Whats to fear...?

Post general discussions here
Clarence
Canada

Re: Whats to fear...?

Post by Clarence » Fri May 03, 2019 2:35 pm

LAZ 1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:58 am
I do not prep from fear, but rather from foresight. I minimise the potential hazards I can forsee and control the situations that are controllable, and as for the rest, I accept that I can NOT foresee or control EVERYTHING, so I try to simply roll with the punches.

( The classic " God grant me the strength , courage, wisdom, etc prayer)

I realise that being born implies a death sentence ...
nobody gets out of here alive.

We will all ( ALL ... yes, even YOU)
DIE!

But not everyone will truly LIVE!!

I embrace the present, and look forward to a future that may be "interesting" and "challenging".

I do not rely on others to "rescue" me.
I do not rely on any govt, local, provincial, or federal to defend me ... when seconds count, the police may be only minutes away.

I do not expect any govt, local, provincial, or federal to act capably and within reasonable time frames on any major crisis.

I am a prepper ...
self reliance, a good versatile skill set, a willingness to work WITH other good people, and a bad attitude for the bad people, is how I expect to put off my inevitable end as long as possible.

But hey,
death IS inevitable,
so I am enjoying what time I have left as much as possible,
TODAY!

well said!

Wayne
Canada

Post by Wayne » Sat May 04, 2019 12:07 pm

HopeImReady wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:15 am
Clarence, not sure from where you are "observing" - but in response to #4, as someone who just returned from my 2nd stint this week sandbagging - I sure looked to me like the City has out there (in the flood zones) a sh*t-ton of heavy equipment, dump trucks, backhoes, etc pulled into service. Most of it has City of Ottawa logo, some is private businesses. The military also has their big vehicles out (alas, no sandbagging machine at our spot)...
I must admit that I get a little miffed at the efforts made to save homes from flooding. If I buy a home on a river or lake, my insurance rates reflect this risk. It is (imo) not the taxpayer's responsibility to foot the bill for saving the individual (or insurance company) the costs of damage.

Certainly helping ensure that people are safe and removed to a safe location is only reasonable. People have a responsibility to protect their own property. If they request assistance, they should be given the bill. I doubt that this is the case though.

If I have a heart attack and need an ambulance, I can expect EMS to send me a $500 bill for services rendered. Similarly, this should be the case to homeowners (with million dollar homes) who buy or build their homes in a flood plain.
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:02 pm

I will post a new comment on propane shortly. I came across the below comments on flood when doing a search for propane.

So for folks in ottawa and elsewhere who are affected by floods or other easily foreseeable event. I wonder what all the crying river and lake front people have done since the spring of 19? Are they simply renovating the damaged carpet and drywall, did they all sell or did they jack up homes? My guess is, 99.9% have simply made a claim and are having new stuff built and almost none have done what is truly needed. Guess we will see who is out wailing away about a surprise flood in the spring of 2020. If they are lucky, nothing happens and they will of course / per previous years, say “ we will be fine, that was a rare event”. Meanwhile our taxes and insurance rates go up to pay for these nice folks

Of course we won’t need to wait for spring floods to have people alla fluster. We have winter coming and people will be shocked when a snow or ice storm strands them on the road or short of food and heat. Hilarious lot the human species

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 am

Listening and watching hurricane Dorian and I have a few observations. Not listed in order

1. I am finding the video and other coverage of the Bahamas hit, extremely vague and limited. Oh the usual minor stuff and wide framed images but when you consider the size of the storm, the fact that it’s the Bahamas and not some who cares African country, I find it very odd and may play into my other observations.

2. You do not see much in the way of naval or air support. Considering everyone knew it was coming and in theory was stationed nearby, I find it very suspicious.

3. You witness the usual dude standing on a beach in one foot of water and leaning into the winds but not much else. Governor giving address to evacuate...

