Help a student learn about prepper life firsthand

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
ready_to_learn

Help a student learn about prepper life firsthand

Post by ready_to_learn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Hello, I am an American university student soon graduating from Grinnell College, looking for some help with a remarkable opportunity. I am applying for a Watson Fellowship, a grant that will allow me to travel outside of the US to study a topic that deeply interests me for one year.

I am currently studying sociology and religion, and what particularly interests me is survivalism’s rise as a movement. More specifically, I want to find out how gender plays a role in survivalist communities, and how traditional gender issues are addressed in their preparation and planning for the post-apocalyptic future. In order to do this, I plan to spend my year living and working with survivalists kind enough to host me. Through actively contributing to households, and through conversing with both men and women committed to a survivalist worldview, I will be better able to understand exactly how these issues intersect.

I am contacting you in the hopes that somebody here will be able to point me to survivalist groups or families (outside the United States) that might be interested in hosting me. I will be posting similar messages on various survivalist forums around the web, but if you have any advice or connections, and are willing to help, I would greatly appreciate it. PM me!

Thank you so much for your time!

MarlPrepper

Re: Help a student learn about prepper life firsthand

Post by MarlPrepper » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 pm

i think your idea is great.
i cannot host you sadly as my family thinks prepping is a complete nutcase topic and stays right away from it.
apart from my mum, the media has turned her into that much of a sheep that i could tell her aliens have invaded and she'd belive it.
i think your idea is great though and defiantly keep at it. there are a few places up in the north island that are renting to preppers. but that depends on how you want to stay.
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

ready_to_learn

Re: Help a student learn about prepper life firsthand

Post by ready_to_learn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 pm

@MarlPrepper,
Thanks! Your support means a lot, even if you're not exactly in a position to help right now :)

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”