How do you defend your home?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Daisy

How do you defend your home?

Post by Daisy »

I wasn't born in Canada. I'm from the US - the South, no less, where guns are just a part of life. Many of the US prepping sites spend a great deal of time discussing weapons that simply aren't available here.

My home contains my family, my stockpile and my extensive library, all of which are precious to me. I will defend my home with everything I have in me and I am sure many of you feel the same way.

The new apartment I am moving to is far more "defendable" with the way the entry is set up, but I'm at a bit of a loss of how to legally defend my property. I'm planning to take the hunter's safety course so that I can get licensed to at least have a shotgun in the house. I also am a big fan of "bear spray" which is available at hunting stores. Not only will it mace the crap out of the "bear", it will dye it indeliably orange. ("Yes officer, the intruder was about 5'10" and he's now orange.")

What are your ideas for home defense?

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: How do you defend your home?

Post by Denob »

Hi Daisy and welcome to the great white north.
Yes, firearms can be a difficult item to get here.
First, you will take a firearms safety course, available from most of your locan gun clubs.
When you have passed your course, you then need to get your FAC...firearms aquisition certificate.
Get in touch with your local or provincial police about this.
Once you have been "screened" and get your certificate, you can go to your local hunting supply store and get your guns.
This process is for all available long guns, hand guns are a totally different story....I will look into what you need to do forthose and get back to you here.
Once again, welcome to Canada and I hope to be prepping with you often.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Denob - thank you for the information. I have a friend getting me the info for the next local firearms safety class. I'm very much looking forward to it. I've lived here for 16 years now, but only recently have I felt an urgent need to be able to defend my kids and my home. I live somewhat near the US border, and a concern I have is this: when the US dollar dies, people that are desperate will be crossing into Canada looking for supplies. I believe at that time, violence and home invasions will be on the rise.

I'm working on some other ideas too. I have bear spray, which is awesome and someone on another board suggested the foaming wasp spray. We are also in the process of moving to another apartment which has only one entrance and no windows on the main floor. (It's the upstairs of a house.) This, to me, seems more easily defendable than a house where an intruder is right in the living room as soon as he gets through the door. We are also getting a second dog (ours is so mellow she doesn't even bark when someone knocks on the door :roll: )

It's nice to see you here! I have high hopes that this board gets hopping!
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

I agree 100% Daisy,
I grew up in the Eastern Townships in Quebec which also borders the US.
You would not believe how easy it is to cross the border undetected(I actually did it by accident once on a cross country ski trip)
I think post SHTF, the border will be largely undefendable.
Not to mention that our economy is very closely related to that of the US, that any collapse there would certainly fall on us almost immediatly.
The bear spray sounds like a great idea. Have you thought of a bow and arrows?
I also want this board to get hopping, lets get our fellow Canadians into the prepper state of mind.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Hmmm...bow and arrow. It's great in concept but I'm not so sure in practice. I live in a city of about 200K, so I don't know how feasible it would be. Also, we are vegetarians so our food is easier to kill. :lol:

I figure we would have only a couple of weeks before the US collapse triggered a Canadian collapse. I also agree that the border would be undefendable. It's simlply to big of an area. Unless we build the Great Wall of Canada, and quickly, that is just a fact we will have to live with. It alarms me that the Americans are already armed to the teeth and I'm just starting out collecting my arsenal.

The US is also much more of a target for terrorism, which could also trigger a wave of "invaders".
TCadd

Post by TCadd »

I defend my home with implements that cause blunt force trauma. Essentially I know what I have around the house and can pick something up within one or two steps at any given time. Anyone coming through the door will need to be carried out.

Home defense is very possible without firearms although at some point you may have to abandon the home. My feeling is that if I think I need a gun to stay there, I'm not staying. Nothing against guns, but if I need it they probably have them too and life is a lot easier when you aren't dodging lead. Bug out bags for each member of the family are good.
Ready Freddy

Post by Ready Freddy »

Hi Daisy

just a quick note about Firearms

It's not all that hard to get your restricted firearms license in Canada as long as you have no criminal record, take the Resticted firearms course( and pass the test), have all the proper signatures on your application papers, have a current membership to a local gun club and you don't mind waiting 4 to 6 months for the Canadian Firearms center to do their job.

As far as home defense, a firearm is the surest way to put you in jail in this country so I suggest you get a good baseball bat to do the job until the SHTF, after that it's your call!

Cheers
Ready Freddy
Ancient Dragon

Post by Ancient Dragon »

Work from your personal space out. Take an effective unarmed self defence class like Krav Maga first. A gun , knife, or club may not always be at hand, but your hands and feet are. If you must have a projectile weapon and firearms are difficult to obtain, a crossbow might be effective in the closer quarters of a home or apartment. Nothing like a crossbow bolt sticking out of your chest to make you reconsider a course of action....
Longshot

Post by Longshot »

Hi, new to site but have been getting ready since Y2K. I would say that the best defence in a city of 20K people is to look and act like all the others. If they are hungry and they find out you have food, that's it.
I would buy black out curtains and hide my pantry with a false wall if possible or prepare for a bug out with a suitable vehicle and destination. Not so easy, but my best advice. I moved out to the country and got some hands on and contacts with the local people.
When your really thirsty you'll remember all the water you wasted.
NBprepper

Post by NBprepper »

Hello all,

Once you get all the documentation in place and are able to purchase guns at the local store, you need to know that we do not have the same laws around defending your home that the USA has. You can not harm an intruder in anyway if they are on their way out, you must let them leave. Tresspassing is not a reason to inflick damage on an individual. I guess in a SHTF situation that would not matter. I have a machette as a scare item, nothing sais "crazy" like boxer shorts and a machette at 2 am.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”