General Preparedness Discussions
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: New Netflix Docuseries: Pandemic - How To Prevent An Outbreak

Post by thecrownsown » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:32 am

Clarence wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 pm
Read and weep, swear, curse the morons.... not prep related but certainly “may” be related to why we are in this potential mess. ###k me!

Just flipping awesome!

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... aponize-it

i think instead of citing questionable sources like zerohedge, going striaght to the source for what we know is prudent.
https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/23 ... 2019-ncov)

i see little benefit to anyone in spreading that other stuff.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:45 am

Fact, were Chinese citizens not tossed from Canada for some behavior allegedly occurring at a level 4 lab? Do you think they grow alfalfa sprouts in there!

Did the government ever tell us exactly what the hell they were up to? When things are concealed it doesn’t bode well for future truths.

Look I do not wish to engage in a debate.

Here’s an article I just came across. Now follow some key points with me and see if this sounds like an intelligent response from a government that went through sars and what with we see / let alone don’t see going on in that lovely open society of China.

https://ottawasun.com/news/national/vir ... 51da6a978f

Say what, mr x has symptoms, lands at busiest airport in canada,last week, home to the odd person of Chinese decent, / sarc, and what does our great medical and national health watchers do? They miss it! Well isn’t that just stellar and reassuring. Geez am I ever glad we have such crack squads, and the guy was from ground zero to boot! Maybe the thermal scanners needed a patch from two years ago and they had to wait for tech support in India to help troubleshoot. Oh we did have some but it was a late flight and overtime wasn’t authorized? Just making it up but one does wonder who dropped the ball! How many other balls bounced out the doors?

You mentioned WHO, wonder what they think of this stellar cockup.sure there’s many pictograms and best practice memos on the way. Thank goodness.

Our good doctor mentions working rapidly to contact those near him on the plane. Haven’t contacted the entire plane yet? Guy must have gone to the bathroom a few times on that long flight! Wonder how many he coughed, sneezed on or how many touched the same handles in the washroom? Reaching out? Seriously, everyone should have been tracked down. Are they all in quarantine for next two week? What about all the things buddy touched out in the public

Oh and this one cracks me up. Did you see the self quarantine part! Really, pinky swear you won’t duck out for some food or call in a delivery and pay the nice man with cash or credit card. Remember now, family members could all be carrier’s!

The WHO are bureaucrats and many are political appointees.... another United Nations resting home. do I think they will stand up to China? Stand up to businesses! Not likely now make no mistake, I am no anti businessman, to the contrary.
No, like most no decision type entities, they will wait for “consensus “ / no one will take the lead early, wait for the blob to finally agree to do the obvious. You know sort of like the UN in any dozen African conflicts..., no one get to serious to quick now, we want to be 1000000% sure, there’s careers and positions involved here.

Credibility, is key. We see things like above failing now. People should be in forced quarantine or under 24/7 surveillance, so they can’t skip out for a quick bite at the local buffet or visit a person, take a “quick” cab ride, hey no problem, I was only gone for an hour, no fowl done!
Is the article accurate? No need to believe it and I said as much “if accurate...”

I do however see dumb moves in play so have almost zero confidence in our government to be proactive or in the case of buddy, completely missing his visible illness at the best or second best place to grab him. Oh and obviously he managed to get on the plane, so what’s the deal with our people over there? Guess they missed the memo from WHO on what to look for. Admittedly, only a few million in quarantine in China at the time, people dropping over on the streets. So maybe the air crew missed it. :shock: The first opportunity to say no way your getting on the plane and they blew it. Now before anyone says I am mean. We could put buddy on a proper quarantine plane but not sit with a few hundred others. Does canada have such planes ready to roll for this? Bet you right now the answer would be no. I have chatted with professionals in the field of nasty bio thingies and unless you have your stuff together real good, your goose, snake, rat or wolf pup meat is cooked! Wonder how many of the flight, staff at airport... are ”self quarantining themselves”. Likely none, yet everyone of them should be. Remember potential two week period of no signs. Has canada offered to pay them to stay home? Doubt it but a cheap thing to do, to buy assurance all is well. Flipping joke. One of the things I did professionally was find holes in systems or policy and boy did I have an easy time!

