No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
helicopilot
Canada

Re: No shortages?

Post by helicopilot »

Sale prices on feed is negligible. Peavey Mart (Tractor Supply) sometimes marks them as $0.50 off.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Went to pickup some 6mil vapour barrier in case needed for a greenhouse next spring or even next fall.looked like they were short by about 40% of stock.

Wandered over to snag some glues for various tasks and those racks looked pretty depleted as well/ 40% empty

Didn’t pay to much attention to what else was looking a bit barren but it did appear sparse. True it was a Monday morning but I have been shopping for 47 years now and have a good feel for what things should or have looked like.

Went to pickup an food order and they had no turkey breasts. Our butchers is having a hard time with pork tenderloin and chicken. Excellent prices and hormone free but we notice the increased delay in obtaining.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

In speaking with my plumber, I asked him about his labour situation, work.. said all good but is worried about parts from the US if a second wave hits this fall...

Oven went caputzki the other day, found one and luckily they had “one” in stock that suits the needs but otherwise it was again “maybe” end of September for that model or others that were similar.

Should know this week if that freezer we ordered in May will be here next week
Learner
Canada

Post by Learner »

Went to the closest Costco to us this past Sunday to get a few things, one of which was a small freezer if they had one. They had one 5 cubic foot and about 10 or so 3.5 cu. ft. ones. We were after the 5 cu. ft. so we purchased that one. While getting ready to load onto a cart, a few people were checking out the freezers and one guy even checked out this one. They had a couple of large stand up freezers there, with quite a hefty price tag.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Wonder what the montreal port strike will have on our supplies. Started August 10,
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

PEr learners comment below about Costco freezers. I just ordered a large chest unit in, supposedly 10 day delivery.

My order with Home Depot from early summer, promised for July 21 time frame, pushed back to next week. Well guess what, we called to see if they have the snot together this time. Nope the twits are saying looking like November now! What a sack of donkey dung. They know next weeks delivery isn’t coming till November and can’t even email customers to say nope we have no idea what we are doing... my advice, stay far Awaaaaaaaaay from Home Depot for anything you can’t walk out of the store with, utterly useless and unreliable. I called around ( ottawa area) again to other retail stores and they all said the same thing ( at least they were honest and indicated out the gate the status) that no big freezers are available.

Apparently they can’t get parts needed for simple assembly.

Man oh man is this fall, winter, spring and summer of 21 ever looking like a snot show on steroids. One good thing is, hopefully people tell our leaders to raise import duties on all Chinese goods and start making it possible to manufacture here in North America or Europe. Same for medicines.........

So anyone want or need stuff, go grab now and in person if possible, trust not even your usual big box stores. I know people say that shelves are looking better these days but I am guessing that is more a reflection of people being tapped out on cash or room on credit cards, the false sense that we are out of the woods and no longer stocking up or those who do want to stock up to their comfort level have already done so and for NOW, we have the sheeple back to old habits Of buying just what they can afford or need.

Another thing I heard from a vender is that some of the plants who used to assemble freezers.. are now producing masks! Possible I guess

Prep on, have a hunch we may see those shelves thin out in three to four weeks.

Anyone have info on Canada’s food production this year? Be interesting to follow that as well.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Relative in montreal needed a new stove. Found one but it’s stuck at the montreal port that is on stike😂😂😂. You just can’t win.
SetiCruncher
Canada

Post by SetiCruncher »

When all this really started to hit the fan there was a worldwide shortage on PPE's, now they are everywhere, most are mid to low end quality but at least they are now out there.

Still a massive shortage of Aluminum (maybe due to U.S. tariff issues) causing companies like Coke and Pepsi to limit their production.

Still get the odd call from relatives in "The City" looking for Disinfecting Wipes or T.P. The Wipes are still hit and miss but a little easier to find now, then they were even a month ago, so things are slowly making a bit of a come back.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

With likelihood ood of second wave starting to hit here in Ontario, I would guess this weekend or next should see those lines at Costco ...increase. Key shelves will likely be bare by end of first week in October.

A friend is building a small log cabin for weekends and they are hitting a wall for buying 2/4 and plywood. Told them, build the rafters out of four inch hardwood trees and use poly and tarps for now. Floor may need to remain gravel or sand for now.

Wife and I are now reviewing what we can logically afford to bring in to top things up, but moving forward it will be, unless really needed, curbside pickup till this is over.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”