Books

Post general Canadian discussions here.
PrepNow

Re: Books

Post by PrepNow »

Just finished 'Lights Out'. Loved it. It was full of practical survival/tactical/organizational info. However, I did find the ending and some parts of the book a bit 'Hollywood'. Maybe that is why the rumor is that it is at this very moment being developed into either a major motion picture or TV series.

Got a copy of 'One Second After' but I think I'm going to read something other than an EMP attack book before I dig into another.

I really enjoyed Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

*warning* contains spoilers past the plot introduction.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life - Frank Zappa
paintergirl

Post by paintergirl »

Vanislemom lent me her copy of World by Hand after my earlier shameless post ... a great story so far!

Today's find was "The Mother Earth News Handbook of Homemade Power" ...300+ pages of tips covering wood, water, wind, solar and methane. ( And a biography of the poet Sylvia Plath that I had been trying to find for months)

Cost of the Mother Earth book : 75 cents. I LOVE thrift stores! :D

Prepnow, I thought the same thing of Light's Out ... good but ... I found a little more realism in some of the One Second After story line, but most of these stories have a bit of a heroic thread to them. Personally, I like stories where people are not perfectly prepped so we can see a bit of ingenuity in how they overcome the obstacles.
... I will be looking for Earth Abides now!
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Borrowed The Long Emergency -- surviving the end of oil, climate change and other converging catastrophes of the twenty-first century by James Howard Kunstler, from paintergirl. Am half way through, it's a very good book, plan to get my own copy so I can highlight particularly interesting points. :geek:

Came across this interesting video, The Crime of the Canadian Banking System -- an interview of Bill Abram, a retired teacher from Vancouver Island. It's about 25 min. long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7HMt5Mg ... re=related

Am helping a librarian clear out old books from a private library, she's merciless, getting rid of anything that has a hint of old. So I've lucked into a handful of books, two of which could be of interest here. A World in Debt by Freeman Tilden. It was originally printed in 1935, but this copy was printed in 1983, with an new Foreward and Commentary. I am interested in people's opinions and perspectives prior to our current global economic condition.

The other book is Trees and Shrubs -- Food, Medicinal and Poisonous Plants of British Columbia by James R. Anderson, published by the Department of Education in 1925. Has some black and white photos and many good line drawings. The old time typesetting and layout is interesting to me, also. (In another lifetime, pre- marriage and children, I was a proofreader and keyboarder in a small typesetting company. :geek: )
mamaizzy

Post by mamaizzy »

Today I am at my mom's (SWOnt) and we went to the Symphony Orchestra annual used book sale! WOW!
1) I got 25 books to be flown to a library in Swaziland! Classics like Anne of Green Gables, Charlotte's Web, The Red Pony... My friend's cousin is on the team heading to Africa for the library's build this summer (I am very excited for her)
2) Ohhhh indulgence, easy read books for a buck... I got 44 of those lol Maeve Binchy, Jackie Collins, Nora Roberts.
3) Prepper books (aka Reference) The 100 mile diet ($2), The complete guide to Natural Healing ($2), Save $20,000 and use a nail ($3), Cuttings pocket guide (50 cents) and it shows you how to cut the plants to multiply! My kids love it!!! Renerable energy for the DIY'er ($1), greenhouses and glass ($1), wild plant and flower guide ($3) and a bunch more!!!
4) A whole box of books that eventually made it to movies! For a buck a book... Eat Pray Love, Secret life of Bees, Under the Tuscan Sun, Cold mountain, Devil wears Prada, The English Patient.... and a dozen more.
5) History books. We love biographies, wartime stories, recounts of historical events.
All in all great day! Over $1500 in books (easily) for about $115!
I need new bookshelves but, I got a book about that so, I am gonna build some :)
susannah755

Post by susannah755 »

Mamaizzy...I am green with envy...well done, and enjoy those books! :D
Russell Coight....outback legend
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Way to Go, Mamaizzy!!
mamaizzy

Post by mamaizzy »

Thanks gals!
I am reading Eat Pray Love first. Then probably a Maeve Binchy next lol I'll save Jackie for hot, summer nights... hahaha
I pile the reference books up on the kitchen table and flip through them as interest arises (usually while sipping morning coffee before the kids get up).
Tonight we popped out to a second hand store and I got a bunch of Suess and first readers for $5. The bag to Swaziland has now turned into a box! lol
ranger2012

Post by ranger2012 »

paintergirl wrote: Personally, I like stories where people are not perfectly prepped so we can see a bit of ingenuity in how they overcome the obstacles.
Every time I go by a junk yard my wife swears that I start drooling, There is so much potential in those old water tanks, car rims and cable. After a collape I could do great barter for stuff needed to be made for survival. Gasifiers, rocketstove waterheaters, drawpumps, bicycle carts.... :mrgreen:
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."
susannah755

Post by susannah755 »

ranger2012 wrote:
paintergirl wrote: Personally, I like stories where people are not perfectly prepped so we can see a bit of ingenuity in how they overcome the obstacles.
Every time I go by a junk yard my wife swears that I start drooling, There is so much potential in those old water tanks, car rims and cable. After a collape I could do great barter for stuff needed to be made for survival. Gasifiers, rocketstove waterheaters, drawpumps, bicycle carts.... :mrgreen:
And then she will be very happy that you got your goodies and stashed them away :D
Russell Coight....outback legend
mamaizzy

Post by mamaizzy »

Yard sale find on Saturday... we discovered a box of old cookbooks... we got 11 old kinette, church and school cookbooks for $4.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”