No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
peppercorn

No shortages?

Post by peppercorn »

Was at a Food for less and Walmart in a smaller community south of Edmonton. Both well stocked, both very well organised! In fact so well stocked that I found large bags of powdered milk, a product I haven't seen in 4-5 weeks or so. I didn't need some but like a conditioned reflex I found myself buying 3 large bags anyway. Something about scarcity triggers a buying response. The cheap large bags of rice were few in stock but there, the cheaper eggs were not available, and the range of flour on the shelves that you would normally see was less but overall it was a impressive turn around from a week or so. I heard a radio program where they were speaking with managers from some of the chain stores and they were saying even with limiting the amounts a person could buy sales were still up about 50 %.
I haven't been to the big city in weeks but I am hearing from friends that the stores there have inventory again. Costco is apparently limiting the number of people in the store at one time, but they too had full inventory again, from what I have heard for friends.
This is only a little snap shot of Alberta, things may be different where you are.

Edit: Security was present at the stores now. Often just one guy.
Last edited by peppercorn on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Clarence
Canada

Re: No shortages?

Post by Clarence »

Last time I was in a Walmart near ottawa was early last week and key shelves and freezer sections were almost bare. Trying to avoid like the plaque
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown »

There was a knee jerk reaction here in Region of Waterloo a couple weeks ago. Mostly canned goods, toilet paper and lysol wipes/disinfectants and hand sanitizer were off the shelves.

Its still a bit of a challenge to find toilet paper and hand sanitizer, but everything else is more/less back to normal.

Costco's (2 in region of waterloo, 1 in Guelph) had line ups outside weeks ago to limit access to the store for social distancing. ie-only 100 people inside at one time. This is still in place, but no line ups. I think people have "calmed down" listened to the experts that our logistical infrastructure is in good condition are being more level headed. Also, people are heeding the words of the experts and limiting their exposure. Going shopping once a week or once every two weeks...not daily after work. Add to that those who "reacted" now have full freezers/fridges/pantries and probably realize they have to eat the stuff...and will only go out to get things like milk, eggs, etc. periodically.

Even the ammo panic that gripped Canada (as reported by the CBC a couple weeks ago) seems to have died down. Shelves in Wal Mart, Sail, etc. are all restocked and good to go.

Our litmus test was produce. As its an easily perishable item. Had we seen empty produce sections and lack of vegetables it would have raised an eyebrow on the condition of deliveries... But so far so good.

Knock on wood, I think sanity is returning to the general populace and our current infrastructure will return to normal.
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

Spoke to relative in west end of montreal and as a senior he went to Costco early and he indicated a line of a thousand people! Accurate number of was it only five hundred, not sure. He is an intelligent and typically very analytical businessman who has owned a number of companies so tend to believe his interpretation of number. a few weeks ago they had to call the police out to calm the crowds. Must be something in west end water. :roll:
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

It seemed to totally depend on where you live.. some friends are sharing photos of bare shelves, others are good on a number of things but missing "the main things" we would think off and other yet have reported that other then certain things like hand gel and such, that most things are there in at least small amounts..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

I was reading an article yesterday that I stumbled across that had a religious tint to other things mentioned in the article so will not link it. Some people blow off potentially good intel due to source and we don’t ever need people missing things due a dislike for someone’s personal opinion.

The seemingly plausible intel is that there does appear to be shortages in food coming ( not good news). Sounds like Utah and some of the more western and “independent “ leaning folks had stocked up early on and that states more on eastern seaboard are days behind in getting what they ordered. Simple logic says if 10z of population stocked up for two months, it’s near impossible to make up that gap. Also the ones who stocked up may also continue to maintain what they have. True that eventually, some will start eating reserve inventory but that may not be until after the virus has run its second or third visitation!

There’s also the obvious fact that truckers get tired or catch the corona beer virus/ sarcasm.
Been reading about various meat plants shutting down for two weeks due to infected worker. There was a pork plant ( not ottawa or DC based) north of montreal that had to shut down and many others in the US.

The other thing is, companies have strived to limit production to what they know will sell. Overstocking went away in the seventies and eighties. True there are good crop years, but there are also bad ones. Foreign countries are starting to limit exports to existing customers, this Ibassume is in part to ensure they have enough to compensate for any import shortages they may experience and perhaps to sell to highest bidder and not last year’s customer? Vietnam is an example with rice exports. others are cutting back on carrot and potato exports, again in theory to help feed their citizens.

So a combination of supply chain obstacles can, I believe, cause shortages. Then there are the migrant workers for farmers etc. so I can easily see some shortages in the coming months.

Gardening supply demands are apparently up!
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Clarence wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:58 pm
So a combination of supply chain obstacles can, I believe, cause shortages. Then there are the migrant workers for farmers etc. so I can easily see some shortages in the coming months.

Well, I can tell you that my already sizeable garden will be doubled this year by developing another area of the property. That way, not my crop will be In the same garden in case of disease or pest. If there are shortages, I can maybe make it up with the extra gardening. Otherwise, food banks will surely benefit from more root crop.