Zero confidence in most of our response so far. Rubbing rabbits feet is what we are doing. Some token steps but From what we know, not enough. Obviously not very effective. Some great people trying hard but system or response mechanisms are not up to the challenge. We see it with floods, fires, etc etc.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:30 pm

I don’t envy governments around the world, not organizations like WHO. They wait too long and an epidemic ensues with thousands or millions deads. They “jump the gun” at every contagious infections around the world, and everyone stops listening, including when they get “it” right.

I don’t trust China, but the news are probably more accurate than from about half the world. They’re doing the right thing by isolating population. It just looks worse when they have the population density they have.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:41 pm

thecrownsown wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:43 am
its not a documentary from a prepper view. its from world experts and doctors from different countries and regions. if anything it will give a lot of food for thought. let me know what you think clarence. :)
Crown, . I watched as much of the Netflix series as I could.
As you mentioned, certainly not a prepper themed documentary.

For me, I found it a dud, to much drama and focus on peoples staring into the distance while driving a car... I think they tried and for someone who has never given any thought to it.. it may be of help but for all that filmtime, I found it to boring and of not much concrete help.
Again for me, but maybe a person watching is intrigued to stay tuned and it does help

Thanks for link, worth people quickly scanning and deciding if they wish to watch in detail

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:55 pm

helicopilot wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:30 pm
I don’t envy governments around the world, not organizations like WHO. They wait too long and an epidemic ensues with thousands or millions deads. They “jump the gun” at every contagious infections around the world, and everyone stops listening, including when they get “it” right.

I don’t trust China, but the news are probably more accurate than from about half the world. They’re doing the right thing by isolating population. It just looks worse when they have the population density they have.
Help, it certainly is a huge responsibility and I truly, truly do not envy their situation. I have struggled many a time and question my observations before expressing them to decision makers.

I used to gather info on a problem and ask questions. Usually didn’t take to long before one starts seeing people lying or bing unaware of even the simplest of things they are paid to be on top of. Sometimes, some pretty critical information that leaves one gob smacked.

So, all we can do is try and interpret the news for things that seem plausible, use past experiences to try and smell BS, onside peoples/ governments, business and various groups agendas, who’s in who’s pocket and therefore influenced....

Know this, people... lie, things are covered up and things are sometimes pushed so people react a certain way. It’s a capital B to try and figure out.

For me, I am not running around with my hair on fire, to the contrary, I find myself pretty calm.

So soldier on with my preps, going to top up vinegar for cleaning purposes, rubbing alcohol, Clorox wipes, oil and filters for vehicles. ( won’t be traveling to much of bad, but need and should of already have in stock but cocked up on that one :oops: )

Fingers crossed and apologize for my previous length response.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:47 pm

helicopilot wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 pm
Clarence, think what you said about “close all borders right now”. Imagine you are one of thousands of Canadians vacationing in the south right now and you are told, “sorry, can’t come back”.

What would your workplace do? What would your family do? What would schools or hospitals missing staff do?

The response needs to match threat. So far, it looks like proper measures are in place and we can keep things like that unless the issue worsens drastically.
I've seen many a call for travel restrictions in the past week or so in response to this. Sure, it may sound logical, but think of it this way. If you are driving along a road and come to a roadblock, do you say Oh Well and go back home? Not a chance. You find a detour around it. People who want to get a flight out of China will simply go to another country and fly out from there. In that respect, a complete travel ban into the country, including cargo shipments would be the only way. Now think of how many jobs in Canada depend on international trade or what percentage of goods are imported. A complete ban on incoming people as well as goods would likely cause a SHTF scenario that none of us really want to face. In the end, actions like that would cause way more harm than a pandemic virus could.
Industry would no longer be able to source raw materials from outside the country, food imports would come to a grinding halt. Unemployment would and desperation would both soar overnight.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 am

Denob wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:47 pm
helicopilot wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 pm
Clarence, think what you said about “close all borders right now”. Imagine you are one of thousands of Canadians vacationing in the south right now and you are told, “sorry, can’t come back”.

