Pandemic Spending

Post general discussions here
SetiCruncher
Canada

Pandemic Spending

Post by SetiCruncher »

I saw an article on MSN.ca a few days ago entitled How Canadian's are Spending Their CERB Money. To be honest, I never really read it. but for the last couple days I've found myself thinking about it. So I thought why not start a thread and see how those with Preparedness Thinking are spending their money during this pandemic.

Personally, as I'm still working on the front lines I don't qualify for any of the Governments CERB Money but this Pandemic has caused me to spend quite a bit more money then I normally would be at this time of year.

When this Pandemic first hit I upped my Emergency water supplies by 70%, added more shelf stable dry goods to my supplies, but the vast majority of expenditures (more then I care to admit to) has been on N95 quality masks(they're not cheap). Some, through my employer, I have recently acquired but I am still patiently waiting on two small orders from over seas.

While many of my co-workers have been spending their new found wealth through a slight pay increase on Vehicles, Gambling Habits, new cloths, junk food, ect. Mine has all been spent primarily on preparedness.

I hope I never really NEED any of my Preps but there is a degree of security knowing I have them if needed.

peppercorn

Re: Pandemic Spending

Post by peppercorn »

I don't get CERB money, but I too upped my storage of durable food goods over the last four months. I haven't stopped to count it all up yet, but easily by 800,000, maybe a full 1 000 000 calories over the last few months. Its not wasted money, it will all get eaten.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
YVRGnome49p

Post by YVRGnome49p »

No CERB here but I do see the garden centers in my neck of teh woods doing a booming business. Guess we are all going to have great gardens this year.

Godspeed.
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown »

We didn't get CERB either. But our spending habits changed drastically. We've become exceptionally good at shopping...only venturing to the grovery stores every 3 weeks. We are not spending any money on restaurants, stores, frivolous items in retail....however....coincidentally....we've gotten a free 30 day trial with Amazon prime. So....yeah.....lol. Needless to say....the online shopping has increased exponentially.

And its been a helluva lot of fun! :)
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738
SetiCruncher
Canada

Post by SetiCruncher »

I've noticed a slight shift in my Pandemic Spending.

Although I rarely use it, I find myself buying Hand Sanitizer and Lysol Wipes when I see them.

I originally started buying them for relatives that use them and couldn't find any. I now have those relatives well stocked, and still buy the odd Sanitizer and/or thing of Lysol wipes. Although I rarely use these products myself, I'm thinking I might be buying them, just because they are often hard to find these days.

Scarcity = tendency to buy.

Guess I better start using these products or stop buying them :)
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

No CERB here.

I find My spending pattern has shifted. Other than for our growing child, we haven’t bought clothes at all in 3 months. No entertainment spending and reduced car travels.

More money went to ensuring a successful, larger garden. No crazy doomsday prepping purchases.

One thing that has changed. We use to thriftily grocery shop at Walmart or a small NoFrill grocery store, being equidistant between those 2 from our rural property. Walmart has been a zoo since the beginning with people clearly not respecting any posted measures. The small town NoFrill has been marginally better as the small town clearly displays the “this is a big city problem”. Carts are no cleaned, patrons bring their reusable bags and marginally respect one-way aisle signage.

So as a result, we’ve been visiting an other grocery store and found the prices to be quite a bit higher. But we accept that we pay for the “COVID-Convenience” of enforced store capacity and traffic patterns, cleaned carts and tills, etc.
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

Huge expenditure in our garden this year. Don’t want to give amount but it’s considerable. Between honda tiller, earth, hoses.... it’s a significant outlay. Now that said, I think it’s big enough now to provide a lot of essential vegetable for the two of us. However, I am not looking forward to weeding it! :(

Added two more freezers to the mix

All the preps in automotive or tractor spare parts I did in January and February

Increased food quantities, mason jars, zip lock bags, vacuum sealer rolls, and meds....

Yeppers, been one really expensive spring, thank god, we did what we did before and could afford to do more.
Last edited by Clarence on Sat May 30, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

We do not get any extra CERB funds nor the baby boosts, nor any other "here" funds.

We lost a good portion of income this spring when all my training events/classes and speaking events were cancelled.. on the other hand I have been interviewed for the CBC and quoted more then once now in regards to gardens and gardening etc.

Spending has been uneven.. We normally do dinner out 2x a month, we normally go to a movie maybe once a month max (only on double date night to keep costs down) so we are saving on car costs, we are saving on transport costs for hubby who normally does the park and ride.

However, we did up spending on a number of things to get ahead of the curve on things, all will get used and once its spread out it will all come out in the wash. As I now have my Master Rain Garden CERT and I have my Master Garden Paper work and will be finishing another course from the U of Sask, I am working with a landscape company and that allows me to order in plants in at wholesale, so I did have a few clients that I have worked with and it was a amazing to see a semi pull up with several thousand (at whole sale price point.. retail double it or even triple it depending on the item) worth of plants.

I might have been one of the clients in regards to a good amount of new bushes and fruiting tree's coming on the farm..

The crazy snapping up of anything canning related locally made me go.. hmmm.. so a local group of us ladies got together and did a massive number of pallets (50 cases of 12 per pallet) and also sleeves of the extra lids at 360 per sleeve.

Everything's costs are up.. and I do mean everything! Its all going to add up.. some things I can do about it, other things I can not.. working where I can and keeping a open mind on things I need but might be able to find a way around.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
Learner
Canada

Post by Learner »

We don't get any extra funding here either. DH drives truck, so has been considered essential and has continued working.

Our spending has been on resupplying what we have used and also in getting a bit of extra here and there as we have been going out and about. We will be spending on getting some more fruit bushes and maybe a tree or two more yet, as we are changing out a bed of plants and have lost a tree or two that will require replacement.

Have been noticing that almost everything is getting a bit more pricier in the stores and if it is not needed will not be buying. The biggest surprise is the almost empty seed racks everywhere. The canning supplies in the stores are somewhat the same as always that I have noticed, but am sure that with more gardening going on, they will be learning to can too, so supply will change. That is something that will also be bought more of around here as the farmers markets will be starting up within a month, so will be able to get back to the jamming and pickling.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

I heard on the news that in the states, it was a USA night program I get on the radio that they said that overall folks were spending the least amount possible over the past two months (worst possible for the stores) and that they also had the biggest bump in savings over the same two months..

I found it interesting.. not just because people are putting up for a rainy day but it kind of fly's in the face of what we are talking about here.. they are not stocking up or planning ahead.. they are hunkering down.. looking to hold on to what they have now for use in the future.

I wonder how many people in Canada are doing the same thing?
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Discussions”