What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
vanislemom

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by vanislemom »

hi, WildernessReturn

It doesn't say how many plants are listed in the book, just that it has over 530 colour photos ad 125 illustrations.

The plants are first sorted into Trees, Shrubs, Vines, Herbs, Grasses, Ferns, and Poisonous. Then into Family, for instance, Trees: Pine, Cedar, Willow, Birch, Beech, Walnut, Elm, Olive, Maple, Linden, Pea, Buckthorn, Rose (apple), Heath (arbutus). Then, into specific plants, Pine: Spruces, Two-Needled Pines, Ponderosa Pine, Five-Needled Pines, Firs, Larches, Hemlocks, Douglas Fir.

The book has many disclaimers regarding toxicity. There are lots of things you can eat, just not much of it. The book states it is not a "how-to" book, that is, it doesn't have recipes. But I am quite pleased with it, none the less.

WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

Thank you, I will see if it is in the Library and then if I like it enough it will go into the survival kit, thanks again.
WildernessReturn

Thank you, I will see if it is in the Library and then if I like it enough it will go into the survival kit, thanks again.
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

I googled Lazy Preppers and found a series of videos on YouTube by Zombie Tactics called Lazy, Late and Cheap. It's good, check it out.

I also watched a few videos of other people showing off their preps. It's interesting. Glad to see some people are less than perfect in their set-up, makes me feel better about mine. lol.

Even saw a few Extreme Couponers that stockpile. wow.

Salvaged a few plastic food containers from the recycle bin at work. (I work at a small hotel-like establishment with bar and restaurant) Even one 16 litre bucket with a lid. I love the little yellow plastic cornstarch containers with blue screw-on lids. (put Goji berries, that I got from Lifestyles, in one.

I bought 2kg of liquid honey at Wal-Mart, want to make Rose Hip syrup this fall.

Oh! And I also bought a couple tins of SPAM Lite! Now I feel like a real Prepper. lol.
anitapreciouspearl

Post by anitapreciouspearl »

Vanislemom said: Oh! And I also bought a couple tins of SPAM Lite! Now I feel like a real Prepper. lol.

Ha ha! Just the thought of that stuff makes me want to gag but good job - you've really joined the prepper ranks now :)

I've had a houseful of company this past week so no prepping for me except to rotate lots of food!
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/
WildernessReturn

spam.. yuk..
try Klick at least, similar but it actually tastes good and for only .25c more per Tin.. I will eat it.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

Picked up another used barrel for rain water today...I'm lucky enough to get them free from work. Also, heading to a huge flea market Saturday...will let you know what I find.
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Hey, WildernessReturn

I remember Klik from when I was a kid. But I haven't seen it in any stores here. I have a couple cans of Hereford, and one of Holiday. A couple of years ago my son wanted to know what Spam was all about so I fried some up with eggs and toast. He was no longer interested. Maybe it's too salty. But the tin makes a good pencil holder. lol.

I was thinking Spam might be good in Wieners & Beans, cubed and lightly fried before adding the beans. That's the trouble with canned wieners & beans, the wieners are soft, no crispy edges.

Besides the new Spam Lite (25% less fat) there is also a third one that has less salt than original. Spam is a Hormel Foods product which I hear is good.
anitapreciouspearl

Post by anitapreciouspearl »

I just purchased 6 fruit trees - 2 pear, 2 Granny Smith and 2 other apple trees but the name escapes me. They were on sale at Lowes for $19.99 each. Now the decision - where to plant them exactly.

We've been cutting firewood from a downed tree again today which is adding nicely to the supply but it is almost too hot to be doing that now.

A neighbour friend of mine came a planted three 15 foot rows of raspberries for me while I had company because they knew I would be too busy - how nice. They also dropped off enough tomato cages for all my plants. I have really nice neighbours!

I am allergic to strawberry plants so I am unable to pick them but every year my mom picks, cleans and freezes 50 medium size freezer bags for me as a birthday present! My moms even nicer :)
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/
WildernessReturn

your doing great then.
I picked up some barrels, some small solar panels, a propane stove, and a trailer hitch mounted bike rack, all at cheap garage sale prices,
also some tools, and books on health, again, cheap garage sale prices

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”