What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by Denob »

Flea Market Round-Up...

Aside from some really great deals on kids clothes, picked up a hand drill for $5.00...next time I will get an assortment of bits for it.
Also some cheap fishing tackle.

Things I left behind -
5 5gal. food grade pails...no lids plus the vendor didn't even bother to offer up a price...too busy reading I guess...
Oil lamps...why pay $15.00 for used...not vintage...when new are $10.00 at zellers.
Many old hand tools...lack of time and 2 young children suffering in the sun cut the day short...that's OK...I'll be back.

On the bright side, I went to the old appartment today to clean some stuff out and noticed a storage locker someone had abandoned. In it was a coleman space heater and 2 steel storage boxes filled with automotive supplies...oil, trans fluid, stop leak etc.....Great find!

WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

Yes, you did very well indeed
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Went to Capital Iron for thread, yesterday. Found exactly what I was hoping for: large spools (1500m) for $2. ea. So I bought 6 basic colours: black, navy, dark green, gray, ecru, and red. I already had white and tan, at home. Would have gotten brown if they had any.

In their camping dept. I saw a solar charging device with USB port. It was less than $50. I really want one, but do I need it? I would have snapped if up it was a solar charger for batteries.

Previously this week I bought more white rice, sunflower oil, cornmeal, flavoured dehydrated mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand .99 at Country Grocer), big jar of Nutella (4.99 for 750g at Zellers), 2 jars of E.D. Smith triple fruits jam (2.47 for 500ml at Wal-Mart), 2 boxes of Great Value buttermilk pancake mix (just add water) 1.97 for 1kg ea., baking powder from Shoppers Drug Mart, 284gr for 1.49 ea. X 2.

I rearranged my canned goods cupboard. I moved 3 gallon jugs of water and a couple flats of bottled water. Yay, more space for canned goods.
anitapreciouspearl

Post by anitapreciouspearl »

Good job Denob and vanislemom.

I've haven't been to a flea market for many years - sounds like a nice trip. I'm hoping for good weather this weekend so I can go to some yard sales and see what I can find from my list of needs.
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/
WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

Go to Canadian Tire,
they have Solar Battery Rechargers for AAA & AA cost is about $25-$35
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

I agree...Canadian Tire is a pretty good source. I got a solar battery charger and a crank powered lantern in the liquidation section for $10.00 each. Whenever I am in a store, be it hardware, grocery or other, I always go to the liquidation racks. Great deals can be had there.
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Hey WildernessReturn & Denob

Thanks for the suggestion to try Canadian Tire, I'll go this morning before work.

I just got finished watching two reviews on YouTube of that little solar charger I mentioned.
'Future Inventions' and 'Zombie Tactics' both give it a thumbs down.
So don't bother buying the High Gear Solarpod, ($60 plus TAX in BC, Canada.)
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

I know I keep harping on liquidation stuff, but check out today's find...
7amp solar charge controller..........TEN BUCKS!
WOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Well, I haven't been able to find a solar powered battery (AA, AAA, 9v, etc) charger in this town. Guess West Coast Canadian Tires doesn't stock the same stuff as the East, or Central Canada. I will have to get my daughter to help me order one online. I tried once to buy something online, but couldn't get paypal to work. I'm pathetic with computers. I am pretty much pathetic with understanding anything technical. My dad scoffed at the idea of getting one of those Power Boxes for emergencies, said I should get an inverter and battery instead. So here I am with a 400w inverter and am reading like mad about 12v batteries, trickle chargers, solar chargers, etc. Thought it would be a fun experiment.

:ugeek: :lol:

On the upside Shoppers Drug Mart has a good sale on Mr. Noodles: box of 12 for 2.99 (that's .25 ea.)
vanislemom

Post by vanislemom »

Ah, finally, it's my 2 days off. Trying to get some things accomplished around here. Have been printing off some stuff for my Prepper binder. I figured out how to economize on printer paper by selecting just the article I wanted without ads, links, comments, etc., saving it to a word document, then adjusting type size, eliminating pictures (if not helpful), condensing lists to a table, etc. I always note where I got it from so I can look it up online. My next project is to create a page of all my post-it notes for various survival, prepper, frugal living, economic news, etc. sites. I'm not a computer geek, but as long as my daughter insists on having them in the house (lol) I will stumble my way around in them.

A young fellow at work remembers that after the big Japan earthquake I was talking about making Go Bags for myself and my 2 kids (young adults) and storing water and extra food. Every once in a while he asks if I'm still "squirreling away stuff". Sorry it's bad OPSEC, but it amuses me.

Bargains I bought recently: Wal-Mart had Down Under naturals shampoo 1 litre for 2.50, I got 3. Then somewhere, I can't remember, I found the same brand conditioner, 500 ml for 1.97. This has got to be enough for a year.

Just more of the same: Canahua and TVP from the health food store, toilet paper, pasta. Went back to Shoppers' for more 12 packs for 2.99 of Mr. Noodles, in different flavours.

I have been saving the little mylar bags that Purina Luv cat treats come in, they are just too nice to chuck. Once they are washed and dried they don't smell, so I've put some of my home dehydrated corn niblets in one, as an experiment. Hiding in plain sight. ;)

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”