No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Clarence
Canada

Re: No shortages?

Post by Clarence » Sun May 24, 2020 2:09 pm

It truly appears to be a hodgepodge in who has what. Yeast was near impossible to find, then I walk into a store and I could have but didn’t, grab twenty pounds!

We are trying to do curbside pickup so don’t wonder about seeing what else is there, so maybe that is part of my problem! But brands and quantities we want are seldom fulfilled

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon May 25, 2020 10:11 pm

add on to my earlier post. went out to china tire and lineup was so bad i didn't bother. local hardware store had almost no seeds left, copper piping / fitting section was thin. TSC was missing a lot of automotive engine treatment and cleaning supplies and again plumbing items, again almost no seeds left.

Glad i topped up engine de greasing and various car maintenance treatments in Jan and Feb. will make sure i add when i get a chance because if this little event is eclipsed by 2nd and 3rd wave, things will look pretty thin to vaporous come this fall and next spring.

just a thought but if cases ramp back up this fall and are worse, i wonder if actual food.. rations will be implemented?

all the baloney from talking heads and politicians who are either lying or haven't a true clue said don't worry about food, flour ( I remember a farmer saying its produced here in Canada so no worries, what he didn't clue into was manufacturing...process / chain and people being sick )..., well for anyone in the loop or thinking a bit, it was to be charitable, a not very well thought out statement to make.

So to avoid true shortages next fall, i can see this being implemented?

buckle up for the ride
Last edited by Clarence on Tue May 26, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon May 25, 2020 11:35 pm

So far locally, we are still seeing limited numbers (aka rationing) on things, a number of sale items now require you use the store card so they can be sure you are keeping to the limit and not coming back another day etc. A lot of local sale items are often missing and they will no longer allow you to do a hold to fill it.. instead its right on the paperwork.. what the store has only..

the other thing interesting of note to me is that while the shelves are rarely empty, there is less selection and a lot of spread to cover the space.. I can see it.. not that we go out that much to be honest.

from the ground up.. so many things are coming together that WILL show up in the supply chain at a later point.. in a number of ways.. we are working around them, ordering directly from the farmers around us, stockpiling on things that I see being harder to get in the next while, planning around the required things, stepping outside the stores for all ground flours, moving to a custom mill, moving outside the stores for all meats, eggs, our own milk (and increase that area) and increasing our food production, both gardens, put up, seed production, hay production and went in a co-buy in on bringing in pallets for canning jars and canning lids in bulk.. 50 cases of 12 per pallet and we hauled in a couple pallets worth for my "working" crew

The weakness area at the moment is wood.. normally I have a good supply of extra put up but the major work we did, took up both our stockpile. I am going to have to put together a big order and have it delivered to the farm..

O and I want a battery run chainsaw.. a couple friends have them and I adore the fact that no one hears you cutting. you can take down tree's, prep your cords and more without a sound that will carry!
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 am

Farmgal... Question on battery chainsaw.

I can fell, de limb and cut up a large portion of a 1.4 foot maple on a tank of gas on my husky 455. Can this be done on one battery charge? Have looked at them for some time but never can get a comparison on what a battery can do. Those batteries are not cheap and I can’t see myself buying 4-6 to do a moderate days work Of felling and completely bucking up four such trees. I look at how fast my battery powered desalts drain and not sure the technology is up to to a serious task. Love the idea of no fumes and rattle when not in use but needs to chew through the trees.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 am

We cut down 15 trees, cut into sections and some clean up and we went close to 2 hours and we almost used one battery, he had a back up charged battery but we never needed it.. I can ask him as he is using it to put up his winter woods supply but from what I could see, yes I think it would

He was smart waited till they went on sale, cheap enough that he got two saws, two batteries.. only thing it needs to sharpening and chain oil.. just loved it..

Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol » Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Keep in mind, the batteries/ motors don’t do well in cold weather. My work life is reliant on battery powered tools, winter is a challenge, tools in the house at night and kept warm when not in use outside.
Most digital/ battery powered gear starts struggling around 10*/-12*.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Tue May 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Good thing: a lots of folks are at least trying to get back to gardening.
Bad thing: there’s virtually not a single seed packet left on the shelf in the Edmonton region.

Good thing: I didn’t wait for the shelves to go empty and anticipated the rush... ;) I have a stock for this year and next (of those seeds I don’t save).

Right now, I’m picking up canning supplies every time I’ll pass by some.

The key these days is trying to anticipate the next shortage and get ahead of it. What do you think it will be? By fall, I anticipate canning supplies will be scarce.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 pm

farmgal wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 am
We cut down 15 trees, cut into sections and some clean up and we went close to 2 hours and we almost used one battery, he had a back up charged battery but we never needed it.. I can ask him as he is using it to put up his winter woods supply but from what I could see, yes I think it would

He was smart waited till they went on sale, cheap enough that he got two saws, two batteries.. only thing it needs to sharpening and chain oil.. just loved it..
I would be interested in what brand/model it was.
While I absolutely adore my Stihl, the silent (or near silent) operation is interesting.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed May 27, 2020 1:52 pm

I will get that info for you Denob.. and good point about winter battery's and how the cold effect them..

As for the fall.. I am expecting a few things that need to be got ahead of time

Canning supplies are already in short supply, but also look to bulk sugar, bulk vinegar ( I do not think spices will be to much of a issue) Pectin but the main one that I would make sure to get ahead on now is new rings for your pressure canners and put up a couple extra, give time for delivery etc.

As for the gardening, the other thing to get ahead is tools, if you can afford to do so, bring in the extra's on the main things you must have and use.. look at getting extra bird netting for covering. look at getting cover crop as these things are going to get harder to find.

If you are looking at expanding a greenhouse, and can do so.. bring in the parts even if you do not get it up just have it there to start the build, work on it, and so forth.. (but only if you have room to store it properly so that the materials do not degrade)

The next thing we are looking at, winter.. Take a hard look at your winter gear, do you need new muck boots, will you need new winter boots, coats, pants, gloves and more.. I do not know where we will be in regards to the second wave but if things are locked down, factories will not be working, things will not be moving and that means things will lean down even more on "extra's"

But mainly I say it because the big stores and company's are shutting down left, right and center.. so if you normally buy X brand at this store, at the daily to weekly rate things are going even the big ones are shutting down stores and closing things up.. so if you looking at well worn gear.. replace it and if you love it! and can do so.. pick up a back up or two..

I am in that spot, I will need to head to penningtons to get "my" fit me jeans and stock up on a few things that might not be available to me once they sort out the "receivership" and we find out what is closed or all closes.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Bikes, bicycles. Was in the city yesterday and every where I went, no adult bikes. some kids bikes in stock but nothing for adults. The big Canadian tire store on the south of the city, as you are coming in on Calgary trail north was empty, The wall and overhead area where they hang all the bikes didn't have a single bike on the hooks.I should have taken a picture. Wallmart, same thing. I noticed the shortage 4 to 6 weeks back but now, there is just nothing for adults. Costco as well, nothing on the floor. From what I gather from the on line electric bike sellers, Everything coming in is being snapped up, everything! and ofcourse no sales anymore, prices are going up.

A interesting observation, At Costco right as you come in, there is a someone right there at the entry to give you a disposeable mask, when observing the people in the store I would guess 15% where not wearing the mask given to them?? I seen evidence of meat price increases.. a 2.7kg roast for 104.70.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”