Ask a leader food storage questions here

Discussions about Food Storage
morningcoffee
Canada

Re: Ask a leader food storage questions here

Post by morningcoffee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:19 pm

Rachel, I think that a lot of the canned beans are pre-cooked and then dried and will be a quick cooking process as opposed to the dried beans in bags or in bulk food stores. You are paying for the convenience and the smaller amount of liquid required to make the food edible. I could be wrong but I think that may be the difference.

I'm not a food leader so I hope I am not stepping on toes, but I had looked at the same issue before...

"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:59 pm

The reason preparing and storing your own through mylar bags and/or cans is so popular is that you can do it yourself for a fraction of the cost of purchasing it pre packaged. For staples like Rice, Beans, Oats, etc. is makes the most economical sense to do this yourself. Storing mylar you can pack more into say a 5 gal. bucket. Bags have some forgiveness unlike #10 cans. Cans...whether you purchase them pre made them yourself your looking at a fixed amount of space. You can usually put a "bit" more in each can if your physically packing this yourself also. The LDS stopped packaging materials and you can only buy cans there now. Not sure unless you have your own setup where to go to can goods anymore in Ontario.

Where purchasing prepackaged is advantageous is when you start looking at fortified foods with nutrients/vitamins and also smaller prepackaged "meals." for example its nice to have meals pre made which only need to add water and be heated to give you pasta, or mashed potatoes, etc. Because balanced nutrients and vitamins are so important, its beneficial to have some of these fortified foods. That being said...they are wildly expensive in my opinion. Thrive, Mountain House, etc. do have some tasty items but extremely pricey. If your looking for good tasting but dont want to kill the budget Costco, FoodforLife are a couple other more moderately priced (but still expensive compared to bagging food yourself) routes to go.

Sorry if I sound long winded. But in summary...storing basic staples on your own is much more economical. The pre packaged food from companies is nice to have and their is a place for it. The storing difference is in your favour if you do it yourself.
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

RachelM
Canada

Post by RachelM » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks!

eastcoastprepper
Canada

Post by eastcoastprepper » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Adagio wrote:I have a food saver with the 2 sizes of jar sealers and use it on a regular basis. Its been a wonderful investment. I do long term storage with it and so much more. It is a bit tricky trying to vacuum seal mylar but once you get the trick its easy.
I own a foodsaver unit, and also mylar bags.

I "thought" I could use the mylar bags on the food saver unit, but the bags seem to stick on the foodsaver, and they do not form a seal or get vacuumed at all.

Additionally, I'm worried it might damage my foodsaver unit.

Should I be able to do this?

I find even the off market brand foodsaver type bags don't even work, and I end up throwing a ton of that material away.
I've learned to not cheap out and buy foodsaver brand bags, but they are mega expensive.

When I use the mylar bags, I've developed a technique where I use a standard household iron, seal 3/4 of the top of the bag leaving a channel on one side, then, I insert a tube that I've duct taped to a regular vacuum cleaner and suck out the air while I run the iron over the rest of the top of the bag to seal it.
Kida sux (pardon the pun!) to do it this way, but it does work, but not as good as the food saver could do it.

If you know of a way to use the foodsaver unit with the rest of my mylar bags, please let me know!
:)

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 am

Mylar is typically used with oxygen absorbers.

If your referring as a food saver to the 'vacuum seal' bags, mylar is an exensive option. Actually so are the bags they sell in the stores alongside the vacuum seal machines....

The best and least expensive option: Milk Bags. Not the big ones that you buy milk in, but those clear plastic 1L bags. They work great.

eastcoastprepper
Canada

Post by eastcoastprepper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:18 am

Milk bags?
What about BPA?
Where do you get "milk bags"??

Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Mylar is indeed a bit tricky to seal with a foodsaver but it can be done. I cut the top off of a foodsaver bag (about an inch) and place this vertically in the opening of the mylar and then seal. I also combine this with an oxygen absorber for maximum effectiveness.

eastcoastprepper
Canada

Post by eastcoastprepper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Do you mean on the outside of the mylar bag, or on the inside?

Will the mylar bag damage my foodsaver unit?
Last time I tried, it melted mylar all over the inside of the foodsaver.
:)

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:21 pm

eastcoastprepper wrote:Milk bags?
What about BPA?
Where do you get "milk bags"??
There is no BPA in milk bags. I just noticed your from the East Coast..perhaps they arnt as popular there. Milk bags are sold commonly here in Ontario in every grocery store, and most convenience stores.

So a large LPDE bag will contain 3 - 1 liter bags of milk. This is how its sold.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Just a comment, as far as I know, you can not buy "milk bags" I believe that he means that you can reuse the one liter milk bags, which assumes you buy milk in that form..

I have heard they do work good from a few sources, but as I have milking animals and otherwise, only buy dry or canned milk for the farm, I have personally never tried them to date.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Food Storage”