shaking the pail so the contents settle but you can get 20 kg in. Thats a lot of rice and even though the pail is not air tight they are very tight fitting. After putting in the rice and hammering on the lid, I have flipped the pail upside down and run a heavy bead of silicon into the lip edge of the lid, and then pressed it in tight in the crack as I ran my finger around. This effectively seals the pail. One way I cheaply store rice, not claiming its the best, just effective and cheap enough for my use.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:58 pm

I do not really notice it but if you can do mylar great.. but i am holding mine in reserve for things that can go bad if exposed to the air and plain regular rice is not one of them..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Dragged home a perfectly good rain barrel someone had put out for trash. I usually see a few of these every fall, but they are always badly cracked. This one appeared to be unused.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:54 pm

More rice, pasta and topping up what has been used over past week.
Some $5.00 9/12 tarps on sale at China tire.
Freezer pooched so getting a replacement. Can only get a chest unit as stand ups are scarce as hens teeth at a dentists.
Harvest of carrots is an enormous success so canning and freezing of that.

Tilling, putting old hay into earth to work it in.

Mylaring flour And placing in Tupperware tubs.

Another two chainsaw chains and One bar.

Some slicer .. blades for food processor to get thicker cuts on carrots and another one for larger shred coleslaw

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Honestly I've lost track of everything in the past few weeks as to what I did when.
Basically putting up food either canning or dehydrating mostly.
It's been a combination of garden pickings and taking advantage of sales at the local stores.

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Picked up another used scepter nato gas can for the fuel dump. A little beat up, but a deal at 10 bucks.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 am

Just finishing to dehydrate the last bit of carrots and turnips from the garden and shelled most of the beans we grew this year. Potatoes are stored for the winter and so are the onions.; well, all garden crops are away now.

Lucked out doing groceries today as Wallyworld had pasta packages at $0.50 (weird unknown brand but whatever...). So I picked up more than my fair share.

Rotated 6 cans of gas with Premium and picked up 16 new high-cap rechargeable AA batteries from the Amazon Prime Days.

Picked up some organic chicken feed from a local farmer. Winterized the chicken coop.

StevenB
Canada

Post by StevenB » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Big week for us. We got our bug out property. Getting it in shape should keep us out of trouble for long weekends and vacations for the foreseeable future.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:39 pm

Congrats stevenB👍🏻

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”