Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded band?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
PrepandReady

Re: Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded ba

Post by PrepandReady » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:10 am

traveller wrote:
heathenwench wrote:We've seen many comments that promote 'trusting no one'. I think it is safe to assume that would mean being a 'Lone Wolf' or going it alone. We have chosen something different. We have sought out like minded people we can trust that can bring different skills and equipment to a small band of people. For example, an MD and an RN would be a big asset if the situation became full out survival, as would a welder, hunter, or baker. Do you believe a 'Lone Wolf' would stand a better chance or have you started to 'stock up' on the skills of others too?
I would prefer a group of trusting folk; already have a couple of families in this group,the problem as you said.... TRUSTING SOULS....a very big gambell ,I believe that is the only way to survive and a very diverse and like minded group...

Agreed

Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:02 am

My thoughts are this!

I think you need to think and prepare like a Lone Wolfe and Ill try to explain my way of thinking on this,... A lone wolf ( if he intends to be ANYTHING at all ), needs to have numerous bases covered and I think you would all agree on this. HOWEVER I also am wise enough to understand that this cannot be done fully 100% by way of example of and injury lets say. We all know that when your down a limb, a lung, etc your not going to be near as useful as you once were and thats a givin BUT if that said lone wolf is going to be anything, they need a very wide variety of skills. #1 This not only makes you a very well deserved partner in a group setting with all the skillsets that you have aquired and USED, but #2 I would almost bet it all, that the group setting will fail at 1 time or another, so where will that leave you? Most likely ALONE and this is my point. Its kind of like doing alot of driving but refusing to carry a spare tire. Your done! Sure you can say that the group is "tight" but unless its immediate family only, I fail to see how the dynamics would not eventually deteriorate to some degree. My point is simply by involving yourself in a group with dedicated roles even if everyone has 2,3,4 roles IF it falls apart how are you going to survive? Depending on others might not get you killed within the group setting but if it fails you may be in dire straights without them and die by lack of skills that I believe you SHOULD have prepared for. Therefore the ultimate group in my eyes is a group of lone wolves that are as tight as you know what! So I say train to be a lone wolf and start that group of desirables and be very careful when doing so of course, because if it truly gets bad I honestly think we will all end up alone by one faction or another. Getting split from the group. Overpowered by the group dynamics and needing to flee or die. Not getting to the group. The group getting overpowered and fleeing. To me there are just way to many areas for failure and Im not saying DONT do the group thing Im just saying train like a lone wolf and be a strong member of a well knit group if you know what Im trying to say. There will always be someone whom STRIVES to do the group thing so they can either focus on their areas of expertise or simply have less to do overall. Either way that individual is a weak link because they themselves are not willing or uncapable of doing it all. None of us can do it all but I hope we are all trying! I hope that all made sense! LOL

Just my .02
Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)

Protector
Canada

Post by Protector » Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am

Oxfordian wrote:I would prefer a like-minded band and will continue to try to safely expand my knowledge and contacts with other local people HOWEVER, in reality I will probably end up in a lone wolf situation for the following reasons;

-I am trying to get my parents and siblings to plan and prepare, as well as, understand the possible risks and situations but they keep saying that theres nothing to worry about and that they are sure if anything happened that their friends will help them out and that all their friends are welcome. and refuse to put away any food or water, etc.... They have all rich, very closed minded friends that only think about what event or restaurant they are attending that night.. Driving me nuts BUT still my parents and not sure if I could just walk away and worry about myself or if I will end up starving along side a bunch of bumbling rich idiots..........

-I have attempted to find like minded individuals and start up a basic local group to give each other advice and help with preparations but people leave for personal, work related, family and or health reasons and has been hard to keep a group together.
Also, I make very little money and need to make the most of every dollar and just dont have the resources to buy private land or buy into another group.

So currently im planning to learn as many skills and trades as possible in case i end up in a lone wolf situation.

Cheers,
Oxford
. This is basically my same issue...

Wayne
Canada

Re: Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded band?

Post by Wayne » Wed May 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Trust is a critical factor. If anyone in a group has a responsibility, they can let the group down (you down) by failing in it. As no person is perfect, I'd be ok with that: if that person had a proven ability to to do the job, tried their best and failed for any number of reasons. The key question is: Did that person have the necessary skillsets and determination to be given the responsibility in the first-place? Simply trying isn't good enough when my life and that of my family lies in balance.

Like all of us, I've had to depend on others. This has been done consciously (climbing a mountain, or as a member of a tactical team) and sub-consciously (depending on an unknown oncoming driver to stay on his/her side of the solid line on the highway). We give others the power of life and death over us every day. It's part of living in modern Society.

But how do we valuate this when Society breaks down? In a survival situation, I can count on myself and my family. If able, I'm willing to carry any member of my team unto death. In this situation however, I distrust others. At least until the individual has proven themselves. Trusting others as a default in a survival situation isn't a wise choice imo. The consequences can be too tragic and final.
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

Gallowshumour
Canada

Post by Gallowshumour » Thu May 03, 2018 3:50 am

"Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded band?"

I don't understand why there are only two options listed, why does one have to choose to be one or the other? Why can't a group simply exist as a loose affiliation of people with a common interest who help one another?

I think you're headed for trouble when you try to "manufacture'' a society, rather than allow it to occur naturally. I think eventually, personality conflicts will drive such a group apart unless there is mutual respect, and that's earned over time. The last thing I think anyone should be doing is investing money in a venture with people one knows only over the Internet, or from a few meetings. People say a lot of crap when they don't have to back it up with action, you see who they really are when the rubber hits the road.

I think the best way to go about forming a group - if you need to be in one - is to begin arranging group outings with like-minded individuals. These outings could be group courses on canning, first aid, wilderness survival, or any other skill required to survive. Over time you'll come to identify the individuals you'd prefer to have on your team.

