No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: No shortages?

Post by farmgal »

scrounger wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 pm Posting in local grocery store said "due to aluminum can shortage producers have cut back on flavours available."
Same the pop row is looking very empty these days and the signs are all up!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

As a friend of mine in shipping says.. the shipment comes in and its always shorted and then by the time they pull from it for the places being sent, they are shorted on 50% or more of their orders and its all gone in a matter of hours..

Its not you.. its not home depo.. its the supply chains.. they are "told they will get a full shipment" it arrives and then the paperwork shows the shortages.. sucks, I know. I have been dealing with it.. DO not tell him its on the truck and then short me on the paperwork.. Bleep, Bleep..

Happening so often.. grrrrr.. but at the same time.. so many limited company's to work with, and so many are working same supply chains.. so it is what it is..

Yes if you can find it in front of you.. get it.. one in the hand is better then two in the bush!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

farmgal wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:39 pm
Clarence wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:51 am Well, freezers seem to be in short supply, stand up or chest seem to be an issue for us, calling around and nothing that works or they don’t know when they will have in. Guessing between a few people stocking up and manufacturing... freezers May be the old TP :lol:

Bread machines are another we have noticed in short supply and I am guessing so will most things that are related to home based food production.
So are ice cream machines lol.. but no really I know at least a dozen peaple that are three months or more waiting for their freezers to come in.. they are massively back ordered.. I feel for anyone that needs one if their old fails because there will be no.. go get a new one to move stuff over into it..

I hope everyone who has a freezer full of meat, has the canning equipment that if needed to make it shelf stable if required.
I will be ok, tighter then I want but ok and we have a decent amount of mason jars....

But good lord it’s going to be frustrating for many good souls who believed in their masters, Talking head experts or system, did not have sufficient funds, sickness, or time.... September is right around a Very close corner.

Once people think of stocking up again, Or new gardeners think of freezing goodies they will start the search for freezers and curse. Canned goods it will be for them. Speaking of which, grab those while one can

With luck their freezer fails during cold snap in January and they can spread the food around to friends etc.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Interesting situation today. A neighbours asked me if they could buy eggs from me as there were NONE at the store she went. She had also heard that there were none at another store.....

I’m not really in the stick, but by a medium sized town a relative short distance away from Edmonton.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Another interesting thing.

Looking at buying some more rechargeable batteries. Looked on Amazon and the price seemed steep ($45 for a 16 pack of EBL 2800 mAh). Checked my previous order, 2 years ago was $38 for same.

I suppose demand drives the cost and there's probably more demand these days.

Any suggestions on where I could get some more rechargeable batteries without being gouged? Brand?
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Actually... Don't do what I just did and look at previous orders on Amazon vs current prices, it's scary!! Average is 20% increase!! Batteries, coffee pods, work gloves, Nalgene water bottle...
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Heli, try contacting the security company at your work site, they may be able to snag some from one of their suppliers. Also look up some Local battery outlets that cater to hobbies TD, contractors....
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

helicopilot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:53 pm Actually... Don't do what I just did and look at previous orders on Amazon vs current prices, it's scary!! Average is 20% increase!! Batteries, coffee pods, work gloves, Nalgene water bottle...
O yes, and I have noticed.. all over the place, the creep.. they are not even trying to hide it.. the costs are up, up and up.. and climbing and if we follow what is being seen globally, we have not seen nothing yet!

Ah Supply and demand, thou art a heartless Bleep..

But no really, its here and we can see if more and more on a number of things and places for sure..

So what was your most "wow, that went up" in the past week.. for me.. I order all of my herbs and spices in bulk and I was still able to get them for 3 to 4 cents a oz HOWEVER. a fellow canner, took a photo with the bill to prove that her 1 oz of yellow mustard seed at her local store was over 4 dollars.. this little tiny bottle.. insane.. now clearly with plans and a bit of prep.. no one should be paying this but my point is that was my WOW moment of the week..
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Canning jars are up $2/ dozen ($7.99 to $9.97)
Chicken feed up about $2/ sack ($13 to $15)

Mrs HP is usually the one doing groceries so I don’t have the same “intelligence” on grocery inflation, but the credit card bill for grocery gives me an idea of about 20% rise in cost, though we’ve also been buying a bit more than needed each time so perhaps the inflation isn’t as high as it seems.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

Man, I want Alberta pricing.. sigh! Those same canning jars here are sitting at 12.97 and that chicken feed, it moved to 15 last year and is up to 18 or more depending on what you are buying.. Its very odd that we have the same stores but such difference in pricing..

and yet they are still selling them.. our best sale price was still higher then your regular locally

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”