I need help with garden ideas

New Zealand Preppers Forum. Meet and Network with other New Zealand Preppers Here.
JGF

I need help with garden ideas

Post by JGF »

OK i'm clearing out a garden of mine and i'm trying to decide what to put in it, so far i have decided i'm going to plant tomatoes, corn, and peas.
any ideas ?
and i need some ideas for keeping birds away

martha

Re: I need help with garden ideas

Post by martha »

Gosh, I see you're in New Zealand. Maybe that's why our gardening experts haven't answered you.

I'm no expert, just someone who has hung in there despite collosal gardening failures. My thumb is getting greener all the time.

I'm presuming you're somewhat of a beginner, so my advice to you is to google your main gardening questions, and then take action. My Best Advice is to plant a lot of different types of veggies & fruit, that way if something is not suitable to your soil or climate, other things are bound to do well. Through your failures & successes and googling questions, you'll be on your way to gardening like a pro.

You can google recipes for your produce as well, for instance if everything else fails & you got a bumper crop of turnips, well don't despair, google it. And for cryin' out loud, don't be so picky that you won't try new veggies! I always marvel at friends who have to cook set recipes for their stubborn husbands who are too immature and set in their ways and downright selfish to try new food. Just sayin'... not sayin' it applies to you.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

Hi JGF and Martha

Yup, I missed it, there is a garden area on the main blog, most of the really heavy gardeners are subscribed to that area and would see your posts to give a helping hand..

viewforum.php?f=71

As a first time gardener, I would most likely look to plant what are considered easy plants, Martha is right, google is your best friend on these things of things.. but raddishs, potato's, tomatoes, herbs, squash, beans etc. Corn can be a bit tricky, you need to plant in such a way as to get good pollination rates. Pea's are tricky as well as they are temp controlled in a number of ways, plus the yield is quite small, you will get more bang for you buck with green beans in the same spacing etc.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
JGF

Post by JGF »

thanks for the advise, I'll try to grow corn and peas when i'm a better gardener, and i will Google it too.
Perfesser
Canada

Post by Perfesser »

Wait a sec. Beans and peas are nitrogen fixers. Even if you get no yield this time they help build good soil and IMHO that is the key to successful gardening. My peas don't always do that well, it often gets hot too quickly here but I plant em anyway.

Return to “New Zealand Preppers Network”