What has this Pandemic taught you?

General Preparedness Discussions
SetiCruncher
Canada

Re: What has this Pandemic taught you?

Post by SetiCruncher »

helicopilot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 am It made me realize the importance of Preparedness vs Being a Grey Man. I explain...

Prior to the pandemic, we had a a few dozen disposable "surgical" masks and a couple boxes of 50 or so N95 masks. I also still have my issued gas mask as well as a 3M full face respirator (with different filters) and a half-mask, both for hobby work. Finally we had a couple of kid-sized masks from asia that we got as a result of poor air quality index due to fires a few years ago.

In my mind, we would be good in the event of a temporary reduced AQI if we needed to evacuate the area, or in the event of a virus of sort.

Turns out that we certainly didn't have enough disposable masks. As for the other masks, they scream for attention, which is NOT good. I can't imagine the looks I would get at TSC/Peavey Mart with a full face respirator. As for the N95s, they're still sitting in the closet! They were taboo to wear as a "lay person" from the get go after they announced the poor healthcare providers had to do without. There certainly were pressures for those who had them to "surrender them" at local care facilities (yea, I'll bring mine up riiiight away...).

While I could reasonably go around for a week or 2 with disposable masks (maybe my wife is a nail tech and we had a bit of a stash as an alibi), wearing them past that point would have identified I have a stash, again, it draws attention. So the end result is that the only compromise that can be made is having home-sewn REUSABLE (washable) masks.
Heli,

The Attention that a good supply of masks draws has crossed my mind a few times during this Pandemic.

When the Pandemic first started and masks were near impossible to find, I noticed the looks that people with masks were getting in public. I have to admit although I don't wear a mask, these looks caused me concern.

Now its no big secret that cloth or homemade masks don't provide much protection but for anyone who has a modest supply of disposable masks (surgical or N95) then I think the idea of a cloth or homemade mask that covers the Disposable mask is the way to go. This would allow you to blend in with the masses without drawing undue attention to you and your family.

For any Prepper in a disaster the trick to survival is to blend in and not become a target or you may not have your supplies very long.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

SetiCruncher wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:44 am
Now its no big secret that cloth or homemade masks don't provide much protection but for anyone who has a modest supply of disposable masks (surgical or N95) then I think the idea of a cloth or homemade mask that covers the Disposable mask is the way to go. This would allow you to blend in with the masses without drawing undue attention to you and your family.
I’m not convinced that wearing an N95 in everyday setting would help the average person with virus prevention. Let’s be honest, good mask hygiene - that is proper donning and doffing as well not constantly touching the dang thing - is not germane to the average person. Even with non-medical masks, people are constantly touching them, bringing potentially contaminated hands by their face.

Also, the virus isn’t a gas and other than the contaminated surface -> hand -> face most common infection route, the other would be through droplets (the moist speaking the PM was talking about). So unless you wear goggles or a face shield, an N95 alone serves little other than drawing attention to you.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Well the below is most certainly not a surprise to me and there’s a lot more of the below that many a government can easily execute, so for those who have the belief that a western government wouldn’t lock you in your home, think again. Remember, we are talking Australia and not China, Nigeria or some other dictatorship country.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/0 ... rus-spike/

So, when the stuff hits the fan, the last place I would want to be is in a city or nearby suburb. My advise is, if you can swing it financially, make sure you have a plan in place to go before the barricades... go up and that you don’t procrastinate in leaving. I know, easier said then done with jobs, family, health etc but keep it in mind and as we can see below, Just don’t believe in the tooth fairy. Once they have you, your theirs till they decide to let go. Think cruise ships where no one wanted people and you were stuck with the sick. As we have seen, our governments are not really prepared, the media is useless and people become so afraid of their shadow, they blindly follow directions like an old mare with blinkers on and headed to the glue factory.

I am no wing nut redneck, conspiracy theory, hearing voices speak to me from a rock etc. just a fairly experienced soul who Can flip between a Tux, jeans, to suit or hunting camo and can chat with a corporate president, federal cabinet member, deputy prime minister, director of ABC agency, ambassador, carpenter, farmer, hunter, anti hunter, soldier, gang biker, Rabih or minister and who knows a fair amount on various security related topics and what comes naturally to me or what I have been taught or learnt. I don’t trust to many folks and while I have worked with or for governments and respect and love many in the security or other fields, I wouldn’t trust the government blob to do what’s right by me, they think of themselves or as I know it, “the crown” and When it comes down to brass tacks, nothing else. Some of the people care, but the corporation is geared to preserving the crown. They have a place and function, but people need to not place any great trust in the blob and as we have seen time and time again, to simply plan to take care of oneself and others. All good, no need to panic, be angry etc. just do what we do and that is plan for various scenarios. Prepare on, prepare on and get the heck out of tight spaces when you can.

