Prep "HACKs"

General Preparedness Discussions
Clarence
Canada

Re: Prep "HACKs"

Post by Clarence » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Any fun hacks related to dear covid? Besides bleach mixtures for cleaning, what else do we have to help fix or stretch out any supplies, innovation for gardening..

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Anyone have feedback on using a couple of strands of electrified cattle wire to keep deer out of a garden? Thinking maybe three strands going up nine feet high.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:19 am

3 strands at 3’ interval to go up to 9 feet may work, but it wouldn’t keep the smaller thieves away. Why not fencing the whole area? The previous owners fenced the garden and orchard, probably 150x20 (I’ve never measured myself), burying the bottom at least 6” in the ground. No critters of any kind can come into the gardens. As a bonus, I use that fence as treillis to grow my pole beans, works really well and decorates the area in the summer.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 am

Cost and effort is main reason. Rabbits or coon haven’t been an issue yet but if I ramp up with peas, beans.... I am expecting deer. Same deer who ate all my costly apple and fruit trees saplings 20 plus year ago. Taste good in a stew but only allowed one per year so I am outnumbered

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:58 pm

Halarious helicopilot! We've been using the IKEA bags for years as they are tough enough for a large loads for wood.
We also use the dryer lint for fire starter.....works like a hot dam! And if you reload your own ammo, use the used up Bounce sheets for picking up media (they attract the dirt and powder) when shining up brass ammo in the tumbler.

Return to “General Preparedness”