5 gallon pail

Discussions about Food Storage
peppercorn

5 gallon pail

Post by peppercorn »

So as some of you may be aware getting mylar 5 gallon bags is darn near impossible at the moment with most all places back ordered. I had been putting rice into 5 gallon pails and using silicone to seal the lid. Then a few days ago I got the idea that I should be able to heat can the rice in the pails just like I do when using 1/2 gallon jars, and as the rice cools in the pail, a vacuum should be pulled just as in the jars.
rice.jpg
rice.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 201 times

So I put 20kg of rice into the oven and brought the temp up to 220 degrees, held it for 1.5 hrs then dumped the rice into the pail( lots of shaking the pail to get it all to settle). Then I waited a few hrs and put the lid on, flipped the pail upside down and siliconed the lid on, filled the gap from the lid to the pail, used 1/3 of a tube of silicone. It took about a day and a half for all that rice to cool down so no heat could be felt with my hand.

The result was a vacuumed sealed pail (food grade), the lid sucked down so hard to the top of the rice that when I shake the pail I cant even hear the grains of rice move. It turned out better than I hoped.

Just making up labels to put on the pails now.
label for rice.jpg
label for rice.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
helicopilot
Canada

Re: 5 gallon pail

Post by helicopilot »

71,000 calories for $33, that is pretty dang good!
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

It is. I actually expect my silicone seal to leak in air over time, but so little I expect it not to matter.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

IF kept away from sun, heat or freezing, I think your silicon seal will last a solid fifteen years at least. That’s a nice fix
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Just did up another pail. This time I filled the groove in the lid before I hammered it onto the pail, flipped it upside down and then filled the gap as before. Unbelievably, this took a full 1/2 a tube of silicone.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

I am done with rice storage now, I have all my bases covered, Rice in Jars, in vacuumed sealed bags placed into galvanized garbage cans, rice in tubs, and now storage into 5 gallon pails. Thats 8 pails in the picture, over a half million calories just in this picture. All stored (or will be) in different places.
This vacuum sealing the pails worked better than I expected, all the lids are sucked down tight. None have leaked since I started doing it this way.
Pails of rice.jpg
Pails of rice.jpg (112.84 KiB) Viewed 95 times

Thats 6 months of food storage (3000 cal a day) for a cost of 264.00 dollars. Of course you better like rice if thats all you are storing.
edibleforestguy
Canada

Post by edibleforestguy »

Thank you for this detail and it gives us an incentive to likewise try sealing rice in plastic pails the way you did. My lovely wife, who is remarkably skilled in all things homesteading, remarked that when she once heated dry rice in a similar way you describe, she was unsatisfied with the final product once cooked. She says that the rice lost its texture and become mushy. Have you tried cooking it yourself yet?
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

edibleforestguy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:16 am Thank you for this detail and it gives us an incentive to likewise try sealing rice in plastic pails the way you did. My lovely wife, who is remarkably skilled in all things homesteading, remarked that when she once heated dry rice in a similar way you describe, she was unsatisfied with the final product once cooked. She says that the rice lost its texture and become mushy. Have you tried cooking it yourself yet?
Cant believe I didnt think of cooking it...this week I will open a jar and cook some. Will report back.

Return to “Food Storage”