What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Learner
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by Learner »

Gardening, canning for the pantry and also market. Restocked the pantry with salt, some spices, sugar, flour, canned goods, oats, pasta, and sauces. Drying herbs from the garden and making jellies from some.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Finally picked up the extra chainsaw bars I was supposed to two weeks ago.
All my bars are now 18 inch so that helps with standardized parts. Four more chains,Another box of chain files, spark plugs for every piece of equipment, same for spare oil filters, spare fuses for ATV and truck.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

17 pounds spices and herbs, 25 kg of pearl barley, seeds, seeds and more seeds.. fodder crops, more fruit bushes for the food forest, nails, screws duck tape tuck tape, big roll of vaper plastic, more electric push in mobile fence posts. butcher paper freezer tape, meat twine, two bush clearing hand held sickles
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Some serious shopping there FarmGal. What did you get for sickle? Considering getting one as well, but am not willing to part with a pay check for one...
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

farmgal wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:14 pm 17 pounds spices and herbs, 25 kg of pearl barley, seeds, seeds and more seeds.. fodder crops, more fruit bushes for the food forest, nails, screws duck tape tuck tape, big roll of vaper plastic, more electric push in mobile fence posts. butcher paper freezer tape, meat twine, two bush clearing hand held sickles
Pearl Barley..have you stored it for a long time? I have put away (vac sealed) large amounts. I have heard differing accounts of how long it can store for?? This is a item I use in lots of my stews, and a major staple in the dog food I make. I vac sealed it but If heat canning would be better I could do that? I have many extra 1/2 gallon jars that I have now found out that I cant use for canning so I could repurpose them for Barley storage if it would give me longer storage life.

Was in the big city Friday...couldnt help myself...11, 8kg bags of rice came home with me, thats something like 300 000 calories for 97 dollars. I cant grow the stuff and it stores forever so...I did the math wrong when labeling that picture it should have said 88 kg of rice or 194 pounds.
80kgs rice.jpg
80kgs rice.jpg (160.95 KiB) Viewed 333 times
To keep storage costs low this rice will stay in the original bags and be placed into a galvanized garbage can. Gorilla tape should seal up the handles area, then expanding foam will be shot into and around the lid gap.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

helicopilot wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:14 am Some serious shopping there FarmGal. What did you get for sickle? Considering getting one as well, but am not willing to part with a pay check for one...
I picked up two of the now out of stock ones but there are still a few there that are good as well..

https://scytheworks.ca/sickles-other-tools/
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

peppercorn wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:21 am
farmgal wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:14 pm 17 pounds spices and herbs, 25 kg of pearl barley, seeds, seeds and more seeds.. fodder crops, more fruit bushes for the food forest, nails, screws duck tape tuck tape, big roll of vaper plastic, more electric push in mobile fence posts. butcher paper freezer tape, meat twine, two bush clearing hand held sickles
Pearl Barley..have you stored it for a long time? I have put away (vac sealed) large amounts. I have heard differing accounts of how long it can store for?? This is a item I use in lots of my stews, and a major staple in the dog food I make. I vac sealed it but If heat canning would be better I could do that? I have many extra 1/2 gallon jars that I have now found out that I cant use for canning so I could repurpose them for Barley storage if it would give me longer storage life.

that was part of the reason I went with pearl, it has been twice ground, so it is as close in Barley as you can get to white rice with the bran removed and as you know its the brans that hold the oils that go bad faster.. so Pearl has the longest "normal" use shelve life. I have stored it in the half gallon jars for a full year in a cool dark with no issues (not doing anything else to it.. pour, put the lid on finger tip tight and put it away..

It would last ALOT longer if you vaccoom sealed it and took the air out with the lid and went.. I do go thought it pretty fast, I think the oldest I have ever had in the house is three years and it was fine..

Nice on the rice..
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Not really just this week, but over the past couple...

1) rotated / refilled approx 120L of fuel (premium, with StaBil)
2) picked, processed and canned over 150 x 125ml jars of mixed berries compote
3) added shelving in the utility room as the pantry and cold room and getting rather full
4) was gifted a nice chicken tractor from a friend who gave up on chickens; works well as an isolation coop or a chicken jail for broody girls
5) chainsaw bar oil and gas/oil mix
6) about a cord of wood to let season through the year as I “should” have enough for this winter.
scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger »

Recently picked up a bulb auger. Using it on a cordless drill to very quickly turn over my compost bins. Works a treat.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

peppercorn wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:21 am

Was in the big city Friday...couldnt help myself...11, 8kg bags of rice came home with me, thats something like 300 000 calories for 97 dollars. I cant grow the stuff and it stores forever so...I did the math wrong when labeling that picture it should have said 88 kg of rice or 194 pounds.
80kgs rice.jpg

To keep storage costs low this rice will stay in the original bags and be placed into a galvanized garbage can. Gorilla tape should seal up the handles area, then expanding foam will be shot into and around the lid gap.
Question. Do you not find the plastic bags leach onto the rice? I find it a real nasty taste after maybe six months. Mylar bags are in short supply so one could store in mason jars but as you said, the storage costs add up. I just caution folks to taste what they have stored for six months in the original plastic bags and decide if they wish to let the process to continue leaching into what one will want to eat.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”