What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Dangphool
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by Dangphool » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:13 am

Learned how to pickle cucumbers today... and had fun doing it with friends!

Dangphool
Canada

Post by Dangphool » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:48 am

Been a while since I spent some money but there were some good deals on;

another 40 watt coleman solar panel at cdn tire for less than half price (makes me suspicious of their "regular" pricing")
Backup battery pack to leave in the gun safe for when those severe storms sweep through

A set of security lights

Ordered a lot of nails for our nailers... expected delivery next week
some new kit in multi-cam... that one was harder to get past the DW :oops:

Dangphool
Canada

Post by Dangphool » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:10 am

Wow, this thread got quiet... or was a new one started?

I found the shelves of Wholesale Sports in Calgary was actually well stocked with hunting rounds... lots of various calibers, manufacturers, and grains.

Been a while since I've seen that, so I stocked up on a few boxes of a couple of key rounds.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:44 am

Cleaned up the 2 closets that serve us as "extra pantrys". Took everything off the shelves, looked at dates (just 2-3 thinks "too" expired to keep) then reorganized it all FtEFO-style. In turn, this allowed me to make a list of things we need to buy.

Cleaned up the garden by removing the old, no longer producing, tomato plants and worked the soil.

(Tried to) sight in new scope and rifle pair, but without success... Will have to troubleshoot the rail, rings and scope to see what is wrong.

Got back to riding my bike now that the little one is a little faster, Mrs HP now also wants a bike, so looks like we're going to all have some pedal-powered BOVs ;)

dollyndrew
Canada

Post by dollyndrew » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Major overhaul of the shop ( invasion of the furry kind!) left me feeling like we were prepping again, which I haven't done in the same vein since moving out here.
Our prepping has been more learning, experiencing than stockpiling and so for the last year and a half I have focussed on gardening and growing, nutrition and my latest pet peeve GMO's ( now force feeding Organic and verified non GMO to the entire family). DH and his buddies r going hunting tomorrow :). Got the Vac Sealer primed and ready for action and a new (to me) freezer begging for some lovely venison.
Our original two hives of Honey bees perished in the severe wet weather in Feb but our new colony looks really strong - lots of learning there!
Of Our original four quail, two still mock us from the surrounding area and the other two the Raccoon got. Haven't been able to try again on this score though. DH wants to try chickens!
Power outage this week showed a few holes - mainly in the hot meal department. I could have figured it out but it would have taken some time and I had an easy alternative to go to (lazy? Sure)

razerp

Post by razerp » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:25 am

Basic maintenance on some of my mini multi tools, zip knife, couple of folders. restocked and categorised my wallet kit and keychain kit. Cleared out 2 boxes of junk and now have my new bed giving me more storage space underneath.
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

PrepHer
Canada

Post by PrepHer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 pm

My son cleaned the chimney of my cookstove. Now I have to finish the clean-up and patching the fire brick.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Made some charcloth and practiced firestarting with it and steel wool.
Canned up some fruit and jam.
Added some items to the camper.
Restocked sugar.
Suplimented my garden carrots with a 40lb bag from a local market for $4.50.
Boy the canner is gonna heat up tomorrow!

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:41 pm

What did I prep this week? I'm taking a nice vacation to a tropical paradise! What has it got to do about prepping you ask? It makes me appreciate life, that if we ever get to live through a "lights out" event, that there is something beautiful worth living for, appreciating family and friends. This vacation also gives me time to recharge my energy level so I can get back to work and my prepping-hobby when I return home.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Finished up the fall canning from the Farmers market produce.
Picked up 2 cases 1 liter and 2 cases 1/2 liter canning jars to have more on hand so that I can take advantage of grocery specials.
Tried my hand at dehydrating hamburger nuggets...worked out great!
Made up some barter packs of nimh batteries, usb chargers and usb car adaptors.
Picked up a 4 port usb hub so that I can charge multiple devices at once from a battery pack.
Added more 2 liter soda bottles of water to storage...this is a constant thing for us to do.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”