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Sun May 06, 2018 5:30 pm

That's a great read gallows. Nice to see that perspective posted here. Your right..it isn't an either/or situation.
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon May 07, 2018 1:56 am

Yeppers, its whatever will work for you in that particular situation. The more options, traing or street savvy you have the better the odds. I prefer to work alone or with an extremely solid group of folks

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Mon May 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Gallowshumour wrote:"Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded band?"

I don't understand why there are only two options listed, why does one have to choose to be one or the other? Why can't a group simply exist as a loose affiliation of people with a common interest who help one another?

I think you're headed for trouble when you try to "manufacture'' a society, rather than allow it to occur naturally. I think eventually, personality conflicts will drive such a group apart unless there is mutual respect, and that's earned over time. The last thing I think anyone should be doing is investing money in a venture with people one knows only over the Internet, or from a few meetings. People say a lot of crap when they don't have to back it up with action, you see who they really are when the rubber hits the road.

I think the best way to go about forming a group - if you need to be in one - is to begin arranging group outings with like-minded individuals. These outings could be group courses on canning, first aid, wilderness survival, or any other skill required to survive. Over time you'll come to identify the individuals you'd prefer to have on your team.
An interesting perspactive, and one that I have run into also. After years of looking to put together a MAG, I've pretty much given up as far as a unit occupying the same space. Sure, over the years I've put in place a number of BOLs and agreements (some loose, some more organized). I would like to reach out to regional preppers that I can keep in touch with, help them out when SHTF and also rely on them helping me, to the best of our abilities.
I just don't see the dynamics working with several families or preppers trying to live at one location and work as a cohesive team, maybe for a while, but in the long term, differences in opinions will eventually split them apart and cause even further division.
Can I do everything myself? No. Would a group congregating together work? Not in my opinion. The ony thing left that I can see working is an affiliation with other preppers in my area...unfortunately, they are few and far between.

Protector
Canada

Post by Protector » Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I understand why so many of you want to bug in. Puts you in a position of power; close to your preps. Most advancd preppers don't need this site or any other to be prepared if not for one thing: TEOTWAWKI!

Most of Canada lives near over sized cities or right next to the US border. In everyday life it's an advantage. In the event we fear most it's a death sentence if you don't see the signs and wait until the roads are blocked. If I was in the states I'd be thinking the same thing if I was close to the border. Unarmed Canadians will be easy pickings. I know it's not true but that's what TV makes us out to be. Normal people have most of their food in the fridge and freezers. Many don't have water for a week. Let's say if they eat everything; they could last a month and a half. The sheeple will empty the stores in a few hours if it's foreseen. The desperate and criminal element will empty the stores in a week if it's not. Not even Rambo family could stop threats 24/7 for weeks on end. The only long term safe places to be are 7-10hrs from major population centers that are 2hrs away from minor population centers 50,000 or less.

You all need a watched over place way up north. We need time and food to feed your family so your not a sheeple like the others. (the best is if all your stuff is locked up because it's for you!) Besides it's a mistake not to diversify. Makes you venerable. I'll gladly bring your preps and mine to you if it's a localized event. I'll give you my time boarding up the windows/ cutting trees. Why because that's what families do. A MAG to me is a family. Can't trust anything else.

I'd love a place down south to plant my perennials that don't grow here near civilization to stock up :D Even split sounds ok?

If you think it's hopeless to find a good hard working family. I live within 10hrs of half of Canada Near Cochrane, Ontario. PM me.

Entropy
Canada

Post by Entropy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:57 pm

heathenwench wrote:We've seen many comments that promote 'trusting no one'. I think it is safe to assume that would mean being a 'Lone Wolf' or going it alone. We have chosen something different. We have sought out like minded people we can trust that can bring different skills and equipment to a small band of people. For example, an MD and an RN would be a big asset if the situation became full out survival, as would a welder, hunter, or baker. Do you believe a 'Lone Wolf' would stand a better chance or have you started to 'stock up' on the skills of others too?
One forum I am on, has active in it’s closed site since 1999. The owner talked about how people with “wolf” in their user name never last. They always drop away from even the online group. Saying that lots of people did leave the group over the years.

“Life is what happens while you are making other plans”. I worked with some great people to form a group, we had standards, bylaws of sorts, and worked hard to built that group. One guy his wife made him lease, another dropped out and never told me why (we were close too) kept on contact with others by not me?!? One moved away and sadly the last member next to me just passed away.

There are family memebers active in my group, but we all plan to stay home unless needed. Been talking with some others from here and getting to know them.

But counting on others when the situation is dire and they have families they need to do best for may leave me alone. So while I plan to help others I may be doing it alone. Is that my goal? Hell no, but still.

I try to keep my skills wide

I am a nurse, lots of medical experience including ER, I have a well stocked library, and a well stocked stock room. I have most hand tools and nearly everything I know exists and something I’m less handy with.

But I can cook and bake, canning, and other forms of preserving. I don’t weld well, but I can, I can build with wood, have plenty in stock and more screws then I hope to ever need. It doesn’t always look pretty ( but sometimes if I need it too) but it functions and usually over engienreered.

I learned the hard way about plumbing ( needed work and no money to pay for it to be done)

I’ve learned to grow food, and many other essential skills because I may be in my own.

Home defence shouldn’t just be someone watching on a hill, lots of electric eyes, ears, and even siezmetic senseors can make life easier.

Worse case, it’s me and my dogs. And you don’t want to mess with them. ( they aren’t deadly, but if you hurt them, the world will burn) i love my dogs . . . Of course shtf I’d want more dogs.
adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”