No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
peppercorn

Re: No shortages?

Post by peppercorn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 am

Bike parts, Try and buy some, you will be out of luck. I tried to pick up some spare tires/tubes for my bikes, and to my amazement most every size was out of stock, the shelves looked bare. I was only buying just for stock, I have lots of spares, but if someone was really needing them they might be sol.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Speaking of bike parts. Every 2 weeks our local bike shop puts out a tied up bundle of old bike tires for garbage. Anyone have any nifty re use ideas for them?
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:56 am

Add to the list: kids clothes!

Watched the kid getting out of bed this morning and though “I’m pretty sure those PJs weren’t as tight on you last night...” Mrs HP acknowledged that the kids clothes we bought earlier this spring shrunk (or the kid grew up again???).

Realizing that The Children’s Place is closing their brick and mortar locally, we went online and found the majority of what we looking for was sold out. Not one for going to the malls, we did the second worse thing (beyond malls) and went to Walmart. The kids clothing section was eerily empty! Odd XSmall PJ (not gonna work...) handful of kid leggings and of all the different sizes and style, only about a dozen T-shirts to pick from (none of them my kid’s size). Oh well, let’s go look at sandals, since them too shrunk... ONE MODEL! That’s it. Just like old Soviet days “you have a choice between this one and the same one!”

I guess I may as well open an Alibaba account and start cutting the middle men and order directly from China. If only I understood the sizing conversion...

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:57 am

Had to run into CT today and to my amazement, BIKES, bikes of every type in stock again!
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:58 pm

so many back orders and empty spaces on anything to do with gardens.. my gosh.. a girlfriend is trying to find a sprinkler (not that I like sprinklers for the gardens but its not my garden.. must be nice to have that good of well and be a private well as the public are on no water bans already) and nothing no where..

Good to know on the bikes.. nice.. as for the cloths.. we have very limited supplies in our neck of the woods as well.. things are there but the type are limited.. the sizes are limited and the quote "sales" are last years normal prices and the normal are up for sure..

Locally its very noticeable that all the second hand shops are closed and that the stores do not have to adjust pricing and have very limited places to buy.. allowing them to up the prices.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:26 am

My wife and I are looking at everything we will need for next springs garden
While lettuce, kale spinach..isn’t a must, I am looking at winter boxes and going one or two a go so we have some fresh greens over the winter and avoid shortages, higher costs and trips to get the stuff and of course needing to clean them for covid.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Since getting into ham radio, I've had an interest in building electronics.
I get all my components from China.
I know, buy Canadian etc...but I'm not paying $1.00 for a resistor when I can get them for pennies out of China.
Suppliers are now really really slow to fill orders and some are cancelling them altogether.
The excuse? Chinese parts suppliers are telling me that the mail is not working so they just won't ship.
Hmmmmmm...post is working fine on our end, and I haven't heard anything about China Post being out of service.
Wondering where the real issue is!

SetiCruncher
Canada

Post by SetiCruncher » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Denob wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:06 pm
Since getting into ham radio, I've had an interest in building electronics.
I get all my components from China.
I know, buy Canadian etc...but I'm not paying $1.00 for a resistor when I can get them for pennies out of China.
Suppliers are now really really slow to fill orders and some are cancelling them altogether.
The excuse? Chinese parts suppliers are telling me that the mail is not working so they just won't ship.
Hmmmmmm...post is working fine on our end, and I haven't heard anything about China Post being out of service.
Wondering where the real issue is!
I ordered an item in March for an elderly Relative, I thought it was coming out of the U.S., turns out it was coming out of China, it took 9 weeks from the day it shipped out of China to the day it arrived in Vancouver (I still haven't received it, so I assume it's in customs), so there maybe some truth to what your hearing from your Chinese suppliers.

wabsey11
Canada

Post by wabsey11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:19 pm

It might not be just China having a hard time shipping. I ordered beef suet from the UK, it shipped may 11th and I still haven't received it. They say June 30th it'll arrive.
Don't Agonize, Organize.

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Wabsey, Curious as to why you are buying beef suet from UK. A quick trip to the googler finds it available in Canada. Is it better, cheaper etc?
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”