No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Clarence
Canada

Re: No shortages?

Post by Clarence » Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Look forward to the details on that chainsaw brand. I have three solid units now of different sizes but it is tempting due to noise and blasted fumes. Most of the trees I cutdown are a solid foot and a half so unlike some smaller six inch ones, they take some churning.

With my expanded garden, I ran into a scramble to get hoses and sprinklers. China tire, TSC all sold out. Of anything worth while, so if possible, I would re commend stocking up for next year because if this rush on gardening caught on, wait till next year!!

I had mentioned winter tires before and farmgal note on boots.... is a solid! Same for any car, tractor, atv, generator batteries, spark plugs, filters ( oil, fuel and. Air) oil, any additives. I normally cycle through my gas supply with truck but now that I am going nowhere fast, it’s just sitting there. So I bought a large qty of fuel stabilizer.

We are finding Home Depot to be struggling with orders. They say it’s available and then a few days later we get an email saying ain’t happening. This has happened a few times in past two weeks. China tire says items are in store but I went fifteen minutes later and unless someone bought half the garden section in that time, they were wrong on the count. I get the feel that stores are struggling with online versus in store ordering and inventory. CT garden section looked like it would in July, stripped bare. Lots of rakes and hoes available which I thought was weird!

Look at home repair needs as well, transformers, light bulbs, pumps.... I plan on going area by area and making a list of redundant items I can afford to buy and know I may not need for one to five years from now.

We talked about the importance of making check lists for things and that should be looked at again, with our being tired and minds busy adapting to changes, we are liable toforget stuff. Case in point, I forgot to drain the water from my lawn roller last fall. Guess what needs to be welded now!
Last edited by Clarence on Sun May 31, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sat May 30, 2020 6:57 am

Did a shopping run today. Stores had most everything in stock. Again flour was in stock just not the variety we are used to. I scored 3 2.5 kg bags of powdered milk. This will be stored into half gallon canning jars as before. My vacuum sealer for jars came in and I have now gone back and vacuum sealed the jars of powdered milk that I had put away a couple months ago. I know from past experience that the powdered milk I kept in the kitchen in ordinary jars lasted up to 4 years just fine, don't think I ever had any longer than 4 years, so I have great hopes that by vacuum canning it and storing it out of light exposure, and at a cool temp that I can get 10 + years. Time will tell. 150 000 calories of the stuff put away in just the last 4 months (powdered skim milk). That is a lot of 1/2 gallon canning jars (50+), and that will make a lot of milk, years worth.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sun May 31, 2020 9:33 pm

While this refers to the US, I can see it occurring here as well.

https://www.newstribune.com/news/busine ... gh/829251/

Should be an absolute hoot by this fall!

I wonder if we will see any riots or “peaceful” protests up here this summer when people really start to see and feel reality?

Rationing anyone?

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:41 pm

FYI on meds in Ontario, I read this morning that province will lift the one month limit for prescriptions on July 1 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:15 pm

farmgal wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 am
We cut down 15 trees, cut into sections and some clean up and we went close to 2 hours and we almost used one battery, he had a back up charged battery but we never needed it.. I can ask him as he is using it to put up his winter woods supply but from what I could see, yes I think it would

He was smart waited till they went on sale, cheap enough that he got two saws, two batteries.. only thing it needs to sharpening and chain oil.. just loved it..
farmgal, any update on what chainsaw your hubby uses and its battery life with larger one foot plus trees?

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:15 pm

It's the Greenworks pro 60V. Lithium max.. it does come in a bigger version as well.. :)
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:10 am

Was at Costco this evening. Even though they offered free masks at the entrance, only about half the people wore masks, including those who had brought their own. Sigh

Fresh fruits and produces were noticeably absent, even compared to my last grocery run there a little less than 2 weeks ago. Actually, I was only going in to pick up fresh fruits and actually left with only paper products and cleaning supplies (we are stocking some more when we go out). TP was available, but only the Kirkland brand and more expensive than usual and in noticeably smaller quantity. No paper towels and tissues were also just one brand, small amount and more expensive.

Picked up canning jars at the local Canadian Tire. Well stocked but probably $1 more per pkg than last year. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sell out fast, like the seed racks which still stands in the gardening section completely empty except for one or 2 packages of weird ugly flowers and catnip.

Been trying to find hand sanitizer to replace our stash as it get used (don’t worry, we’re not running out). Saw some at CT today, but none of the regular brands, consistency is super liquidy (almost plain rubbing alcohol) and probably 3 to 4 times what the cost would have been 6 months ago. Sorry, not sure if I trust “GiGi’s Germ Killer” (not joking) hand sanitizer as I did Purell or even the Walmart knockoff of same.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:29 am

helicopilot wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:10 am
Was at Costco this evening. Even though they offered free masks at the entrance, only about half the people wore masks, including those who had brought their own. Sigh

That's what I don't get, the masks are offered for free, right at the door, it cant be any ones skin off their nose to wear the damn things for the 1/2 hour, hour they are in the store. I just don't get it??
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:39 pm

farmgal wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:15 pm
It's the Greenworks pro 60V. Lithium max.. it does come in a bigger version as well.. :)
Thank you kindly madam!
Will look into it, see what bar length is etc

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:45 pm

peppercorn wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:29 am
helicopilot wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:10 am

That's what I don't get, the masks are offered for free, right at the door, it cant be any ones skin off their nose to wear the damn things for the 1/2 hour, hour they are in the store. I just don't get it??
It’s... wait for it. “Peoplekind”
I couldn’t resist.. same folks who were handing out tickets to parents playing ball with their child in a park, surfing alone in an ocean or cutting hair BUT, will allow tens of thousand to protest side by side. Ottawa has said they aren’t goi g to fine protesters in tomorrow’s march in ottawa. The government’s words and actions are useless dribble, have zero credibility etc so not surprising the peoplekinds are all over the map. I would have grabbed a mask, said thank you and continued with mine on my fat face.
It’s really screwy out there

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”