Ask a leader food storage questions here

Discussions about Food Storage
MrsPrepwPets

Re: Ask a leader food storage questions here

Post by MrsPrepwPets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:40 am

kootenay kid wrote:I think things brown nicer in coconut oil than bacon fat.....
Sacrilege!
(It's because of the scorching temps between them, palm and coconut oil can get hotter without burning. It's still sacrilege.)
;)
-P

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Can you store mushrooms long term using the Mylar Bag / O2 method?

I'm think dehydrated Shiitake Mushrooms.

Also, does Textured Vegetable Protein age well in Mylar/O2?
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:59 pm

I have had mushrooms that I have done for up to three years at this time, but I have no data further then that from personal use and I do not have the Textured Veg protein, so someone else will need to talk to that one..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Right now I am using dried mushrooms that are about 6 years old. I say about, because the label that the date was written on is partially gone, so am using my best guestamation. They were just stored in a glass gallon jar with a really tight fitting lid. I had some problems with the sharp edges of the mushrooms poking thru the mylar. The two small bags got punctured, picked up moisture and molded. Was quite a surprise to open a bag and find rotten mushrooms; so it is bottles for me. The ones I am using were stored in a dry, dark cupboard, and are every bit as good today as the day I stored them. Don't use TVP, so can not comment on that. Hope this helps.

KK

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:22 pm

We are considering purchasing a Food Saver brand vacuum sealer with a jar sealer. Would anyone please tell us if this would be a good investment, or not. I currently pack most od my dehydrated foof in 1.9 l jars. Would really like to vacuum seal those jars for longer term storage. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:38 pm

I have a food saver with the 2 sizes of jar sealers and use it on a regular basis. Its been a wonderful investment. I do long term storage with it and so much more. It is a bit tricky trying to vacuum seal mylar but once you get the trick its easy.

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Thank you Adagio for the info. I ordered a unit, including jar sealer and bottle stopper online today. Should be here in a couple of weeks, so will do an update then.

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Got our Food Saver a few days ago, and vacuumed up two pork roasts yesterday. Really worked well. Will have to order a large size jar sealer as the one that came with the unit is for regular sized jars, not wide mouth. Oh well, such is life! I do have one more question, though. Can I vacuum seal already frozen stuff like sausages, etc? I have several packs of specialty sausages (made just for us) in the freezer, that I would like to vacuum seal.
Thanks
KK

Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Sure you can vacuum seal frozen stuff. In fact it works better. I actually will sometimes lightly freeze meats or fruits prior to sealing them. Then your not dealing with the blood or meats juices getting sucked up the bags where it gets sealed.

RachelM
Canada

Post by RachelM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm

What's the storing difference between regular dried beans and the kinds provided by emergency storage companies (think #10 cans of Thrive, Nutri-Store, etc)?. From my point of view a regular bag of dried pintos/navy beans is $1-2/lb regular dried, whereas these cans seems to be around $10 per lb in a can that says 'for emergencies', and that's hard to justify.

Return to “Food Storage”