Why So Many Zero's??

Post general Canadian discussions here.
gc_mountainman

Why So Many Zero's??

Post by gc_mountainman »

Howdy,

Just having a look at the member list. 1697 members registered. I had to look back 10 pages of member names to find a member who had more than 30 posts. That member had 77, excellent.

With so many cool handles why aren't you folks posting?? Are you shy?? Are you spies?? You only here to watch not to play?? I am really confused, the whole purpose of a Forum is to exchange information. You cannot be a member if you do not contribute, can you?? I mean some information/knowledge can be gleaned from reading the posts but to really learn what you need to know you need to post "YOUR" questions, the ones that mean something to you.

Come on folks!!! Get your ass off the fence!!! Start to play. The more who play the better the Forum gets.

Just my opinion, of course.

Mountainman.

LittleBrownJug

Re: Why So Many Zero's??

Post by LittleBrownJug »

Hey gc_Mountainman,
the reason people are not writing is because their are too many know it alls in the forum. Its one thing to have an informed opinion but when you are the only one thats always doing the talking and and overiding someone elses ideas or cutting them down, it makes for a boreing conversation. Too much about guns, guns ,guns and not enough about actual preparedness, ie. Food, Stock, Supply. Why do you think a few of us joke around on the site. Its because we know no matter what we write its always going to go back to a few and their guns. Personally, I dont need to talk about guns because I spent half my life using and carrying them and I'm sure thats true for alot of other people on this Portal. So, I'm not slamming anyone in the forum but if you want to see more interaction start setting an example of what prepping is really about!

In God we trust. Everyone else pays cash!
JustABear

Post by JustABear »

Have to be honest and say that I agree to an extent with your "guns" comments. It seems to be getting more about the aquiring of STUFF as opposed to the development of skills and sharing of knowledge. Perhaps it has grown too big too fast? Perhaps have a "thing" of a minimum number of posts per month... say 4... thats one a week so not TOO demanding. If you don't fulfill that you get removed.... back to the idea of quality VS quantity...Thoughts?
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I don't post often because

1) I am watching and learning how people play with others, what their personal beliefs are and if they are open minded or have a Templeton attitude (whats in it for me?) Can they have a discussion and not agree on many points and still be civil regardless of the topic matter? Some here can, but many cannot.

2) I do not prep in the style many members do. I do what I have always done and others before me have done and do not worry about whats coming around the bend. It is what it is. Common sense. I know how to do many things and have the capability to do more. I have also lived the first third of my life without most of the stuff everyone preps, therefore, my two cents is of no value too many people who would not wish to live like that and are prepping to keep the status quo. I prep to do with less rather then more. People certainly don't need me spouting off and rightly so. That being said, I will have food, shelter and water but little patience for people who cannot survive without cool-aid and candy and electronic gadgetry. I can make luxuries out of nothing if needed and the right resources happen to be around. Just might not be in a recognisable form and I don't want to hear about whats wrong with it.

3)What constitutes an easy days work for me has scared off any one being considered to share what I have. I am not asking for money but the right attitude and work ethic. I haven't even gotten around to real work and its already too much. So, I have lost my faith that many people can even manage my lifestyle now let alone after SHTF when it would really be necessary to get down and dirty. And I am not talking about anything to do with guns.

So, in answer to your question; I don't post often because many of the topics are just alien to me and I don't have the right stuff to say or feel that what needs to be said has already been stated quite adequately by others or would just p somebody off.
plainolme

Post by plainolme »

I think a minimum post idea is interesting it would weed out people who arent active on the other hand as odd duck said not everyone feels they can reply to alot of the posts, theres been lots of posts ive read and wanted to voice my oppinion but it was already shared by another so no sense beating a dead horse right? I think that everyone should be able to maintain at least one post a month even if its just to say hi to others, i know i would get kicked out eventually for not posting four times a month, especially if im in the woods for a couple weeks. Just some thoughts.
gc_mountainman

Post by gc_mountainman »

Me again All,

Thanks for the early responses.

Some very valuable information in your posts. Your opinions and observations are needed here, probably more so, if we want to get the one post - posters to start posting at least monthly. Please, do not give up hope. This is a big Forum and in my opinion has the room for posting ALL ideas, whether they are popular or not. I believe as long as posts are not "hateful", but based on fact, opinion or personal experience/observation, then you should be posting. If you find some are too over-the-top/bullying then call them on it. There is no need for anyone to bash or bully anyone, their ideas, or opinions. If two people have had two opposite life experiences and each posts a diaboliquely (sp) opposite opinions on a subject and the posts are clearly identified as opinions, then the other reader will know they are opinions and must be taken with a grain of salt. If folks have a very thin skin and do not like to hear about how harse things could get in a disaster, that is something to work on, not a reason to quit.

I agree, it would be nice if all the gun talk could be contained to one topic area. But, for some that is the only method of survival they know. If you know of other methods, please, take the podium and teach them a new way. It will take fortitude to stay the course. Some will get it, others not so much.

As for those who live the life of self-sufficiency, I know you have lessons for the materialistic majority in this country. At one time in the not-too-distant past most Canadians lived simple rural lifestyles. Each family grew their own food, made their own clothes, built their own house and out buildings, harvested, cut, split their own firewood. This was taken from us by the lure of the shiny lights of the city lifestyle. Now, we are stuck trying to get back to the hills or woods.

To those who read this who have only posted once or twice, please sound off. I want to know why you have not posted more, please.

I look forward to reading more great ideas here.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

PS - I hope I do not reside in the group of overpowering posters. I will admit I do try to insite responses from time-to-time by posting topics or comments that most cannot sit on the sidelines. The reason is simple, I want more people posting.
JustABear

Post by JustABear »

How does 2 posts a month sound? It doesn't have to be every 2 weeks... just 2 a month.
If you post them on the same day so be it... thats your 2. At least it will help to keep people active. If what has been said is something you agree with all you have to do is say that. After all it is nice to have feedback on what is said even if it is a simple "I agree".
LittleBrownJug

Post by LittleBrownJug »

I am 100 percent sure now that this means is monitored by Caspers. One person on this site does it too a few every time and Im wondering if the rest of the portal knows. I am permaneantly out of here as I am not going to let some red neck fed get into my life. Been there done that! You've been warned. It was nice meeting you all and I hope that you are able to pick out the Casper in this thread as hes been using many aliases with two other participants. All the best. Take care.
WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

LittleBrownJug wrote:I am 100 percent sure now that this means is monitored by Caspers. One person on this site does it too a few every time and Im wondering if the rest of the portal knows. I am permanently out of here as I am not going to let some red neck fed get into my life. Been there done that! You've been warned. It was nice meeting you all and I hope that you are able to pick out the Casper in this thread as hes been using many aliases with two other participants. All the best. Take care.
Caspers?

I do not understand that at all! There were only 4 people posting in here and I know two of them personally and they are in different provinces.
The responses were similar to what I have been thinking on and have reported to a few others.
Thank you all for re-affirming my thoughts in regards to some of the people who are posting in the Forum.
gc_mountainman

Post by gc_mountainman »

WildE,

I believe the reference is to "Spooks". CSIS. CIA. FBI. NSA. and the rest of the alphabet gang.

Mountainman.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”