Books

Post general Canadian discussions here.
vanislemom

Books

Post by vanislemom »

Just started to read "The Day of St. Anthony's Fire - the suspenseful, true account of a medieval plague in modern times, and of the scientific detective work that traced it to a surprising cause." It's an older book, published in 1968.

This is the true story of a small French village in 1951 that was struck with ergot poisoning, which is a fungus that can grow on rye.

The symptoms are horrendous. Everyone should be aware of what to look for in their rye supply. See photos in link below.

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wo ... lect12.htm

vanislemom

Re: Books

Post by vanislemom »

Am almost finished reading and highlighting and post-it noting "Edible & Medicinal Plants of Canada". It is by Lone Pine Publishing. It's expensive, $30. But well worth it, in my opinion.

I recommend this book for every Canadian SHTF Preparedness Library.
WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

Thanks,
I love books on edible and medicinal plants, I will look it up and see if it is the same one as I have, if not, I will order it as well.
Cheers ~ED
Aphrael

Post by Aphrael »

The Airtight Woodstove Cookbook (c1981) Dale Y Darling
Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning:Traditional Techniques (c2007) The Gardners and Farmers of Terre Vivante

I admit, my SHTF library runs to the food end of things. My reading for fun library is heavy into SciFi, so its less usefull here... or at least it better be. If I find myself gleaning space opera for survival tips, the world's offically gone to hell in a handbasket.

Now a request for a recommendation. I'm having no luck finding a good book dealing with field sanitation, especially with medium to long term solutions. "Don't poop near the water and bury it when you're done" is fine for a few days, but it gets awkward after a while. So, I'm looking for books on outhouses, septic fields, low volume waste processing, the works. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Aphrael
Oh sweetheart, I don't have to run faster than the bear...
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

hey, Aphrael

I don't know about books, but have you googled Composting Toilets?

Some are even manufactured in Canada. Home Depot sells a selection of composting toilets, but they are kind of expensive.
But I guess it would be better than being up to your a** in uncontained poo. :oops: :lol:
Aphrael

Post by Aphrael »

I'll give them a look, thanks for the idea!
Aphrael
Oh sweetheart, I don't have to run faster than the bear...
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

I am reading a good book called "The Electrical Life of Michael Faraday" by Alan Hirshfeld.

Here's a quote from the dust jacket:

"Michael Faraday's research created the world as we know it: his experiments with copper disks evolved into the generators that power our computers, and his wire-encased iron rings led to the transformers that safely allow electricity into our homes. Einstein praised his theories on space, force and light as the "greatest alteration ... in our conception of the structure of reality since the foundation of theoretical physics by Newton."

The Electric Life of Michael Faraday traces the life of a poor tradesman who, through sheer gumption and well-timed luck, rose through the ranks of the scientific elite to become the most influential experimentalist of our time."

I haven't got to the part about the Faraday Cage, yet, but as a prepper that is my reason for having such an interest. Got the book at Munro's for 5.99
Foxglove
Canada

Post by Foxglove »

There's an interesting youtube video about home composting toilets http://www.youtube.com/user/peakmoment# ... dN_3x8VNCY the best part is that it's extremely affordable to build. It's on the Peak Moment youtube channel which has lots of interesting videos about sustainable living and they have also touched on food storage briefly.

Foxglove
paintergirl

Post by paintergirl »

This week's books are "The Pocket Prepper" by Bernie Carr and Evan Wondolowski, and a fictional read "The Jakarta Pandemic" by Stephen Konkoly.

I wish I had my 'off the grid' books unpacked, there are some chapters on outhouses and the like...I will post the book titles as soon as I am able.
Beth

Post by Beth »

I just read Yann Martel, life of pi. If i ever complain about my life, all just think of that pour kid in a boat at sea with a bangel tiger.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”