Vehicle carry water in cold climates

General Preparedness Discussions
scrounger
Canada

Re: Vehicle carry water in cold climates

Post by scrounger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 am

Nagol,

What containers do you store your water in?

I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:07 pm

I have 2 stainless Nalgene bottles and a pile of plastic sports type water bottles.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:20 am

I use disposable 500ml and recycle them dozens of times.
Change out the gallons of water I have in dedicated bag in the car as well as the water in all my packs. Had one bottle develop a pin hole leak but as it was winter and frozen, only discovered when thawing in sink for refreshing.

Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:06 pm

I like my stainless bottles but they are used daily and used when I’m in the bush.
I use the stainless specifically because I can boil water in them. They can sit in a fire if needed. Plastic and titanium won’t hold up to that.

But my kits are all modular, edc, ghb, bob, bushcraft, hiking or camping.... they are all built on one another. I’ve found it’s cheaper to get a single product I can use for all than get specifics for a single activity.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Agree wholeheartedly on metal cups... mt plastic ones are for immediate use and to have lots of water in vehicle at all times. Also have katadyn purifier

Man your right about one bag being cheaper, wife gave me big stink eyes when I was on a buying binge :lol:
In my situation, I went with having the option of quickly grabbing a bag and leaving on foot fast. I also made a note near packs to remind me to grab certain things like second gps, money, maybe second set of socks... from other bags.
Have three bags, plus other car stuff that would obviously stay in vehicle. One for carry in the city to meetings so I have meds, a water bottle, rope, light, fire, comes...this tiny bag would be stretched thin for hike home in the winter and in my condition would require help from people along the way to get me home. So if I did need to walk home, I would knock on doors along the way and ask for water. Have water pills but I figure I would likely try and seek a ride home by people going my way once I was out of congested panic of city core.

One bag for hike home, via roads, fields with food for two days.

And third bag for bush hike

Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:30 pm

I have 2 basic bags for vehicles.
Enough to survive 48-72hrs outside. Not in comfort but passable(I’ve tested them at -25) I work as much as 200km from home so even that wouldn’t be enough in a worst case scenario. We also use the same bags for day trips/ hikes.

I have a buttpack(hold over from my CF days I guess) with personal essentials. Hygiene, fire, rain, compass, map and a titanium cup. I pair that with one of two rucks, one for extended trips and one for short excursions. They will hold everything else I generally carry.
And for extreme situations I have tactical gear which fits into the same systems.

So in an emergency I have 3 components to grab(butt pack, Ruck, LBE) which all work together and will cover most needs.

The family each has a basic kit to cover essentials. And an appropriate means of defence.

Nothing is ever set in stone as mission dictates gear.

Return to “General Preparedness”