What would your workplace do? What would your family do? What would schools or hospitals missing staff do?

The response needs to match threat. So far, it looks like proper measures are in place and we can keep things like that unless the issue worsens drastically.
I've seen many a call for travel restrictions in the past week or so in response to this. Sure, it may sound logical, but think of it this way. If you are driving along a road and come to a roadblock, do you say Oh Well and go back home? Not a chance. You find a detour around it. People who want to get a flight out of China will simply go to another country and fly out from there. In that respect, a complete travel ban into the country, including cargo shipments would be the only way. Now think of how many jobs in Canada depend on international trade or what percentage of goods are imported. A complete ban on incoming people as well as goods would likely cause a SHTF scenario that none of us really want to face. In the end, actions like that would cause way more harm than a pandemic virus could.
Industry would no longer be able to source raw materials from outside the country, food imports would come to a grinding halt. Unemployment would and desperation would both soar overnight.
Denob, I agree with a great deal you say. Going to out on a limb here :lol: and guess there are many rich, medium income people screwing off, and guess what, they are coming in on open flights right now, hello dear canada, look not sick, all good says agent after asking if Freddy has no cigarettes, stun gun or alcohol to declare. Yes indeed, same group that missed fred sweating last week is right on top of things tonight and checking for duty on alcohol

let alone the nice luxury yachts that should I have the money, I would be taking. Then I get into my nice launch when close to shore and come into the US or canada, easy to do. Brother in law picks me up in Mercedes and all good.

Or they go to Vietnam......get false passport.... yeppers. But for the love of god, at least we do something to make it harder. Right now is a joke. Do we really, really need fred Wong from China. No we do not

Now ships. Well if our army is worth anything, we should easily be able to keep the natives on board, if stretched, pull police from giving speeding ticket, forgo revenue from that for a month, forget all the fluff and actually focus on security of the nation. open containers and check for little people stashed away. Fred’s hiding inside, toss his or her ass back on the ship, no bs refugee claims, no tim3 for that crap. If not now then when? Heres the up tick to this thing. We hopefully get the idea it was dumb to rely upon an obvious enemy for anything remotely important! We learn and because we are supposedly so smart, we adapt! Awesome “teachable “ moment. Get smart and win. We can do it, IF we get smart and suck it up. Going to feel the pain, so at least make it worth while

I realize I may sound flippant but I am very serious. Grow a set, do ones job of keeping nation ( you know, actual citizens) secure, the hell with other nations feelings. Do ones job of securing the borders, it can be done IF one is serious. If canada hasn’t the means to feed themselves, wash our own cloths in machines we can make or service, produce our own fuel, power... then it’s a terrible reflection on the nation we claim to be. There will be people at Walmart....... who will not have toasters to sell but rest assured there would be other jobs that they can easily do. Does no one remember or recall stories about what we did as a nation, victory gardens, metal and rubber drives...

I am no idiot and fully realize a few things have changed but mother of pearl, there are things we can do. As preppers, we know we can and will need to adapt.

I hate these theoretical in an email formats and trying to combine so many things in such a wide range of scenarios.

What should we do if China ever declares war, say oh sorry, we need our sandals, tv’s, fridges, stoves, pots and pans more then freedom? So please come take us over, ever so sorry to upset you, just keep the cheap pots and sandals coming in! Frig that

Sorry, my priority would be the health and welfare of MY CITIZENS,not a business bottom line, feelings of some nation/ that are my actual enemies but who due to stupidly and corruption by our alleged leader taking bribes are upset. If we are worth saving, we should be able to suck it up and do what WE need to get through this. We CAN do this and come out stronger on the other side. Canadians claim to be caring people, let’s put it to test and see how strong we are. If we fail, then we become China’s Bi##h Lord help us if we can’t be who we claim to be. Let’s rock!