Because IFFFFFFF, we get the predicted second and third waves, which again in theory will be worse then the first wave, it would, given what we have seen and continue to experience, that things will be far worse then round one. True we now know not to listen to amateur “experts” on things like masks, that besides cleanliness, the really only thing is distance because the air in a store, elevator or office space circulates around and around and around. We know the lies about products And food being available isn’t worth the air it’s floating on and that our supplies chains are weak. We know that the debt is ballooning and someone, somehow will need to pay for it in some way or fashion. Which of course will lead to other system or life style changes. Forget listening to talking heads and just think. Given what cities look like in the US, could we expect something along those lines during a bad phase two and three? Just a question we should Honestly ask ourselves and subsequently consider preparing for. If one kept their job this round, would your employer be able to carry you or yours from mid September to next May? How could you help a family member if they fell on hard times in another city? IFFFFFF, travel restrictions/ emergency measures act was to be implemented, how would your family manage. We noticed tiny border control measures this time around, what will happen of things get far worse? We have people on this board who travel from province to province or have family in other provinces, so it’s something to not forget about. We witnessed gun seizures or at least the start of them, would Sales of ammo for your trusty 22 be Suspended? I can’t see the current government being overly concerned about shutting down hunting stores with their typically more conservative voter base ( no one freak out about politics, just a simple and logical theory about life or somewhat predictable behavior ) Closure of a hunting store may cramp ones shopping for snowshoes, cross country skis, tents, stoves, ice fishing gear etc etc.

So let’s think of this fall and winter with the lessons learned
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

you want to know what this has truly taught me.. that in order to prep in the way we talk about.. we need money.. so much more money spent then most peaple want to say..

What about those trying to keep their heads up above water without that extra funding.. yes I know, I know.. I am going to get the they should have prepped better.. but I am being real here..

Step out of the "hey, we should have all done this or that.. " and lets see about those that have done all the basic's, that are already living plainly on basic smaller incomes.. I am watching what is happening and coming and I am truly worried..

Sigh.. they just said yesterday that it will take 5 years at a min to dig our way out.. and to which I grunted and went.. sure.. not if it keeps going the way it is.. sorry I am a bit of a downer today.. but its hitting home in so many ways over the growing season..

While I am lucky enough, I have so many peaple's who birds or more are dying in this heat, peaple who's gardens are dying, tree's are dropping leaves, other area's that are flooding and plants dying from the water.. others who had heavy frosts less then two weeks ago.. they will not get the crops off..

Hay crops that are getting 1/4th to 1/3rd the normal amount.. winter kills and more.. the different challanges world wide are staggering if you start lining them up and really looking at them..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger »

Farmgal you are on the right side of the grass. Some day's that's the best that we can hope for.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

A quick follow up to farmgals post two posts below.
It is indeed costing a ton more money then I anticipated. Admittedly there are luxuries in types of food but still, a ton of money. Then there’s the laundry detergents, cleaning chemicals, medicines, balms, ointments....fix yourself quality medical supplies, extra batteries, radios, TP :oops: , spare parts for the various vehicles...
while I thought I was in good shape before, I now realize that I wasn’t where I should have been and I said to my wife, thank God we did what we did over the decades or the bill and labour / effort and
mental drain involved would really be high.

If I look at my situation, there are things I could have done for less but convienance and perhaps better security, made me turn a part of my forest near the house into my garden versus down in my valley where there is decent organic soil and no trees but is further away and watering would have been more of a pain. I wasted/ spent more money on that but it is closer to the house.

I echo FG’s sentiments about those who haven’t the means or are getting hit with lousy weather etc. then there may be those whose health has taken a nose dive and that’s messing up efforts.

So getting back to the topic at hand, besides what it has taught us, what are all the funny items that we have found we didn’t have but realize we do indeed need or want.?

I think for me, it was medicine,the limits of one month refills and impact of expiration dates if and when I did buy a few months supply at a time ( nice to get six months supply, but expiration was all the same!)

By people listing their “I forgot this key item” here, it may help others catch a gap in their plan and as we see some supplies dwindling, catch it and correct before the well runs dry.

Example; While peppercorns solar setup may be fantastic, most people are probably not able to get a similar setup in place in a short period of time or maybe even never, however, when he mentions a particular battery that was hard to obtain, it may be enough to tickle a person into saying they should get a really good one so they can be assured of running a medical device or charging of radios, a freezer... things that we see as important for one situation may trigger something else and save the day.
SetiCruncher
Canada

Post by SetiCruncher »

We're now a year / year and a half into this Pandemic and there is a signs that its winding down.

When this all started I was caught woefully unprepared for an airborne pathogen/Viral Pandemic, and was scrambling to play catch up. Now a year and half later as things start to wind down, I still don't think I'm really prepared for a real serious airborne pathogen, but I've managed to come through this Pandemic unscathed despite being on the front lines from the very beginning.

Earlier this evening I was digging for a disposable industrial mask for a little home project and was surprised to see that despite my starting this whole Pandemic behind on preps, I still have several hundred disposable Industrial Masks and a couple hundred Disposable Medical Masks not to mention a few mid-level quality reusable masks. After a year and a half into this Pandemic I was surprised to see I still had that kind of inventory.

Hopefully they can be tucked away after and never be needed again, but should the Variants take over or some other Pandemic hit us, its nice to know I'll at least be slightly prepared for the next one.

Return to “General Preparedness”