Honey what Type + where to buy online Canada for LTS

Discussions about Food Storage
Goldie
Canada

Honey what Type + where to buy online Canada for LTS

Post by Goldie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:22 pm

What type of honey is best for long term storage ( LTS ) ? liquid or solid ( is that creamed or crystallized )

Do we want raw unpasterized or pasterized for LTS ?

Where can we buy it online in Canada ? I prefer glass for LTS not plastic

What brands are best ?

oldschool
Canada

Re: Honey what Type + where to buy online Canada for LTS

Post by oldschool » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Just my personnel belief - raw unpasteurized from a local bee keeper.

http://www.bees-and-beekeeping.com/raw- ... efits.html

mercian
Canada

Post by mercian » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:50 am

Hi Goldie, these questions you ask sound simple to answer but anything to do with bees & honey seems to be complicated. For storage I would treat it just like any other food: cool constant temperature, no light, no moisture and no air.
Honey does not go “bad” as many foods do; it remains wholesome after decades. -Eva Crane, “A Book of Honey
To answer your questions simply:
What type of honey is best for long term storage ( LTS ) ? liquid or solid ( is that creamed or crystallized )
All honey crystalizes creamed is just smaller crystals so all honey becomes solid. So if you store liquid honey it will turn solid within 12 months if stored correctly.

Do we want raw unpasterized or pasterized for LTS ?
See different forms of honey below. Bees make the honey the best way they can for LTS. They reduce moisture and add preservatives all on their own.
What is the best type of honey ?
Honeycomb Untouched by human hands. Contains all the goodness that nature has put into the honey. Bit awkward to chew.
Raw Honey Extracted and cleaned using a settling tank at room temperature. Contains virtually all the goodness that nature put into the honey. Will granulate quickly and may separate in the jar with liquid fructose on top and granular glucose on the bottom.
Liquid Honey - Filtered with minimal heat Extracted and cleaned using a 50 micron filter. Honey is heated to the same temperature inside a hive on a hot day. Contains a great deal of the goodness that nature put into the honey. Will granulate in two to six months, depending on the type of flowers the bees visited to gather the nectar.
Creamed Honey Creamed honey is made from pure liquid honey through a controlled crystallization process to produce very fine uniform crystals, thus resulting in a creamy smooth consistency. Creamed honey has nothing added and has the same nutritional value as its liquid counterpart.
Liquid Pasteurized Honey Extracted and cleaned using flash heating to a high temperature, super filtered through a 1 to 5 micron filter, and quickly cooled. Loses much of the goodness that nature provided, but will last over 9 months on the store shelf without granulating.
Where can we buy it online in Canada ? I prefer glass for LTS not plastic
If you can find a local guy he will probably pour your honey in to glass jars for you if you wish. I know I would, LOL. I do agree with you, my LTS honey is stored in plastic pails I guess we could try and pour it into Mylar bags then put it into pails. That sounds like it could get pretty sticky. Are you thinking of mason jars?
I read this on pickl-it.com:
The ancients stored raw, unfiltered honey in sealed porous clay containers (and not in BPA-toxic, plastic honey-bears), stacked in cool-temperature caves. The gases created during crystallization, push the lighter-weight oxygen out through the porous clay. Cool temperatures help speed crystallization, resulting in a finely granulated creamed honey that not only tastes great, but naturally-preserves the honey’s nutritional value.

What brands are best ?
Sorry I have no idea.

I’m a beekeeper, I extract liquid honey from the comb. I do keep it warm so it will run through the pipe from the centrifuge to the storage tank. I then pour the honey from the tank into the containers for sale. If the honey I am extracting is from canola, it may crystalize in the extracting process quite quickly. If the honey is from alfalfa or clover, it will take 2 weeks to 2 months before it crystalizes. Honey naturally crystalizes but the type of plant (flower) that the bees have taken the nectar from, has something to do with the amount of time it takes to crystalize. There are many factors that will determine the time it will take honey to crystallize. Heat will prevent honey from crystallizing but it will also cause it to degrade. Honey resists crystallization best when kept at about 21 deg. Celsius.
The honey we produce is raw, it has not been strained, filtered, processed or pasteurized. It has not been blended with lower grade honey from other countries where there are no enforced rules on medications used. It still has its natural vitamins and living enzymes. It will also have pollen, honey comb bits(bees wax), Propolis and even some bee fragments in it, yum yum!! This is, from my experience, how most hobby and small honey producers make their honey and are usually happy to talk to you and show you around. Nearly all the beekeepers I have met are very helpful and understanding, and only too happy to talk your ear off, if you ask them questions about bees and honey.

Goldie
Canada

Post by Goldie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Thank you for this information. As I started to read your message, I thought to myself,
Mercian must be a bee keeper :)

I will do some more searching and possibly return with more questions.

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 pm

I don't know if they are willing to ship (you'd have to contact them) but I'll shill Greidanus Honey Mill out of Stettler, Alberta, for anyone interested in excellent, pure honey. I've purchased small containers of honey from virtually every farmers market & stand I've come across, but Greidanus' is what I buy for daily eating. Minimal amount of processing goes into it, and the honey is *usually* very clear/white. I just store it in the containers I buy it in, but I only have about a year's worth, mostly going into my morning coffee (most of my labour gets done in the morning :lol: ).

http://www.honeymill.ca/hm/index.php/ho ... bulk-sales

I would bet shipping would be prohibitively expensive, unless you're buying a "pallet"-sized quantity, or filling a tote, that kinda thing.

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:33 pm

I have recently found an apiary near Chestermere, Ab, that ships at a reasonable price. Here's their website:
http://foreverbee.ca/
Spoke with Annanie, and they will indeed ship a 7kg pail to anywhere in Alberta for $15. I didn't inquire about the $20 shipping to the rest of the nation, but I have no reason to suspect it's a ploy. I still have a few kilos left from my previous stockpile, but will almost certainly take Forever Bee's honey for a spin, next.

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:44 pm

This is also an interesting development in honey extraction, for those with a current, or future, apiary . Flow directly from hive to container.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow ... -beehive#/
Neat stuff.

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Well, got my first taste of a pail from "Forever Bee". Great stuff, light coloured, excellent flavour, minimal processing. $15 shipping anywhere in Alberta was sweet, too. Worth buying from, if you're in the market.

Goldie
Canada

Post by Goldie » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Just a thought about containers.

Tall narrow containers turn out to be a pain when the honey becomes solid.
A wider mouth container would work better for easy of getting honey out when solid.

Return to “Food Storage”