What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
helicopilot
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by helicopilot »

gPRS wrote: FYI : most people don't know that a lot of medications are still quite effective well long after the "Expiry Date" lists; I was told this by two different doctors. I was told that some medications are good for up to three years past the Date stamp.
That is also what I've heard and read many times and actually much longer than 3 years. There are some exceptions, but none of them are OTCs. Meds will not go bad and harm but would be less efficient. So that means you would potentially have to take more to get the same effect. As a matter of example, if you normally take one sudafed to fix your stuffy sinuses, you may have to take 1 1/4 pill if they are 5 years old and maybe 2 pills if they are 10 years old... (For illustrative purposes only!!!!)

The key thing to remember is to keep your meds cool (not cold) and dry. Bottles kept closed and, better yet, unopened will keep effectiveness much longer.
Last edited by helicopilot on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gPRS

Post by gPRS »

Helico' is right on the money for the details of how a lot of drugs expire.
=============================================
Is what you say worth at least a Canadian nickel now?
Cause two cents ain't worth squat anymore !
----
Self-sufficient is good. Co-efficient is better.
=============================================
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Tried the new kerosene heater (it works) and added another 20L jug of kerosene to the stash.

Got lucky to have (wealthier) inlaws visiting the UKs and this time they brought me back useful gifts : Snugpak reversible jacket and Snugpak special force combo sleeping bag (sweeeeeeeeeet!)

Added an extra shelf worth of cans and other food.

Went to the gun range to resight a couple of rifles and forgot I wasn't shooting .22. Result = bruised and gashed nose bridge :( Oh well, I can call that battle scar I suppose.
Syn

Post by Syn »

Planted some really high quality hazelnuts in pots with the goal of germinating some saplings in spring for future coppicing and hopefully some nut production. I know they say that the nuts do not neccessarily produce true but I am betting on the fact these local nuts are such nice quality that the cross pollinating trees in this orchard were all good producers . It is a bit of an experiment but for $10 invested it is worth trying. Added benefits could be wildlife habitat and general biomass we sorely need to sequester carbon and mitigate climate change effects. I am a huge fan of Geoff Lawtons endeavour to encourage resilience through permaculture : )
T'is the season to obtain and plant nuts ! Last years planted chestnuts yielded 5 saplings of three different varieties and the chestnut trees I purchased were $70 each and one died so very economical as they are surprisingly fast growing , though a long term project to get them to a producing age . It will be one of the more worthwhile ways to spend a little effort towards : )
PrepHer
Canada

Post by PrepHer »

I got my wood cookstove all cleaned and ready to burn. Woodshed is full. Garlic still needs to be planted....
Carrots are now under a cold frame.
Blackraven

Post by Blackraven »

50 lbs rice, 25 lbs dried legumes, toothbrushes on sale at wally world $1, cleaned up the garden outside to prepare for next year
Singlecell

Post by Singlecell »

I stocked up on some tools(wrenches, allen keys, prybars) and supplies and flashlights from the flea market, which I've already put together to make an urban get home bag. Managed to grab a lightweight steel mountain bike, it just needs brakes. I grabbed a really cool solar charger with a battery pack capable of charging my cell up to four times, as well as Ipads and some flashlights I own, so I got renewable satellite access, communication, and light... as long as the sun still shines. http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-524/powe ... &q=charger
dollyndrew
Canada

Post by dollyndrew »

My food rotation system arrived today. DH tried to make one but time and talent were just against us :)
anitapreciouspearl

Post by anitapreciouspearl »

dollyanddrew - what did you get??? I just finished setting up my consolidator can rotators and I love them. http://www.bridensolutions.ca/home-and- ... solidators. This of course led to cleaning the whole storage area...
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/
Dangphool
Canada

Post by Dangphool »

I picked up one of those 60w solar panels from cdn tire when it went on sale last week. 50% off. Now I just gotta figure out all of this Dark Magic...

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”