What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by Denob »

mamaizzy wrote:
I did buy was 2 emergency/camping lights that are crank powered. They have 8 light functions, am/fm radio, emergency strobe in red plus you can plug in an mp3 player to it and you can plug it into a car lighter. Not bad for $15 each. They look like coleman lanterns.
Good job...you must have listened to some of my old podcasts...I LOVE CRANK POWER!!!

bluegrrl

Post by bluegrrl »

This week. I canned carrots and turnips and onions. I dehydrated onions. I cooked 4 cups of kidney beans and then I dehydrated them. They are now 'instant beans'.

Hubby and I promised ourselves that we wouldn't scrounge through the pile of "heavy garbage" that are sitting out for municipality pick up. We usually do, but we are overwhelmed with things that have to be done.

BUT we found 150 feet of chain link fencing and couldn't resist. I consider it prepping because our fence needs to be replaced. Without it, too many people come too close to the house and I want the dogs free to run the length of the yard - good incentive to keep out.
Food will get you through times with no money, but money will not get you through times with no food.
Dangphool
Canada

Post by Dangphool »

Hey all, after a month on the forums, I just found this particular thread... glad to see I'm not the only one buying so much pasta, canned sauce and peanut butter when it's on sale.

This last week, went to the Calgary Horticultural show and didn't buy much but learned a bunch about permaculture and got some leads on developing a rain water system for our new house (June 1st possession date) and the gardens we want to develop.

Ran the generator for a while to be sure the winter wasn't too hard on it. Reliable Honda won't let me down it seems.

Picked up a Fusion Stove/fuel and 2 machetes for the BoB's .

I like this thread as it encourages ppl to think each week about their budgets and current status.
oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool »

A lot of loss leader sales on this weekend. Garlic was on sale 9 cents a clove so I got 60 cloves, about half has been dehydrated so far. The rest, too much to mention. Four trips to the car to get it all in.
mamaizzy

Post by mamaizzy »

Today I got cup of soups. On sale for $1 a box. I like them because even with cold water they are edible... just crunchier.
Mac and cheese sauce mix, beef gravy base, split peas (yellow and green) and a bag of loose tea. I vac packed this stuff into 1/2-1 cup portions and they are now tucked away in my stock.

Denob wrote:
mamaizzy wrote:
I did buy was 2 emergency/camping lights that are crank powered. They have 8 light functions, am/fm radio, emergency strobe in red plus you can plug in an mp3 player to it and you can plug it into a car lighter. Not bad for $15 each. They look like coleman lanterns.
Good job...you must have listened to some of my old podcasts...I LOVE CRANK POWER!!!
These are handy little things to have around that is for sure!
My youngest and electricity love to hate each other and tonight he blew another outlet out. I reached over and grabbed my light, cranked it and down stairs I went to turn off the power, back up to fix the outlet and then back down to turn the power back on and replace the fuse. It worked great! Back in the JIC box it went!
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Hi, Dangphool, glad you found this thread. I personally like this thread best. Don't know why, guess cause it's not too technical or about guns, which I don't have.

I have been trying to pare down and organize my condo contents since my daughter moved to Seattle. It's slow going, but it's going. I now have a dedicated closet for my preps, which is a great help to see and remember what I have. (I am 57 and my memory has really gotten bad in the last couple years, and the last couple years before that... so if I'm not looking at it I may not beable to remember it.) So I have a closet just for clothes and shoes, a closet for arts & crafts, memorabilia & Christmas decorations, and the biggest closet (4'x7') is for preps. :D yeah. I will leave the bedroom as a guest room, it also has a closet, which I plan to leave empty for guests. I plan/hope to keep everything labelled and easy to get at. Wish me luck. lol.

Haven't bought any preps lately, just keeping the cat in food and litter is a chore. lol. Maybe it's the weather, but I just seem to be slowing down these days. Not that I don't work hard at work (today I helped the maintenance guy demo a tiled tub surround in one of the suites, 2 layers of tiles to the 9' ceiling, while trying to protect the tub. I wore safety glasses but didn't wear a dust mask. Bad, bad. When I came home I had a shower then blew my nose it was bleeding. :o
ranger2012

Post by ranger2012 »

Bought a few knives at the auction, a box of them for $10. Half of them were junk, ss, rusted clasp or just plain broken. But, a few were gems, an old belt knife w/5' blade, a clasp knife w/a draw blade and a few other pocket knives. I love auctions, Last year I bought a few good Aladdin lamps (no genies) and a few hurricane lamps. Need some bikes?, go to an auction and in most cases get them cheap. In future I plan to buy a few, just for the wheels to make a bike cart. I’ve been thinking of making a tandem driven bike cart with a fly gear on the axel.
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."
PrepHer
Canada

Post by PrepHer »

I found some brand new winter boots at a store: waterproof hunting boots for $15 regularly $59; and winter hiking boots for $5 regularly $29. I think I scored! This is the best time of year to buy winter wear.
ranger2012

Post by ranger2012 »

Zeller's is having a closing out sale, and got me some winter work glove and cordage real cheap. At the second hand book store found a book on Knots and Lashing (mainly for review and teaching)
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."
Dandyprat

Post by Dandyprat »

Woo hoo found and messaged a local bee farmer about buying bulk raw honey for my food storage and got my Q in today with quinoa, butter powder, barley and pancake mix all #10 cans.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ― Jimi Hendrix
~~ http://canada.thrivelife.com/foreverthrive ~~ https://www.facebook.com/ForeverThrive ~~

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”