4 there are a few reports by citizens on page ten of a paper talking about gangs roaming around pilfering but again, considering the Bahamas is a friendly, close and well visited location, one would assume there would be more coverage of this.

5 here’s a clip, I stumbled across from another website. I am not an infowars follower but who am I to disregard a potential source. Accurate info sure as heck won’t be found in typical evening news.

https://www.infowars.com/in-dorian-rava ... g-killing/

Again , one would usually see the MSM picking this up. If not for anything else but to discredit a gov or highlight the evil use of guns by racist white men /

6. Can it possibly be that governments are simply running out of money to launch the big dramatic rescues of five or ten years ago? I know everyone is focused on President Trump and Experiencing TDS but still, based on previous events, I would expect more coverage

7. Locally in eastern ontario, there is basically ZIP about the spring floods, water is still high on the st Lawrence, so obviously, even after a dry summer, someone on the quebec border is keeping the water from flowing into Montréal. Wonder what next spring will be?

8. Just a weird feel about the absence of news, response and follow up to such large
Events. Only thing people can yammer about is climate change. But frig all else?

9. I have a hunch, governments are getting overwhelmed, no money... and just wish to keep the news down and populace like mushrooms. No tin hat stuff here, just trying to figure out why things that would normally get a few days of drama queen coverage are pretty quite with even minor details. I am going with absence of funds and as a result, embarrassment / desire to gloss over their inaction. All of which does not bode well / help those trying to keep abreast of things and adjust plans accordingly.

Wayne
Canada

Post by Wayne » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Update from the Nova Scotia Hurricane zone

I just wanted to give an update. As everyone knows, Hurricane Donian came ashore just outside Halifax. NS had a power loss to approx. 350,000 customers. I was without power for 30 hours. About 200,000 customers are still without electricity. That said I have four 50+ foot spruce trees leaning over the power lines to my home and an on the list for the power company to remove.

I was actually surprised that most of the homes in my area had generators and the lights were on. An encouraging sign that more people were prepared than I would have thought.

Other than the material covering the box of my pick-up being ripped by falling branches. We came out of it alright.
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:15 am

Wayne wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm

I just wanted to give an update. As everyone knows, Hurricane Donian came ashore just outside Halifax. NS had a power loss to approx. 350,000 customers. I was without power for 30 hours. About 200,000 customers are still without electricity. That said I have four 50+ foot spruce trees leaning over the power lines to my home and an on the list for the power company to remove.

I was actually surprised that most of the homes in my area had generators and the lights were on. An encouraging sign that more people were prepared than I would have thought.

Other than the material covering the box of my pick-up being ripped by falling branches. We came out of it alright.
I was wondering what damage the hurricane did, thanks for the update.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 am

Wayne wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Nice to hear people around you had gennys
Also that nothing too untoward happened to those posting on this board. Hope the people in ottawa have their stuff together for next spring and aren’t all mouth agape at water in their basement again.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:25 am

One is the absence of good intel. The blather of media while not new, seems to contain less and less details on covid. Most of the supposed news sources parrot the same thing and thus, do not provide new info of value. Politicians have mastered the art of saying nothing and opposition questions are neither hard hitting or informative.

So That’s one

Another is seeing people losing their minds and what I see as a form of paralysis setting in and how it may impact my family

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Per my previous post. Here is an article that appears sensible or possible and is exactly what I was referring to. The absence of good information. Given the aledged importance of covid, one would think that the below would be on multiple evening news broadcasts. Maybe it’s just me but I think they could talk less about some stupid baseball..... team being ill and pop this on instead. Then again, it would cause people to call their MP.. and ask serious questions. So for us on this board, our heart functions are important and while we may survive The initial covid event, the heart issue can effect our ability to do what we need to do during a crisis. So staying healthy / covid free is extremely important. To bad the media can’t find the time to broadcast this on evening news in lieu of some game not being played.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/927908/e ... tudy-shows

Return to “General Discussions”