Prep code?

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: Prep code?

Post by Denob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Since the idea is to identify fellow preppers without revealing your own prepper identity, I think that Gravlore's weather idea makes the most sense. This conversation can be initiated and, if the proper response is not given, can be carried out as small talk and the parties move on, without the prepper appearing to have initiated a coded contact.
Remember, the idea is not only to give and receive a proper code, but to appear completely normal should the other party not have the proper response.

If someone approached me after SHTF (or even before) and asked me what 11 x 10 was, well, I would know that either this guy is trying to contact someone covertly or is at best one or two eggs short of a dozen.

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Now we are talking.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Remember...the boy scouts did something so discrete and simple as shake with the left hand...most people could see this right in front of their eyes and not pickup on it.
Given that post SHTF, we will not likely be meeting many Australians in Canada and vice-versa, I think it would make sense for every country to develop their own code that fits in with their own culture.

JustABear

Post by JustABear » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm

I would suggest we develop some sort of physical recognition. A "coin", patch or the like. If we go with something verbal here it is open to anyone who comes on the boards whether or not they are preppers. Verbal would also be easily abused and spread by word of mouth to the masses. If we do something more physical it would be a visual signal and it could be more closely protected from the public. It could be a simple patch on your jacket, a lapel pin, keyfob or medalion. Criteria could be developed and only given out to people who are on here and have contributed. Thoughts?

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:12 pm

I think we have come up with some great ideas. I like JABS suggestions but I also like a verbal recognition too. Denob do you remember the first time we met? I was having a little fun and was not overly straightforward because I knew who you guys all were but nobody had any idea who I was. I wanted to see everyone's reaction to "an outsider" and yes it was cautious. If we develop something here we do not post it as JAB says that would defeat the purpose but we could be send PM to the serious preppers on this site.

Gravlore

Post by Gravlore » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Echo the PM thing.

MarlPrepper

Post by MarlPrepper » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:04 pm

i like the 11x10 idea but you might look like a total idiot if they arent from the network haha. the weather idea is good though. but maybe more confirmation?
heres another idea.
1:You think this disaster was natural or man-made?
2: i think it was martians. (Dumbass looking confirmation)
3: i think it was illuminati (more confirmation)
4: illuminati like to network (more confirmation)
5: and so do i (Final confirmation)
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 pm

It would be good to be able to use this greeting now before the SHTF. The response phrases are not the problem it is the initial greeting. The greeting has to be applicable now and later and for both situations it cannot be to out of the ordinary. As the same time it has to be something that preppers recognize, others wouldn't and it should not seem out of place. Probably something starting with hello followed by a short sentence. I am still thinking about that.

Gravlore

Post by Gravlore » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:45 pm

I still think a weather related convo is the most common before and after. But maybe a signal is the most effective, kind of like the 3rd base coach in baseball that tells the batter what to do.

Do something like this no matter what the conversation.

1: Scratches head.
2: Scratches knee.
1: Scratches elbow
2: Ties shoe.

Or they could both break dance :)

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:13 pm

That ok if you hands are not busy. I think the greeting challenge and all the responses should be verbal.

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”