Personal skills.

General Preparedness Discussions
Antsy
Netherlands

Re: Personal skills.

Post by Antsy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 am

Gravlore,
I read a book called " Mr. Gatling's Terrible Marvel" where the culture of inventing and getting patents was booming. While I consider myself to be a jack of trades, regrettably I am no "maker".

Antsy

Needs must when the devil drives.

ranger2012

Post by ranger2012 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:43 am

Here in Canada I believe that 1 in 10 preppers are military, I for one can make the earth move or fix a jet engine. CBE and AET :mrgreen:
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:31 am

The following is a fairly exhaustive list of skills that we have compiled. If anyone has more suggestions please post them. Which from list would you define as essential or crucial skills that you would need to have or a member of your group would need to have if you were to survive in the long term following the collapse of society after the SHTF?

animal husbandry
bee keeper
blacksmith
boot making
bowyer
brew master
brick laying
butchering
canning
carpentry
chemist
child minding
cooking
cooper
dehydrating
demolitions.
Dentist
distiller
electrician
electrical engineer
electrical technologist
fabricator
first aid
fishing
fletcher
framing
furniture making
furrier
gardening
gathering
glassworker
gunsmithing
heavy equipment operator
Herbalist
homesteading
hunting
husbandry
inventor
knitting
lawyer *
leatherwork
machine designer
midwife
military
nurse
outdoor survival
pastor,
people skills
plumber
prayer warrior
reading body language
sewing
sewing
sheep shearer
shelter building
soap maker
spinner
spiritual leader
story teller
tanner
tanner
teacher
teamster
tailor
time management
tracking
trapper
vet nursing
veterinary
wainwright
water purification
weapons making
weaving
welder
wheelwright
wood turning
wood working

rinocbernard

Post by rinocbernard » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:07 am

sewing leather, nylon webbing up to 7/8inch thick, farming, horticulture, butchering,survival skills, hunting, trapping, security strategies and cooking :)

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:25 am

Thank you Rinochernard. Once we have a few posts as to what preppers feel are crucial skills I will collate them and post them.

Mooswa
Canada

Post by Mooswa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:47 am

ICRCC.............. I think you have all the bases covered in your list. But......... lawyers? Number one reason for the downfall of society. I think what is needed is an advocate, not lawyers. People who will act as advocates but receive no pay and are doing it because they are compelled and it is the right thing to do.

In a perfect world. LOL
Let no good deed go unpunished.

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:03 am

I hear you. Someone suggested a lawyer and in response someone else replied something along the lines that it was probably not a bad idea because post SHTF, we may all be required "to...er...do stuff", that could get us in trouble with whatever law enforcement that may still exist. So lawyer was added. Personally I thought in my situation I could live with that if they possessed some other "useful" skill in addition. Truly though it would be useful to have someone versed in the law in a post SHTF situation, even to resolve disputes between preppers. To be an advocate, making recommendations, there has to be a solid foundation for those recommendations. Our law has been developed over hundreds of years, personally I would not want to lose that and start from scratch.

So what few crucial skills from the entire list would be on your list?

JustABear

Post by JustABear » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 am

Regarding lawyer. It isn't the law that has been the problem. It is the current interpretation and application that has drifted from the original intent. If lawyers wish to "argue" the law that is fine. That is their job. When they begin to interpret the law.. that is when they should be put on the road... Just sayin'

Mooswa
Canada

Post by Mooswa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:44 am

Oh you folks have to excuse my tendency to being a little warped with regards to lawyers. I worked in the legal system for quite a while and the result of this was my bad attitude towards most lawyers. We must have rules and 'laws' are by and large, decent ones. It is indeed the way they are interpreted and applied that is the issue these days. It has become more of a system of legal administration as oppose to a 'justice system' as justice is something that occurs infrequently now in the system.

ICRCC......... "So what few crucial skills from the entire list would be on your list?" Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. What skills do I possess or what skills do I see as crucial to have in general for when the SHTF? Sorry, maybe I am just not getting enough sleep that last few days.
Let no good deed go unpunished.

Gravlore

Post by Gravlore » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:11 am

Perhaps ther needs to be a list for a specific event. It seems we are listing every known occupation other than most gubment jobs and store clerks. Shows where they come in the pecking order of life. How about a list where we would love to do without certain professions like Lawyers and lobbyists. It seems that would be a shorter list than the one posted above.

Return to “General Preparedness”