The Ethics of Survival

Post general discussions here
Judoka
Canada

Re: The Ethics of Survival

Post by Judoka » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm

To paraphrase Isaac Asimov from the Foundation series "Never let your morals stop you from doing the right thing" This sums it up from me. In a survival situation that is of the severe, society collapsing, variety then "looting" or "theft" of survival materials from big stores is not hurting the survival chances of any person. The goods in there are owned by a corporation which exhibits no moral responsibility before or after a collapse. The shareholder will not see return on their investment anyway. This would be a praise-worthy act of liberation of important resources that can help the common good.

Theft from an individual, group, or family is hurting real people and would be harmful to their survival. This would a fundamental failure of our social contract. Besides survival depends on groups, you should work with those people not against them.

Loot from companies and corporations, work with individuals, stop marauding gangs who break the social contract! Steal your trucks from a car lot if possible, not from people.

People should think of rights as just legislation that can be change, that is how we got rights and that is how we can lose them. The only right you have is to get away with what you can. That said, humans survive in community, not alone.

After a major collapse entitlement and ownership will only be as good as the strength to defend it, or take it. People are not nice without restrictions, those restrictions come from society and social contract.

Wayne
Canada

Re: The Ethics of Survival

Post by Wayne » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Judoka wrote:...The only right you have is to get away with what you can. That said, humans survive in community, not alone.

After a major collapse entitlement and ownership will only be as good as the strength to defend it, or take it. People are not nice without restrictions, those restrictions come from society and social contract.
Some people don't desire to be cooperative. When it comes down to it, they're for number one and only number one. They're frightened and have lost control. Caring for others has been supplanted by only caring about themselves.

I've witnessed this numerous times during survival training courses that I've run. It takes time to get to this point, but it happens with some people. If you're in a group with such a person, it stresses group dynamics and bleeds productivity. Often people experiencing this trait don't add to the group, but detract from it. Some people try to help them, which results in an additional burden on the group.

I believe that a survival situation calls on the survivor to build a stable platform. Personally, I would start with immediate family, then close friends where I could be relatively confident in the group dynamic. If someone needed help, I'd attempt to help them if I could, but I wouldn't invite them into my group.

I believe that one of the chief advantages of survival is others. One of the largest risks of survival, is others....
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

Return to “General Discussions”