What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
ratdogmom
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by ratdogmom »

Prepping some Dairy Queen 2 US gallon fruit puree buckets and found that they have a rubber gasketed lids!!!!! So I have carefully pulled the gaskets and am disinfecting them and letting them air dry completely before reassembling the lids...the buckets I washed yesterday so they're ready to fill.

I'm the lady you're stuck behind in the grocery store with the over loaded cart filled with cases of tuna, peanut butter, huge bags of rice and the weary looking husband
bluegrrl

Post by bluegrrl »

I'm fairly new at this. :D

This week I bought boxes of matches and put them in pint jars with sandpaper on the top.
I bought more canning jars from Value Village. 6-$1.99.
I dehydrated celery and put it in jars.
And I found washing soda at the food coop so I could make dishwashing and laundry soap.
Hubby set up HD plastic shelving in the basement.
ratdogmom wrote:Prepping some Dairy Queen 2 US gallon fruit puree buckets and found that they have a rubber gasketed lids!!!!! So I have carefully pulled the gaskets and am disinfecting them and letting them air dry completely before reassembling the lids...the buckets I washed yesterday so they're ready to fill.
I am going to check that out tomorrow when I go into town! I've been paying $2.00 each for big buckets from our local bakery.

Hubby and I are thinking about a few chickens - maybe by next spring.
Food will get you through times with no money, but money will not get you through times with no food.
WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

Just a reminder to everyone, to not put anything directly on concrete, to try to have a 2x4 at least spacing from the concrete.
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Yesterday I lucked in at a thrift shop, bought a brand new, never used, oil lamp (with 2 spare wicks) for $8 :D

A few days ago I cleaned out the wood fireplace at work and brought home a bucket of ashes. :?
8-) I think there is an experiment in my future.

I've been busy the last couple days, helping my daughter pack for her move to Seattle and wedding next month.
susannah755

Post by susannah755 »

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding - you've got to be happy about that! I wish them well!
Russell Coight....outback legend
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Thanks, susannah755
We are still in the thick of it, future son-in-law has just left to go pick up the u-haul, then the next couple hours will be organized chaos.
My daughter has been the organizing force behind this, but she's down to her last nerve, didn't get to sleep until 2:30 am last night.
Immigrating to the USA has so much paperwork involved. All the moving boxes have to be labelled, thankfully just in general terms, and a list provided for crossing the border. She was using her smart phone to put it on a spreadsheet. Her own list has a more detailed description of what's in the boxes.

Tomorrow I start my reorganization of the condo. Yeah!!
wookie
Canada

Post by wookie »

I got the Thrive fruit variety pack from Costco. With the kids I have to always have fruit on hand. Costco has got good selection for emergency food.
bluegrrl

Post by bluegrrl »

This week I dehydrated 5 pounds of carrots and some apples.
Today I bought 10 pounds of onions to see how they do in the dehydrator. Next week I'll try to make a soup with them to see how nicely they rehydrate.

I also had a good karma moment and was "repaid" for previous acts of kindness, with 20 dozen 500 ml canning jars! :D

The same people are also moving and giving away their chickens. So we are working on a chicken coop which has to be done before the weekend, when we pick up 4 hens. 8-)

I wish we had a Costco close by. :(
Food will get you through times with no money, but money will not get you through times with no food.
mamaizzy

Post by mamaizzy »

Got my garbage cans and seed potatoes today! :) Will have one container each of Kennebec, Superior and Russets :)
grown right outside our front door, the neighbourhood will be none the wiser (sneaky but for a good cause)
wookie
Canada

Post by wookie »

I got the costco stuff from costco,ca. delivered to my door! yay!

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”