Food Storage

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
Civil Offense

Food Storage

Post by Civil Offense »

This is a hot topic for me, as it seems a lot of the materials required are hard, if not impossible, to come across in NZ.

In particular, I can't find mylar bags anywhere. If anyone knows where these can be obtain let me know! Thanks

Ant

Re: Food Storage

Post by Ant »

Havnt heard of mylar bags.Obviously used for food storage.could you fill us in?Ant&Rae.
Civil Offense

Post by Civil Offense »

Ant wrote:Havnt heard of mylar bags.Obviously used for food storage.could you fill us in?Ant&Rae.
Yeah for long term food storage of products like rice beans etc etc, with O2 absorbers. Its an alternative way of ensure you have food supplies if you're not into the rotation system.

Check out YouTube posting from "Delta69Alpha" also known as P.A.W productions for some helpful info.
Civil Offense

Post by Civil Offense »

Well to keep the forum going and developing, thought I'd post my progress on my food storage. Some of you may get some benefit from my efforts.

This will be a very slow process, as funds are pretty limited and, as important as this may be, it has to take a back seat to our day-to-day expenses/living.

Anyway, currently i have some O2 absorbers, which i got cheap off TradeMe. But since then I'm having second thoughts on them. Some of my research has shown that the Chinese made absorbers are not as good as others. So I'll hold on to these and look around for some from a more reputed manufacturer.

Just purchased 12 20ltr buckets with rubber seal lids.

Plan, currently, is to store the following:
Rice x3;
Dry pasta;
Kidney beans;
Salt;
Sugar;
Flour x3;
Milk powder;
Dried fruits (banana chips seem to store well, but currently looking into Dates and Figs given their nutritional qualities); and
whatever else...

Should add. This plan is based upon storing 3 months food for 6 people. Still to do the math on quantities etc. I figure WTSHTF we should be able to panic buy 3 months food, plus 3 months stored, and then we're on to plan A.2...

Any help thoughts etc welcomed.
northern_striker

Post by northern_striker »

G'day peoples... there isn't allot available for us in this part of the world regarding 'off the shelf' long term food storage which is a shame and I'm sure after recent events on both our countries that maybe families will start being smart and stop relying on our poor civil defence strategies to feed us and shelter us in our greatest times of need. As a parent I accept full responsibly for my family and their wellbeing at all times and all disasters. I have a great idea someone invest millions in setting up a decent Australasian supplie network of preppers products..

Easy :lol:
itsadisaster
United States of America

Post by itsadisaster »

Greetings from Arizona! I found a few long term food groups on your side of the pond and sharing as fyi. I don't know them personally so make sure you check around for local input. Hope it helps! :) itsa

Back Country Cuisine by Back Country Foods LTD supplies products in stores throughout New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.
http://www.backcountrycuisine.co.nz/bcc/

Settlers' Australian Dried Beef Mince http://settlersfoods.com.au/index.html
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan!
Darkriva

Post by Darkriva »

I wondered about the Mylar bags too, Im wondering if the plastic bags in the banana boxes found at the supermarket are Mylar??? they must just throw them in a skip after emptying out the bananas???
JayJay

Post by JayJay »

Civil Offense...can you get some beef stew for that rice and maybe some beef and chicken buillon cubes??
My dh says he'll be happy with either on his rice.
It was $1.39 a can last year and is now $2.00...geeze, such increases so fast, but we were warned.
Our stores here have vegetable stir fry in a can too.
I'm planning on getting some of that---the can is really big--too big for we two.

Good start with that list..I wish I had smarts when I first started saving.
Civil Offense

Post by Civil Offense »

Darkriva wrote:I wondered about the Mylar bags too, Im wondering if the plastic bags in the banana boxes found at the supermarket are Mylar??? they must just throw them in a skip after emptying out the bananas???
I checked them out at my local supermarket. They didn't look Myler to me. Anyway, wouldn't recommend recycling bags that are not yours. Your food storage is too important to risk for the sake of saving pence now. Spend the cash and get some sent in from the States.
Civil Offense

Post by Civil Offense »

JayJay wrote:Civil Offense...can you get some beef stew for that rice and maybe some beef and chicken buillon cubes??
My dh says he'll be happy with either on his rice.
It was $1.39 a can last year and is now $2.00...geeze, such increases so fast, but we were warned.
Our stores here have vegetable stir fry in a can too.
I'm planning on getting some of that---the can is really big--too big for we two.

Good start with that list..I wish I had smarts when I first started saving.
As far as I'm aware bullion cubes and the like do not store long-term very well. They are highly sensitive to moisture and break-down too quickly for long-term storage. Try tinned or freeze dried supplements to the rice. My list is a basic start, which plan to supplement with tinned goods that i can rotate through our normal shopping/eating etc. There's always panic paying too!!!

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”