Interestingly, my good neighbour has been a bit more opened to talking about his upbringing (as LDS, though he’s not practicing anymore) and he’s really moving the self reliance bar in the past month. Started by buying a couple of Himalayan cows - just for fun - but ended up buying 8 more a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, he told me he got 3 pigs.

We’ve already been gifting each other (I don’t want to use “bartering” as there was never any asks, just good will) produces, eggs, carpentry assistance, etc etc. So it was nice to hear him say yesterday “If there’s ever meat shortages, I should be able to hook you up comes fall”.
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

helicopilot wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:08 pm
Clarence wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:58 pm

Well, I can tell you that my already sizeable garden will be doubled this year by developing another area of the property. That way, not my crop will be In the same garden in case of disease or pest. If there are shortages, I can maybe make it up with the extra gardening. Otherwise, food banks will surely benefit from more root crop.

Interestingly, my good neighbour has been a bit more opened to talking about his upbringing (as LDS, though he’s not practicing anymore) and he’s really moving the self reliance bar in the past month. Started by buying a couple of Himalayan cows - just for fun - but ended up buying 8 more a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, he told me he got 3 pigs.

We’ve already been gifting each other (I don’t want to use “bartering” as there was never any asks, just good will) produces, eggs, carpentry assistance, etc etc. So it was nice to hear him say yesterday “If there’s ever meat shortages, I should be able to hook you up comes fall”.
This year will be my first real serious attempt at gardening, was just playing around before and honestly planned on getting bigger this year, but this little flu/ sac, lit a fire under my bum.

Really enjoyed your last paragraph, some great things will come out of this event, I really do believe it. Lots of crap, greed, incompetence will also be exposed but above all, I hope people learn and walk away the better for what it will reveal and teach. Now if only people can continue to be more independent, the world will be a better place. Cheers to all and god speed. Of and a great crop! :D
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Was at a Food For Less today, only things in short supply was eggs and flour.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

Have been trying to buy things online at wallyworld for pickup and no dates available to pick from for next two weeks! Tried another Wally in another rural town 45 minutes away and only half the order is available for pickup service.
Trying to avoid the obvious risk of going indoors.
So what’s failing, is it their curbside service or the very basic items like peas, whole chickens...?

BIG note here for those concerned about political posts. The following isn’t political!

I mentioned weeks ago the likelihood of Canada receiving fewer goods from the US. This being peas, chicken or any of the food items we import. This while, not very nice, IS most certainly predictable and truth be told justified . Ones nation and citizenry taking precedence over others and identical to what we are doing. Food... for our family and if we have left over, I am sure we would share to those we wish to.

The N95 mask issue with 3M is a new and expected one and while I have ZERO proof on the vegetable or meat front, I wonder, if US food distributors stores are not telling Walmart and others headquarters to direct food to US stores over canada. Again, perfectly normal and most definitely anticipated or known by some of us. I cannot see any nation telling their citizens to go pound sand and export precious supplies to foreign countries. Everyone’s actions will be increasingly under a microscope and I for one can see an increasing number of import or export restrictions.

Again for the faint of heart, this is not political and is merely a heads up on what we can all anticipate and possibly need to get a jump on with any orders etc. politics abound and impacts us all and the sooner we wise up to reality, the better off everyone will be. Non of what is occurring in actions, reactions, shortages etc is unknown to those with a background in emergency Preparedness, business continuity, and other security related professions. NON of it!

It may have not been evident to average soul but it most certainly is not unknown. I seem to notice that many of us have prepped in macro, middle and micro type fashion. Some of us are really off grid, others are but still are vulnerable to medical supplies, some have inventory but may live in a city or burbs and will be limited to restocking/ securing from the land or be susceptible from the neighbors... so lots of variations and dependencies exist.

So gardening and livestock sure may be important this year and who knows, maybe next as well!! Hopefully one can travel to a location that may be more hospitable and with spring and some possible gardening options available, it may be fortuitous timing ( seeds, knowledge and tools being needed of course) If one has some availed cash, then a purchase of some existing small farm may be prudent, a small hunt camp,.. but speed and wise site location are things that must be addressed and in real fast fashion. For some it may already be to late but if you can, I would be looking this weekend and closing the deal in max two weeks. If offer is accepted but closing is in doubt, then look at a rental agreement that kicks in until some closing date. Have clause in there about complete use of the land to grow crops, livestock ec. If needed, put a clause in for acceptable size of land to be tilled, number of cords of wood that can be cut etc etc etc. you may be able to fully close but if you have a rental agreement that clearly spells out all the things you can and cannot do, you should be fine. I wouldn’t haggle to much! Remember, lawyers, land registries... are all either in short supply or potentially closed or slow. So a rental agreement may be the only option now.

Inter provincial borders will likely close tight in next week or so, and I can see emerge act coming into force very soon afterwards. NO PROOF or inside info!!! Just a gut hunch and take or leave it as you wish. So far my predictions haven’t been wrong but I do hope they start being wrong, for the future will look grim indeed if the dominoes keep as predictable keep falling.

One thing is almost certain, we are all learning real quick on whether all our predictions or preps were correct and learning how to move fast and think real strategically. All good things to those who wish to survive.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”