Ebola crisis

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Wordiestdata

Ebola crisis

Post by Wordiestdata » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Hey guys,

I'm starting this thread so you can leave your plans/preps/concerns/ideas, pretty much anything you want concerning the Ebola crisis. As some of you know, it recently crossed the antlantic and it's growing faster and faster.

As for me, we plan (I'm 17 so with my parents) on bugging out about 2 hours from where I live to our cottage in the woods. It is really remote (no electricity nor running water :lol: ) so we think this could give us some time. There, we would wait and see how it goes, and then decide what our next move shall be. My main concern is social crisis. I have the feeling that, as soon as there will be multipe breakout in my area, people will go crazy and *censored* I'm a potty mouth will hit the fan. I have some preps set aside just for that event, interested to see how it all goes down...

What about ya'll ?

My channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAG4rBnmHS7MPWxKzDrJmkQ
E-mail : thecanadianprepperproject@gmail.com

Ready for anything...

HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Ebola crisis

Post by HopeImReady » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:18 am

Personally I think I am well-covered on most fronts for a 2-month bug-in situation. I bought some 'pandemic' supplies a while back (n95 masks, goggles, lots of gloves, more bleach, etc) and have stepped up the pace of my food preps. Unfortunately currently I am taking a long course for the next few months in an environment where there are several people traveling to & from African countries, but thankfully not the Ebola-stricken ones (yet). While i would live to be able work from home, it is not an option, but when H1N1 hit in the past, they relaxed their sick leave rules, so that is good.
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Wordiestdata

Post by Wordiestdata » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:58 am

Nice shot with the pandemic supplies. Unfortunately I do not have any.. We might get some before Christmas, bleach, gloves and disposable masks are no big deal but some "real" gas masks might be harder to find. I'll see what I can do budget wise. Glad to see you're not too stressed about it ! Good attitude !

Ready for anything...

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:44 pm

For gas masks, look on the US side (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductL ... catid=6201). Not very expensive.

livingpower

Post by livingpower » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm preparing for a 2-3-month bug-in. Need some more food and water, and going to get goggles and a couple of hazmat suits. Otherwise, I have bleach, gloves, N95 masks, and a lot of other medical supplies. My mains thing other than the water and food are a portable toilet and an indoor propane heater, both of which are important for many types of situations. Just a nasty winter storm will require the use of those.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:04 pm

livingpower wrote:I'm preparing for a 2-3-month bug-in. Need some more food and water, and going to get goggles and a couple of hazmat suits. Otherwise, I have bleach, gloves, N95 masks, and a lot of other medical supplies. My mains thing other than the water and food are a portable toilet and an indoor propane heater, both of which are important for many types of situations. Just a nasty winter storm will require the use of those.
I hear you on the propane heater!
We heat with wood anyways, but our crawl space is heated with electricity.
We plan for heating it with a propane heater in a power failure, but I don't anticipate this in an Ebola outbreak.
I believe that the power will stay on...and here is why.
Although the media keeps telling us how bad and out of control the virus is, in reality it has only affected about 0.03% of the population in the worst hit regions.
This is no where near, nor is it likely to become an extinction level event...it just doesn't spread the way it needs to in order to do that.
Simply put, there will be PLENTY of employees around to keep the power companies going.
I know there are plenty of "alarmist" websites telling us that it really IS airborne, but they are just being the alarmists that they are in order to boost their hit count and hopefully sell you some stuff while you're there.
True:If an infected patient sneezes in your face, the virus could enter your system through mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth) or an open wound like a cut or scratch that has not scabbed over.
False:If there is an infected patient 20 feet away from you, the virus will exit their body through simple breathing, float through the air towards you, and enter your body as you inhale the same room's air as the patient.
There are 2 sources of Ebola information from reliable people that I would point you to...
1: Jack Spirko episode 1442 of the Survival Podcast (skip to 13:00 to avoid the intro and get to the meat and potatoes)
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episo ... Podcast%29
2:Beyond Off Grid will be hosting a webinar tonight at 9PM eastern time with my two favorite medical professionals, Dr Bones & Nurse Amy.
http://beyondoffgrid.com/webinars/ebola ... olaWebinar

Wordiestdata

Post by Wordiestdata » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks for the info Denob. I am well aware that we are nowhere near a "Walking dead" kind of event, but this is site is all about being prepared isn't it ? :mrgreen:

I'll check that link for sure, even if it is not for a breakout, I would still feel more confortable having a couple of n95s or other type of good gas masks on hand...we never know ;)
A propane heater is still something I DO NOT HAVE. :oops: I am relying too much on electricity and I know it..time to fix this...

Ready for anything...

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Those are good things to have on hand in your medical supplies anyhow!
I believe that IF it does get out here...the word to remember would be avoidance.
Bug in or bug out...keep people at a distance.

Goldie
Canada

Post by Goldie » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:31 am

is a propane heater similar to a kerosene heater ?

Not on the Ebola crisis, but after last winter when power went out , many people had no heat.
so I would like to have something on hand

PortAlberniPrepper

Post by PortAlberniPrepper » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:01 am

Denob wrote:Those are good things to have on hand in your medical supplies anyhow!
I believe that IF it does get out here...the word to remember would be avoidance.
Bug in or bug out...keep people at a distance.
This is the absolute truth right here. Avoidance is the answer but the question is when???

I struggle with when is the right time to go into lock down mode?? Suggestions.....

PortAlberniPrepper

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”