Black "Flexi Tubs" as Solar Water Heaters

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
gracefromspace

Black "Flexi Tubs" as Solar Water Heaters

Post by gracefromspace » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:22 pm

I recently purchased 2 of these black "Flexi Tub" general purpose oversize heavy duty bucket containers for heating water by solar. They are 60 and 42 litre capacity. By filling with water to any level and covering the open top with a heavy duty black garbage bag they heat up well over the day and can supply warm to averagely hot water for bathing, washing clothes, etc depending on the degree of sun's warmth, and also double as storage bins for other items when not being used for water heating. The sides are flexible so they dont take up much room. NZ'ers, you can get these at The Warehouse stores, Mitre 10, & other Large Hardware stores. Cost $10 & $15 each for these bigger sizes and also available in smaller sizes.... very handy :)
Attachments
Solar Tubs 004.JPG
Solar Tubs 004.JPG (70.74 KiB) Viewed 3687 times

Gravlore

Re: Black "Flexi Tubs" as Solar Water Heaters

Post by Gravlore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:40 pm

We have about 3 of these for hot water. Anything black.

gracefromspace

Post by gracefromspace » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 pm

They're good aren't they Gravlore :) Some benefits & advantages over other black water heating containers I have.

secoff

Post by secoff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 am

We have a bout 3-4 of these, I even used one as a Ice Bucket for a Party we had, to put our beer in it.
These have a 101 uses.

HeinB

Post by HeinB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:47 am

Good plan there Grace, I have a few of the regular camping showers that I leave out on the deck on washing day, that way I get free HOT water for the clothes washing.

I have lately been contemplating a combination of evacuated-tube solar water heating on the roof with on-demand gas that is bottle fed. The repayment period is not ridiculous and it would be mint in any situation where electricity is down for any length of time. The only thing holding me back really is that I'm not 100% sure yet that this is the house I will be living in longgg term. Have been looking at lifestyle properties on trademe recently and am getting pretty tempted.

gracefromspace

Post by gracefromspace » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:51 am

Thank goodness there are still some other kiwi's here on the forum, I was beginning to think I was all alone & you had all evacuated long ahead of me :lol:

Sounds like a great plan HeinB, do keep us informed if you decide to go with it. Still a few good rural properties around that would be worth looking at. I know of one that needs some work, in the North Waikato and has been sitting empty for ages - going for a bargain price as it's currently owned by Transpower BUT has a dirty great pylon on the land. Shame as it has MASSIVE shed storage and about 6 acres I think.

secoff

Post by secoff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:04 am

Sounds like you have the write idea. My wife and i have been looking at Property on the West coast. Just bare land, all you need to do is Place a caravan or a Small sleepout on it and away you go.

Perfesser
Canada

Post by Perfesser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 am

Heating water with sunlight is quite efficient as it is without going high tech. Some black pipe laid on your roof will boil water pretty fast, especially if you enclose it in a crude box. Just coil a garden hose and lay some clear plastic over it and you'll see how well low tech can work for you.

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”