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 am

Ummm... I still think a measured response to a measured problem is appropriate. After a month, the number of death worldwide remains less than the number of deaths across USA and Canada’s highway on a typical long weekend. We can’t throw the baby with the bath water.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:46 pm

No question there’s going to be many opinions. The Monday morning quarterbacks are going to have a field day laughing or being mad at people.

As I noted in another post, intel is key and from what I see, it’s simply not there.

Was listening g to a news or commentary type this AM and he asked a doctor if surgical masks were of any value. Doc said no. Now, for perhaps a good 90% of the population they just heard no to masks. Well the radio commentators asked a dumb or half honest question. It’s true surgical masks are not all that good for viruses. Two things should have happened, the radio dude should have also asked, what about those N95 masks??? And of course, if the doctor was proactive, he would have said, yes surgical masks are not going to do the job, BUT, “I”would say an N95 would be a decent form of protection if properly fitted, put on removed etc.

Lots and lots of all over the map questions and half baked responses. As I said earlier, give it till end of next week. I am guessing it will get worse.

Here’s an example, if people in wuhan area are in trouble, is it not possible someone from there infected someone in Shanghai last week and they then travel to canada or Europe a week later? Of wait, there’s a case now in Germany where that very thing just happened LOL, LOL. Chinese parts rep in Shanghai was visited by parents from Wuhan, there didn’t know it but were infected. Chinese Rep goes to visit the mother ship in Germany and infected a German . Now was that visit needed? Of course not. Would world commerce die if sales reps from China couldn’t meet in montreal, Toronto, Edmonton...for a month or even six? No, and if China’s sales drops but we saved a hundred, five hundred, few thousand, maybe a million CANADIAN citizens lives or all the drama of hospitalization, closures of offices... would that not be worth stopping all those coming from China and other Asian countries?

But you and I are both correct when we say appropriate measures, info... different opinions for now, Here’s one thing I look at. If I locked things down as tight as I could and nothing happened / China took care of things and it all went away in a month. What would be result? China upset with canada. Who cares is my opinion. The other thing we would benefit from, is our real life ability to test our alleged counter measures. Canada would survive financially, we would learn about our supposed plans and we would have a win win. Sitting in a state of waiting, fretting and purchasing stuff “just in case” is also costly.

Another way of looking at this is. Let’s say we had sent in a few people to take out Hitler in 1938. Would that not have been better proactive measure then Hundreds of million dead and only ending it in 45. From the sounds of it, we whack people from time to time. So a little preemptive border closures and disruption of sales staff and tourists, isn’t high on my worry chart. No one is saying invade China, we tell them, hey can we help? CDC just offered and China said no.,!!! ( weird eh, China not wanting help, wonder why not, maybe there’s a clue there we should be paying attention too)

We can continue to allow their HD tv’s, flip flops, car parts, toasters and T-shirt’s in, so they continue to make money off us, just no one from their country sets a toe in canada. Don’t like it, cool, they lose as we are in a trade deficit, and again we win because they won’t be over here stealing our trade secrets. Win win as far as I am concerned. In fraud case or other investigations, one looks for motive, who is pushing for no action.... Some politicians and businesses seem more concerned about China then their citizens,

For me, I am now waiting to see what occurs. Zero confidence in our counter measures because I see so many large holes in the fence And little intelligent intel. Here’s hoping we get lucky

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:39 am

What intel are you looking for Clarence? The internet is plastered with CORONAVIRUS headlines, more or less all reporting the same thing. Including pictures of empty streets and Chinese officials suited up in hazmat gear. For the records, I see no points of opening the old common prepper rhetoric that "MSMs are hiding the truth!" and President Trump's own outcries of "Fake News!" whenever the message isn't popular (to him).

Return to “General Preparedness”